Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

This may, or may not, need to go onto the OMNI, but the King has sadly died.

It will be interesting to see how Bangkok looks next week, in terms of movement of people and road closures etc.

M
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/thail...s-aged-88.html

Sad news for the people of Thailand. They loved him dearly.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:07 am

Mrs. got word of this yesterday from local friends, 'off-the-record', even though officially he was still on life support at that time. Curious when he actually passed?

More important, heart and prayers for the people of Thailand....hopefully peace continues during this coming period of history for them.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I got a message from my BIL who said that the King was in the hospital but there would be "an official announcement" at 7:00 PM Thai time. I think that sent the message that he was gone.

The succession plus the military government plus the new charter may be creating a perfect storm for Thailand. I'll be there in a couple of weeks. Hoping it stays calm.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Thank you for posting this news, which will deeply affect the citizens of Thailand. He was a pillar of stability for the country for decades.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:21 am

I hate to be insensitive and R.I.P to the king.

I have never been to Thailand before and will be traveling there with my wife next Monday. Should we expect any unrest in BK?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Darryl Grant
I hate to be insensitive and R.I.P to the king.

I have never been to Thailand before and will be traveling there with my wife next Monday. Should we expect any unrest in BK?
I dunno about unrest or when all the political stuff starts, but I think you'll get some really deep mourning all over the country and that could be a bummer and really interfere with plans. I'm usually not a nervous Nellie and have been there when there were roadblocks and widespread demonstrations and the threat of floods, etc., but this is the big one, news-wise, even though everyone knew this day would come. It's hard to overstate the impact it's likely to have in the short-term there, as he was beloved by everyone, the only king most Thais have ever known, and the rock of stability that outlasted some 40+ governments. You also have a military government that'll likely take it upon itself to preserve order at all costs.

But the most likely problem is people feeling mournful and maybe stuff being closed. If it were me and it were this close I'd head down to Malaysia or something like that
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
NBCNews.com is now up with a story
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
RIP.

Alas I've plans to be there the weekend of Oct 21.

Just saw a tweet that alcohol banned for a month during mourning.

Cannot alter my plans and will make the best of them unless there is major unrest.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:33 am

Indeed, I am curious what happens when his son succeeds.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: most of them
I wouldn't expect any "unrest" in the near term. For the month of mourning certainly everything will be very subdued.

I am seeing reports that say no "festivities" for a month. Not sure what that extends to exactly, but lots of music festivals, concerts and so forth have been postponed or canceled.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RustyC
But the most likely problem is people feeling mournful and maybe stuff being closed. If it were me and it were this close I'd head down to Malaysia or something like that
Agree 100%. Vietnam or Cambodia (Hanoi and Hoi An/Ankor Wat and PP or a beach area) might be good alternatives, too. You can keep your flights into BKK and get very inexpensive flights to these countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, etc) on discounters like Air Asia, Lion Air, Jet Airways, or Scoot.

I was in Bangkok for the King's 80th birthday. It was quite a celebration. Based on that, and the Bike for Dad celebration last year, I'd imagine there will be grieving everywhere for the next month.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:01 pm

Thank you all for your insights in to the situation. What a sad day for the Thai people.

Unfortunately we have the trip (flights + Hotel) booked as a delta Vacation and they have made it clear that they will not refund or change the flights or hotel.

Im reading that there will be a ban on alcohol + we might not be able to do much in the way of entertainment
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Darryl Grant
Thank you all for your insights in to the situation. What a sad day for the Thai people.

Unfortunately we have the trip (flights + Hotel) booked as a delta Vacation and they have made it clear that they will not refund or change the flights or hotel.

Im reading that there will be a ban on alcohol + we might not be able to do much in the way of entertainment
It really is an unprecedented situation, so difficult to predict how things will actually shake out after the initial shock and grief. Festivals and the like will certainly be affected.

In the past, when there have been moratoriums on alcohol and entertainment, some tourist zones were allowed some slack. Bars at hotels, etc. No idea if that will happen in this instance.

For sure, it will be a much more subdued environment across the Kingdom. On the plus side, you will be witness to a rather pivotal event for Thailand. If cultural / historical events are of interest to you, it should be rather remarkable.

My condolences to all Thai subjects on the passing of His Majesty The King.

Added: I recalled the last Royal funeral was back in 2012 and there was a thread about it. Might be of interest. Of course, the passing of HM The King will be multitudes larger in scale and impact.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...il-8-10-a.html
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: most of them
This is kind of fascinating. All TV channels will broadcast the same palace-produced programming in black and white for a month. Including international satellite channels.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ome-broadcasts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.