Search
Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:55 am

After a huge remodel, Hemingway's took over for Los Cabos on Soi 14 behind the Sheraton. It's owned by a guy from Philly, Greg. The place is gorgeous. What we ate - pizza, cheese & salumi plate, & a seafood pasta were all excellent (as were the mojitos). Finished off at the bar upstairs for a cigar & a cognac. All in all, a beautiful well run establishment and not real expensive. Well worth a look, even if just for drinks. We were in there before the official opening and it was quite slow. They're so new, who knows what'll happen if they get a mob in the joint. LINK: http://www.hemingwaysbangkok.com/htt...ysbangkok.com/
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
We've had some group lunches at Sunrise Tacos (original location) and my meals have not been edible. When it first opened years ago, and was one of the only options, it was OK.
Agree on that. I find myself every year at least once in this place, mostly in late night hours (after Scratch Dog etc.) and I can confirm the deteriorating level of quality of the food there. The fajitas were OK a few years back and are merely edible today (talking about the original location).

Also concur on it was for a long the only tex mex choice (I knew of). Today they come out of nowhere, everywhere... at least that's my current impression after walking around Salae Deng during last week. Behind Pat Pong at Silom Rd. opened two (or three?) places alone. One place even hired salsa/merenge dancer to lure customer in.

Anyway. I will try that Charly Brown place. Otherwise I do not have high hopes anymore for decent Tex Mex in BKK... if it's necessary here is an entirely different question.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
After a huge remodel, Hemingway's took over for Los Cabos on Soi 14 behind the Sheraton. It's owned by a guy from Philly, Greg. The place is gorgeous. What we ate - pizza, cheese & salumi plate, & a seafood pasta were all excellent (as were the mojitos). Finished off at the bar upstairs for a cigar & a cognac. All in all, a beautiful well run establishment and not real expensive. Well worth a look, even if just for drinks. We were in there before the official opening and it was quite slow. They're so new, who knows what'll happen if they get a mob in the joint. LINK: http://www.hemingwaysbangkok.com/htt...ysbangkok.com/
Just saw this. The place looks enticing... ^
If possible I'll try that tonight.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by nkedel
Sunrise Tacos is edible; it's a Thai imitation of the food at Chevy's or El Torito, not of anything authentically Mexican. For chain Western food in Asia, it's OK, but that's a pretty low bar.
We live in Southern California where Mexican food is abundant (not the Taco Bell style!) and hence our familiarity with it. We also been to Mexico more than 20 times and have very good experience with Mexican cuisine. Owned by a guy from the US state of Georgia (according to his employees), Sunrise Tacos food does not resemble anything Mexican. The food and the tortilla chips are awful in quality and preparation and there is hardly any value as the menu prices aren't cheap. This place is on my AVOID list and highly NOT recommended.

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We live in Southern California where Mexican food is abundant (not the Taco Bell style!) and hence our familiarity with it. We also been to Mexico more than 20 times and have very good experience with Mexican cuisine. Owned by a guy from the US state of Georgia (according to his employees), Sunrise Tacos food does not resemble anything Mexican. The food and the tortilla chips are awful in quality and preparation and there is hardly any value as the menu prices aren't cheap. This place is on my AVOID list and highly NOT recommended.

