RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't believe so, based on past actions. However, it is not bailable, so count on a multi-month stay if you're arrested for same, particularly now. And, of course, you would be taken into custody on your next entry into Thailand as a number of people have discovered. The info is in the immigration computers.

A different approach might be simply to respect the grief of the Thais during this difficult time and not try to push the envelope, the same as you would for a neighbor at home who suffered such a loss and was in mourning.
Fully agree. I posed the question as it seemed a strange claim.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by ft101
Is lese-majeste an extraditable offence?
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't believe so....
Under Thailand’s Extradition Act 2251 (2008), a Lese-Majeste offence could potentially be extraditable. It qualifies in so far that it’s considered by the Thai Authorities to be a serious criminal act and the penalty is greater than one year (potentially up to 15 years).

Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries including the USA, UK and a number of EU countries but this doesn't stop them from applying for the extradition of someone in a country with whom they don't have a treaty.

Although Thailand might apply for the extradition of an individual from an overseas country, it would be up to the Court within that country to decide if that extradition warrant should be exercised based upon the information that has been provided with the warrant.

Even if they were able to identify the person, I personally think that it’s unlikely that the Thai Authorities would go down the extradition route for a Lese-Majeste offence committed by someone outside of Thailand.

Most likely the individual’s ‘tag’ would be placed on a database which is used to monitor internet traffic. Should that individual come to Thailand and use that ‘tag’ whilst they are in Thailand it would be flagged up together with the IP address that they used. It would then be a simple matter of a 5am knock on the door.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most joint extradition treaties stipulate that applicable crimes must be recognized in both countries. As most countries do not have lese majeste laws, extradition is not possible.

Thai authorities occasionally rattle their sabers, both to threaten political opponents and to whip up the ultra-royalists, saying they will lodge protests with foreign governments but nothing ever comes from this.

There has been at least one '5:00 AM case'; that of Thai-born American citizen Joe Gordon who was arrested during a trip back to Thailand (as much by accident - he was not arrested upon arrival, and it was not a result of some sophisticated IP address monitoring), and ended up serving 2 1/2 years.

Ultra-royalists have even threatened charging the U.S. Ambassador with lese majeste, apparently unaware that such a threat is itself a violation of the lese majeste law as Ambassadors serve with the endorsement of court of Chakri, as approved by the King.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today was the first day I spent outside the neighborhood for any length of time. Today is a Buddhist holiday, Wan Awk Phansa , the last day of Lent.

All clothing/fashion shops display only black clothing in the windows.
Uni Qlo, H & M were mobbed. Most people have some black clothes, specifically for mourning ceremonies, but most do not have enough for a month, or year. I certainly do not. Obviously poor people, and immigrant laborers, cannot be expected to get a whole new wardrobe. I think all government employees, and there are millions, have to wear black for the full year. Not sure how deep into the semi- and private employee pool this will extend but suspect no one will want to be subject to judgment. Uniforms are de rigueur here for many.

Most web-sites and apps are in black and white.

The color on the cable TV channels is muted, not entirely black and white, but unsaturated. The Dodgers and Cubs uniforms look mostly grey/black rather than blue.

I'm guessing that movies shown in cinemas would not be similarly impacted?

AFAIK, alcohol sales may be prohibited through Monday. Not sure about beyond, but I would expect bars to be quiet (no music allowed), and maybe early closing times, like 9:00 - 10:00 PM? Obviously this is uncharted territory, and there will be some variations.

The nightly mourning ceremony is interesting to watch.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
For tourists visiting in a week... is it mandatory to wear black? I obviously won't be wearing any colorful clothing, but will gray and navy do? Also, anything to look out for aside from no obscenely loud talking or laughing in public? Street food vendors still open? Alcohol still served in big hotels?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:01 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Black and white, or all black, or all white, or darks. Try to mix black with it.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by transpac
Rama 9 delayed coronation for ~ 4 years after the tragic death of his older brother on 9 June 1946. A Prince Regent 'ruled' in his stead as he left to return to his studies in Switzerland. The Coronation took place on 5 May 1950. But technically his reign began upon the death of his brother, Rama 8, the then King.
Of course that was a completely different situation given the sudden death of King Ananda as well as the youth of His Majesty. In this case the CP is 64 years old and has been performing royal duties for several years.

