Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Reports of increased stops of Westerners in certain Bangkok police jurisdictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reports of increased stops of Westerners in certain Bangkok police jurisdictions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by justforfun
This is quite worrisome....
An economist would tell us that corruption in the form of regular bribes to "officials" that have no other means of adequate income, is called taxation in other countries.

I would hate for you not to come to the land of smiles simply because of someone else's fear-mongering.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
.... would run screaming to their embassy...and I'd think once those folks got wind of it, there would be travel advisories and all sorts of things put out.

I never thought of going to the embassy when I was hustled out of a $100 the last time I drove into Baja, Mexico. The only person I talked with about it was an attorney friend in San Diego (informally, over beers at a BBQ) and she laughed because the going rate for a traffic cop should have $40....

I doubt travel advisories are issued for police bribes, unfortunately.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Dec 3, 2014 at 11:06 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
This is quite worrisome. I'm a huge fan of Bangkok and travel there often. I'm an avid traveller and don't succumb to hearsay, but at the same time have no desire to place myself in potentially uncomfortable situations. I'll be on vacation. No need to be on high alert. I think my week in Thailand over New Year's is about to be cancelled. Sad, as I do adore it, but also am not a fool.
I don't think it's foolish at all to vacation in Bangkok. The slight chance that you encounter the stop and frisk would (to me) be a minor temporary irritating few minutes. I'm heading there Saturday with my wife for 6 weeks vacation. The possible eradication of the all night VW street bars is of much greater concern than the chance of a stop and frisk.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:29 am

This has been going on for years. They used to search a lot of farang around the Ekkamai Bus Station too. They go through your bag & wallet. In my case it was between 22 and Benjasiri Park early afternoon, 4 or 5 years ago. They were polite & accepted my pp photocopy. The new part is the urine test & needing your real pp. I've had the cab pulled over a couple X between Nana & Emporium too. Twice he just jacked up the cab driver and the other X he looked at our photocopies, not the wallets. Most of their victims are middle class Thais. They've been pee testing the clubs for years. IMO, it's the Army's fault. They've been cutting off the Police's other revenue streams.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Dec 2, 2014 at 1:39 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd peg the odds of an overly negative experience with the police to be one in five million. The odds of getting stitched-up on a planted drugs shakedown might be one in twenty-five million.

That's not the reason I would discourage travel to Thailand at the present time. My reasons stem more from a concern about the potentially volatile social/political situation.

There are at least three military factions, one is currently ruling, another has been significantly marginalized, and all three have different loyalties. Given a significant occurrence, or three, there could easily be a counter-coup, which would result in restricted movements within the country.

There are other societal factions, even splits within the upper reaches of the feudal system, which have been tamped down and suppressed. Very generally speaking, Thais have a relaxed manner about life, even though they may be unhappy. Suppressing this unhappiness works for a while, but like any build-up, it needs a release. It may not take much to ignite a response.

Martial Law remains in force throughout the country. Martial Law might negate any travel insurance. Martial Law gives the authorities tremendous power over citizens and visitors.

Lese majeste law (Article 112) is being extended to cover pretty much any negative comment about the country. You might spend more time in jail for lese majeste than for pre-mediated murder.

There is a Military Dictatorship which illegally assumed control of the country. Supporting the dictatorship by pumping money into the economy will only extend their grip on the nation. The bulk of your tourist spending flows directly to the privileged few who sponsored the coup, and control the country. The 4 - 8 million immigrants who work in the hospitality industries will obviously suffer, but they are already pretty much indentured slaves anyway.

The long-running southern insurgency is expanding greatly, both in the number of deaths/injuries and number of incidents. While still limited to the restive southern provinces, it might not take much to expand to the north and impact tourists.

The Military dictatorship is clearly concerned about many of these, and perhaps many more, issues, and this is why they are maintaining an iron grip on the country. In fact, Field Marshall Prayut warns the country of the continuing volatile situation with daily/weekly diatribes, and the need for "returning Happiness" to the kingdom.

As long as you are comfortable supporting a military dictatorship, and are flexible re: potentially getting stranded during a counter-coup or other significant occurrence, then by all means book a trip. Just don't do any of those things "James" does in the Tourism Authority of Thailand video, "I Hate Thailand". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uzEouACYs
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
I never thought of going to the embassy when I was hustled out of a $100 the last time I drove into Baja, Mexico. The only person I talked with about it was an attorney friend in San Diego (informally, over beers at a BBQ) and she laughed because the going rate for a traffic cop should have $40....