I have to agree with Kalboz here- when there was 1 Sunrise Tacos (the original on Sukhumvit) it was not too bad and especially at 4 AM in the morning when it was at peak capacity was fun if only for the crowd watching which was quite a scene a few years ago. Now- I don't think I would go here unless it was really an emergency to eat something sort of resembling Mexican food- better choice (although still not great) is the Mexican restaurant behind the SGS. Someone must like Sunrise Tacos though because it has expanded from one outlet to quite a few now and they have the large and quite expensive rent shopping centres vs. the original in a much lower rent location.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have to agree with Kalboz here- when there was 1 Sunrise Tacos (the original on Sukhumvit) it was not too bad and especially at 4 AM in the morning when it was at peak capacity was fun if only for the crowd watching which was quite a scene a few years ago. Now- I don't think I would go here unless it was really an emergency to eat something sort of resembling Mexican food- better choice (although still not great) is the Mexican restaurant behind the SGS. Someone must like Sunrise Tacos though because it has expanded from one outlet to quite a few now and they have the large and quite expensive rent shopping centres vs. the original in a much lower rent location.
Los Cabos was pretty decent, but expensive. It's gone - replaced by Hemingways.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Soi 11 is hardly a "red light district". You're way off there. Now, Love Scene is full of bar girls and their customers late night and is 50m from Cowboy. Food's real good if you like Issan cuisine. IMO there is no good Mexican food in Thailand, Vietnam, or Cambodia. We expect Mex to be cheap and w/the price of Mexican ingredients in SE Asia frequently astronomical, corners are cut.
As politely as I know how, let me suggest that you give Charley Brown's a fair try before you say there is no good Mex in Bangkok.

Also note: there is a difference between Mex and Tex-Mex. Charley Brown's is explicitly Tex-Mex.

I discovered the place five or six years ago, when I was wandering through, checking out the tapas place next door. At the time, they had a sign posted: "Best Tex-Mex in Bangkok!" I figured it was a joke: they were the ONLY Tex-Mex in Bangkok.

No, it wasn't a joke. The food was GOOD!, better than a lot of places I know Stateside. Talking with the manager after the meal, he told me that there were, at that time, four Tex-Mex places in Bangkok that he knew of.

It has been on my must-hit-when-in-town list ever since, even before I discovered their margaritas.

Oh, and I agree with you about Love Scene late at night. Think of it as local color and free entertainment while you enjoy the food.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:36 pm

I've eaten at Charlie Brown's and maybe 25 other restaurants serving Mexican like product in SE Asia. I have a chef friend who wanted to open Mex in Thailand, so everywhere we went had to try the local fare. They ranged from bad - to utterly inedible. Why bother, Thai food rocks !
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Soi 11 is hardly a "red light district". You're way off there. Now, Love Scene is full of bar girls and their customers late night and is 50m from Cowboy. Food's real good if you like Issan cuisine. IMO there is no good Mexican food in Thailand, Vietnam, or Cambodia. We expect Mex to be cheap and w/the price of Mexican ingredients in SE Asia frequently astronomical, corners are cut.

With an upcoming stay on Soi 18 I gotta ask: Where exactly is Love Scene? All too often Isaan food is dumbed (and sweetened) down to Bangkok standards and I'm always happy to try a new place.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
With an upcoming stay on Soi 18 I gotta ask: Where exactly is Love Scene? All too often Isaan food is dumbed (and sweetened) down to Bangkok standards and I'm always happy to try a new place.
It's on 23 on the L, maybe 1/2 way to SC from Suk. It's close to the Fish & Chips shop. You walk through the kitchen to the dining room.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's on 23 on the L, maybe 1/2 way to SC from Suk. It's close to the Fish & Chips shop. You walk through the kitchen to the dining room.
Thanks. This might suffice for late night grub.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's more the hole between places... but easy to identify by the "hanging things" like in so many Isan food places. I went by yesterday and gave it a look. It was after dinner so I did not eat. The salads looked promising though, as was the other stuff visible on the tables. The lady serving and the guy dealing with the food made a kind and inviting impression. I'll be back to see for real...
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
It's more the hole between places... but easy to identify by the "hanging things" like in so many Isan food places. I went by yesterday and gave it a look. It was after dinner so I did not eat. The salads looked promising though, as was the other stuff visible on the tables. The lady serving and the guy dealing with the food made a kind and inviting impression. I'll be back to see for real...
Thank you for that.

My wife, an Isaan-ite herself, when being told about this place remarked, 'what style of Isaan food?'
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:53 pm

Well the owner is from Petchaboon, if that's any help. I always thought it was interesting how many seafood items were on the menu (& I'm not talking river critters).
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:39 am

Can not recommend this place at all.
http://foodieontour.com/2013/04/hemingways-bangkok/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.