Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to decide where to stay in Bangkok in February

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Trying to decide where to stay in Bangkok in February

My wife and I are staying give 5 nights in Bangkok in February, first time for both of us. We won't be heading to Phuket or Chiang Mai or anything else. We are in our 30s and are interested in some of the nightlife stuff but we do enjoy food, including street food. We will mostly just walk around and explore. I might visit a tailor as well.
I thought about staying at the Marriott Sukhimvit near Soi 38, but now that the street food has left, I can scratch that off the list. Right now I'm choosing between Conrad, JW and Radisson Suites. The JW is right across the street from Nana, so I'm wondering if that will be too much stimuli for us. I read the Radisson Suites is a little further from the BTS station, but I don't know if it's far enough to matter. The Conrad is more $$. I also have free night certs for the Intercontinental but that seems too far west. I've actually read that much of the action on Sukhimvit is moving east. The Hilton and Radisson Blu are there. What do you guys think?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Depends exactly what you are looking for. If you want to laze by the pool and get a tan forget the Conrad and is a bit isolated. JW is on Suk Soi 2 and not really walking distance to many things. Thonglor has expanded greatly with pubs, bars and restaurants which makes the Marriott a good choice. You can jump in a cab or on the BTS and get basically anywhere so it is going to be a tough decision IMHO

Last edited by ExpatSomchai; Sep 28, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
The JW has a really nice executive lounge, if you have gold status or above, or want to pay for a lounge access room. The rooms themselves are rather small. I have stayed here twice. It's actually on Sukhumvit at the corner of soi 2. Soi 1 is across the street. Nana (soi 4) is far enough away that you can avoid it, but you should take a stroll down that soi anyway. The Central Embassy mall is not far away, and you can easily walk there from the JW. Sukhumvit Road itself is worth strolling. You will find shops/shopping centers and restaurants and bars, and street vendors (although much of that has been removed, making it MUCH EASIER to walk down this busy street in the evenings).

For me, personally, the Marriott on soi 57 (Thonglor) is too far away from where I want to be. I have stayed at both the apartments and the hotel at this location.

I have never stayed at the Conrad but have friends who like it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Where is the best location to be walking distance from street food?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: TG Gold
Soi 38 still has "street food". Not as much as before,but you'll find some carts inside the old parking area of the first building on the right hand side.
But not sitting on the street anymore.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The Conrad is the much nicer hotel. There is some street food going south on Wireless Road, and about five/ten minutes walk south, close to the US embassy, is a fantastic little restaurant called Baan.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by 1786771
Soi 38 still has "street food". Not as much as before,but you'll find some carts inside the old parking area of the first building on the right hand side.
But not sitting on the street anymore.
The Marriott is at Soi 57. The street food has been long rumored to be moving from Soi 38 to near Soi 57. Between the Marriott and the BTS station there is a strip of street food vendors and small store front restaurants which are awesome. You'll want to go to Soi 38 for the experience, after doing that once, you can get similar food across the street from the Marriott.

Having stayed at the four Marriott family hotels within the past year, three of them within the past two months, I cannot recommend the Soi 57 property more highly. Each of the properties is very good, but the location is a little quieter, because it's a little way off and the rooms are on such high floors, the views are spectacular, it's removed from the Nana area and the rooms and bathrooms are quite nice. The service is great, too.

As long as you are within easy reach of the BTS train, you'll be able to quickly access all tourist and entertainment areas. The JW requires walking either distance or over some rough sidewalk. The Ren has access without really having to go outside more than a few feet. The FS requires you walk an easy block. The CY has a complimentary tuk-tuk to the station.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:55 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
By nightlife, I'm guessing you mean nightclubs and such. If so, lower Sukhumvit may be where you want to be. A lot of the action is up Suk Soi 11 and the surrounding 5 block perimeter... also with plentiful street food options and umpteen restaurants.

Perhaps you don't realize how close things are. But the distance from the Intercon, to the Conrad, to the JW is not that far, a few blocks at the most.

The rooms at the Conrad are nicer. Whereas, the lounge at the JW is the best, by far. It depends if you're planning to spend much time in either.

Evenings, traffic gets nasty up and down Sukhumvit. Cabs reject many but the short trips. Soi 11 becomes a parking lot for hours. On other nights, traffic is not bad.... unpredictable.