As for tourists, I think you want to be respectiful, but no one is going to expect you to dress in all black or all white. But I think I would pick up one of these black ribbons
https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/st...55008132722688

Last edited by glennaa11; Oct 16, 2016 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
For tourists visiting in a week... is it mandatory to wear black? I obviously won't be wearing any colorful clothing, but will gray and navy do? Also, anything to look out for aside from no obscenely loud talking or laughing in public? Street food vendors still open? Alcohol still served in big hotels?
No, you're a tourist. You won't be expected to dress in black.

If you want to show respect, which the locals would appreciate, then bring a black armband and wear it on top of your regular clothes. For men, it should be on the left arm.

I would expect the chain hotels to serve alcohol as usual, and the street food stalls should be back on the streets. The late-night sidewalk "bars" that line Sukhumvit could be prevented from operating over the next 28 days.

I'd recommend treating this as if you were at the wake/funeral of someone you didn't know well. You aren't expected to show overt grief, but be respectful of the feelings of others.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think bulletproof vests are banned in Thailand unless you're a member of their military or police forces. IIRC a foreign journalist got in trouble for having one.
Exactly correct.

Originally Posted by Plato90s
It probably is a good idea for Vajiralongkorn to show respect for tradition in terms of the mourning for his father. It would help to show the Thai people that he intends to treat the throne with respect and has left his prior indiscretions behind.
Remember that the news is managed very carefully in Thailand, particularly news about the royal family. Another possible explanation is that it was "suggested" to the Crown Prince that he wait a year so that he can think about whether he really wants to give up the life he has created for himself in western Europe. There is little doubt that he will have the support of the Thai people. He was chosen by H.M. The King as successor; and the people here have unlimited respect for the late King, including his judgment.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Under Thailand’s Extradition Act 2251 (2008), a Lese-Majeste offence could potentially be extraditable. It qualifies in so far that it’s considered by the Thai Authorities to be a serious criminal act and the penalty is greater than one year (potentially up to 15 years).

Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries including the USA, UK and a number of EU countries but this doesn't stop them from applying for the extradition of someone in a country with whom they don't have a treaty.

Although Thailand might apply for the extradition of an individual from an overseas country, it would be up to the Court within that country to decide if that extradition warrant should be exercised based upon the information that has been provided with the warrant.

Even if they were able to identify the person, I personally think that it’s unlikely that the Thai Authorities would go down the extradition route for a Lese-Majeste offence committed by someone outside of Thailand.

Most likely the individual’s ‘tag’ would be placed on a database which is used to monitor internet traffic. Should that individual come to Thailand and use that ‘tag’ whilst they are in Thailand it would be flagged up together with the IP address that they used. It would then be a simple matter of a 5am knock on the door.

You missed the use of long-range drones to take out offenders

Extradition is not a tool of even the remotest credibility.

Although a surprising number of western nations still have variants of l-m offences on their books (Germany recently employed one of these), the idea they would respond to a request for extradition for such an offence is preposterous.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 16, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Looks like the mourning period may be taken further with a review of NYE festivities

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/e...e-party-plans/
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Looks like the mourning period may be taken further with a review of NYE festivities

Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I do not believe tourists are expected to wear black for a month, or a year. But I wouldn't complain about this in public either. The "authorities" recommend "muted" colors. I wouldn't wear a Tony Romo jersey, or any sports jersey with the number "9" on it. Outside of Bangkok the wearing of black is probably not as universal, not out of a lack of respect but purely due to availability and economic reasons.

As this is uncharted territory it is challenging to make specific recommendations re: loud talking or laughing, or behavior in general, but again, most "authorities" recommend remaining somber.

People still have to eat so street food is available as before. I would think that most major hotels would be serving alcohol, maybe as of today or tomorrow. There is still the 'normal' day-time retail store sales hours, which obviously remain in effect. Even though the King was a music lover, composer and American Jazz aficionado, there have been many calls by the "authorities" to refrain from playing music, dancing, having fun, etc.

There is no King, the Regent is 96 years old; there is no Grand Patriarch, and the 'government' remains a military dictatorship for the foreseeable future. Certainly dark times for the Thai people with little to guide them but their grief.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai

Yes, I'd imagine that there would be NO fireworks.

I think the hotels might be on solid ground to arrange special dinner, indoor/rooftop events, etc... but I think it's extremely unlikely that fireworks would be permitted during the official year-of-mourning.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
After reading all above my suggestion for first-time visitors of Thailand is to postpone their visit until mourning is over and now King/Queen/whoever is crowned and life is officially back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.