RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Darryl Grant
I hate to be insensitive and R.I.P to the king.

I have never been to Thailand before and will be traveling there with my wife next Monday. Should we expect any unrest in BK?
No reason to expect any unrest.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It's an odd comparison, but I'd guess going there would be a bit like going to an Islamic country like the UAE during Ramadan. Maybe they cut tourists some slack, but being visibly celebratory and vacation-like would be discouraged and seem awkward with everyone so bummed out (and it's definitely the whole country we're talking here this time, not just Bangkok). The coccooning crowd that books hotels with lots of amenities may not notice much, but the public scenes like Pattaya or Phuket could look nothing like they usually do. If they extend it for a month and enforce it, it could be very tough business-wise for a lot of people, but at least most of it is in a very low season.

For the people there it'd be like if in a European country where the long-reigning monarch dies, except times three or four. Unlike in a lot of old, stable monarchies, the king had to be a force for unity rather than just a symbol of it.

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is up with a message for Americans, basically saying to be respectful

Last edited by RustyC; Oct 13, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Sad news for the people of Thailand. They loved him dearly.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
No reason to expect any unrest.
I don't expect any problems. Both sides of the divide politically loved their king. It will be a period of peace.

And the military junta will make sure of that.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:13 pm

thank you all for your input

Is there anywhere online where i could review the specific rules and practices for the time of mourning (alcohol rules etc...)

First time in Asia and just want to be prepared
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
You can see the latest update issued today by the UK FCO at www.fco.gov.uk but it is very open.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
R.I.P.
Very sad but he has been on his way out for a while now.
The people will take this very seriously indeed. I hope no drunken idiots do something stupid & disrespectful as they'll receive severe penalties; from authorities & locals.

I hope that the Princess becomes the next monarch. What I hear of the son is not encouraging for the peaceful future of the Kingdom.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:00 pm

Hopefully this does not come across as insensitive. The responses in the TripAdvisor forum made me unsure if it is inappropriate to discuss visiting Thailand at this time.

We are traveling there in late November, just more than a month from now. At this point, it sounds like it should still be fine to stick to our plans. However this statement made me think twice and am on the fence about changing travel plans.

The FCO said access to entertainment, including restaurants, bars, and shopping areas may be restricted and visitors should behave respectfully when in public areas.

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said the country would hold a one-year mourning period and all entertainment functions must be "toned down" for a month.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus

I hope that the Princess becomes the next monarch. What I hear of the son is not encouraging for the peaceful future of the Kingdom.
I think there is pretty much zero hope of that. The Crown Prince was named the successor over 40 years ago. And is in line to take over. They've been trying to prepare him for the role for the last several years while the King's health declined. I don't believe there is any provision in the law for a female monarch. So if the CP abdicated for some reason his son would become king...with a regent (presumably) for several years.

I know I've read that there was some long-ago prophecy that there would only be 9 kings in the line. The CP has apparently asked that he not be named king right away in order to mourn first.

But he will become King in due course.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
From what I have been told by friends in the hospitality industry. Bars and clubs will be closed thru Sunday and no music allowed. Monday they can go back to mostly normal. They have to tone it down a bit for the one month.

I'm in the US now and was headed back next week, but I'm putting it off till the 30 days is up.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Sad to hear the news last night waiting for flight to SIN. The King was much loved and respected like a father by everyone.

Waiting for flight to BKK in a few hours.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Curious when he actually passed?
According to the palace statement: 3:52 PM local time, Thursday.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
This is kind of fascinating. All TV channels will broadcast the same palace-produced programming in black and white for a month. Including international satellite channels.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ome-broadcasts
Yes, all 500+ channels on cable TV have the same black & white commemorative video, this is planned for the next 30 days. So no news, sports, TV, movies.

Update, situation fluid, saw this tweet...

Flash! 10:24 am Gen Prayuth orders govt spokesman to stop common TV pool at midnight. Normal programs afterward with special interruption if necessary

Generally speaking people are recommending wearing black or muted colors, being respectful.

Millions are expected to line the procession route from Siriraj Hospital to the Grand Palace this afternoon, for the Royal Bathing ceremony.

U.S. Warden Message:

Throughout his extraordinary reign, His Majesty the King devoted his life to the health, safety, and prosperity of the Thai people. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the members of the Royal Family and the people of Thailand at this somber time. We urge U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Thailand to join us in showing respect by maintaining decorum during this extended period of profound mourning.

https://th.usembassy.gov/message-u-s...-majesty-king/

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I don't believe there is any provision in the law for a female monarch.
The 2007 Constitution, for which the sections (Chapter II) related to the King remain in force within the current interim charter, was specifically modified to allow for a Princess to assume the throne, under certain circumstances.

Last edited by transpac; Oct 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Princess Sirindhorn (I hope I spelled that right) is the most popular of the princes & princesses, but their system is male-focused and it's hard to imagine the throne going to a female unless they're out of other options.

Whatever you do, if you're going, don't try to discuss any of this. Just express condolences and best wishes for the future and leave it at that. Any talk about the monarchy WILL be misinterpreted even if there's no intention of giving offense, and there are fewer sorer subjects than talk or speculation about the events of 1946. Ixnay on talking about the ingkay.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd suggest that anyone already in Thailand for vacation won't enjoy this upcoming weekend.

But the tourist-business should largely be back to normal by Monday.

Not sure what they're going to do with stuff like the Full Moon Party though....
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plato90s
I'd suggest that anyone already in Thailand for vacation won't enjoy this upcoming weekend.

But the tourist-business should largely be back to normal by Monday.

Not sure what they're going to do with stuff like the Full Moon Party though....
I've seen occasions where bars go into dark mode, i.e. no lights on and all activity kept inside.

This will have a real effect on many of the people, though. Also, am not sure what the'll do for a funeral and formalities there. Would imagine the coronation will also be a big deal a little down the road, though the prince has requested time for mourning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.