Being within walking distance makes a big difference.
I say, JW or Conrad. But there are 100 other hotels in the area that would be just as good.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is street food everywhere. And it's even inside food courts too.

From the JW walk left on Sukhumvit, then along the access road adjacent to the motorway/railroad tracks (Duang Pitak) are many stalls, as there are under the motorway. There is a great food court in the JW's Twin, across Soi 2, maybe on floor 6-ish? Up Soi 1 there is a lunchtime food court, open-airish. Opposite the JW across Sukhumvit (there is an overhead walkway) is a typical Thai restaurant, open front, two cooking areas which share the large covered seating space.

But there are millions of places, some close to the BTS and MRT. It all depends on the time of day, and what types of food you want.

Every mall has a food court which has "street food" albeit in a clean, air-con space. But not the thrill of idling car exhaust fumes, large rodents and backed-up sewers flooding the street. Food Republic at Siam Center is nice, IMO.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The Conrad is the much nicer hotel. There is some street food going south on Wireless Road, and about five/ten minutes walk south, close to the US embassy, is a fantastic little restaurant called Baan.
Mrs. and I have stayed at Conrad. But right across the street from Conrad is my wife's favorite long term stay hotel, The Oriental Residence. It's both a 5-star hotel and long term stay facility, see reviews in tripadvisor. Much smaller boutique facility but has small gym, pool large enough for laps, one restaurant with excellent buffet breakfast, excellent service and 5 minutes away from BTS. Also complimentary shuttle bus to BTS/shopping areas. There's street food nearby and front desk can direct you.

And of course as others have already mentioned, food stalls in basement of all malls (including two large complexes down the street from Conrad/Oriental Residence)

JW is right in the heart of Nana, the pink zone. It's very touristy, centrally located for walking Sukhumvit and lots of 'sights'. Might or might not be your cup of tea,

PM for other suggestions.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dtsm
But right across the street from Conrad is my wife's favorite long term stay hotel, The Oriental Residence.
FYI, this has nothing to do with the famed Mandarin Oriental.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife and I are staying give 5 nights in Bangkok in February, first time for both of us. We won't be heading to Phuket or Chiang Mai or anything else. We are in our 30s and are interested in some of the nightlife stuff but we do enjoy food, including street food. We will mostly just walk around and explore. I might visit a tailor as well.
I thought about staying at the Marriott Sukhimvit near Soi 38, but now that the street food has left, I can scratch that off the list. Right now I'm choosing between Conrad, JW and Radisson Suites. The JW is right across the street from Nana, so I'm wondering if that will be too much stimuli for us. I read the Radisson Suites is a little further from the BTS station, but I don't know if it's far enough to matter. The Conrad is more $$. I also have free night certs for the Intercontinental but that seems too far west. I've actually read that much of the action on Sukhimvit is moving east. The Hilton and Radisson Blu are there. What do you guys think?
Status with hotel chains? Are these the only Bangkok hotels you're considering?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Status with hotel chains? Are these the only Bangkok hotels you're considering?
Hilton Diamond
Hyatt Diamond
IHG Plat AMB
Club Carlson Gold
Marriott Gold

I ended up booking at the Intercontinental, not because it is my first choice, but because I have to use up my free Chase night certs. I was originally going to use the certs for another stay, but that fell through. I guess what's good about the IC is that it's really close to a BTS station, though I will say the property itself is maybe a little further west than I would like.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Hilton Diamond
Hyatt Diamond
IHG Plat AMB
Club Carlson Gold
Marriott Gold

I ended up booking at the Intercontinental, not because it is my first choice, but because I have to use up my free Chase night certs. I was originally going to use the certs for another stay, but that fell through. I guess what's good about the IC is that it's really close to a BTS station, though I will say the property itself is maybe a little further west than I would like.
Opposite the IC is Amarin Plaza.

Go to the top-floor at lunchtime, and the food there is excellent. The place will be busy between 1230-1400, but it's worth it. The food is inexpensive, and you'll be the only Westerners there. I love it.

M
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
FYI, this has nothing to do with the famed Mandarin Oriental.
Did I imply any relationship? Of course, the Mandarin Oriental is the old original Oriental on the river, the Oriental Residence is a smaller boutique facility located in town.

The original Oriental was rated the #1 hotel in the world back in the late '70's to 80's, way before BTS constructed. Great place to stay, but traffic jams getting to/out....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.