I doubt travel advisories are issued for police bribes, unfortunately.
Then we are reading different accounts. The ones I have read include cases of foreigners being held in jail absent charges. Yes, I would bring that to the attention of an embassy.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I would bring that to the attention of an embassy."

Again, the/any embassy doesn't give a rat's a$$ about their citizens interactions with the Thai "judicial" system.

And if you think the RTP are bad, I did see this article in today's paper re: the RTA's fine draftees...

Many conscripts illiterate drug users

Published: 2 Dec

More than half of the latest batch of military conscripts were found to be drug users or small-time dealers, along with a high level of illiteracy, to the dismay of the 2nd Army Region commander.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...lso-illiterate
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
Walking or on mototaxi on Sukhumvit between Soi 13 and Asoke especially at night, it does happen. There are hundreds of testimonials online. It's been happening for at least a couple years, and by all accounts is getting worse lately. The urine tests are relatively new. I'm sorry you've never heard of it, but it is most certainly a fact.
A couple of us have pointed out that there are stories of foreigners being stopped in the Soi Cowboy area, which you just mentioned. Drunks staggering down the street will get stopped in most any city. Curious as to where all these "hundreds" of testimonials are. Link?

This is quite worrisome. I'm a huge fan of Bangkok and travel there often. I'm an avid traveller and don't succumb to hearsay, but at the same time have no desire to place myself in potentially uncomfortable situations. I'll be on vacation. No need to be on high alert. I think my week in Thailand over New Year's is about to be cancelled. Sad, as I do adore it, but also am not a fool.
No need to cancel. IMO you'd be a fool to fall for the scare mongering.

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
An economist would tell us that corruption in the form of regular bribes to "officials" that have no other means of adequate income, is called taxation in other countries.

I would hate for you not to come to the land of smiles simply because of someone else's fear-mongering.
^^ Agree on both counts.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Then we are reading different accounts. The ones I have read include cases of foreigners being held in jail absent charges. Yes, I would bring that to the attention of an embassy.
Foreigners held in jail without charge? You read this? Where? I'd like to read them myself.

And you're completely right. Bring this to the attention of the embassy. If you are arrested the police are obligated to inform the embassy.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:04 am

OP's link refers to foreigners being detained and pressured to sign waivers of admission, and or held in jail. Anecdotal, yes, but no more or less so than anything else in this thread. You must understand, for a first time visitor like myself just trying to do my research, it is a bit tough to sort out the chaff.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
REMINDERS from the FlyerTalk Rules

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.
…and…
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Some posts in this thread are not in keeping with the above expectations. Please phrase your thoughts to convey a friendlier tone, or simply refrain from replying at all.

Thanks.

~Moderator
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
I know one thing... I carry my passport on me now.

I knew you had to have your permit and passport on yourself when working (I fly domestically a lot and carry it anyways at work) but had gotten lax about carrying it in person during the evening - let's be honest, Ol' DirtyDan here will never acclimatise to this heat and I don't want to damage my passport further with sweat stains from my pocket...

I'd say the one good thing to come out of this thread is that I now will carry a photocopy of my passport all the time - shrunk down the face page and the visa so it folds nicely into my wallet. I reckon that and my business card should get me out of any bribe too large to shake off.

And in all honesty, I'm not too worried as I tend to avoid the late night red-light areas and seldom have drugs in my pockets or urine.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Last warning, folks.

Non-contributive posts (bickering, overly personalized) have been removed. Please keep it friendly, or at least civil, and limit your comments to the thread topic, i.e., whether random police searches of western tourists have increased in Bangkok.

Thanks.

~Moderator
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Again, the/any embassy doesn't give a rat's a$$ about their citizens interactions with the Thai "judicial" system.
Somewhat more constructively, the opinion of the embassy is largely irrelevant, since what they can actually do is extremely limited: notify your relatives, suggest a lawyer and/or translator, and that's about it. They do not have and do not hand out magical "Get Out of Thai Jail Free" cards.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"They do not have and do not hand out magical "Get Out of Thai Jail Free" cards."

You are correct, and you make an excellent point.

[redacted]

I was referring more to informing your local embassy of police harassment, and/or a shakedown as is more or less the topic of this thread. Any embassy will not care about this sort of activity.

The primary targets are not limited to staggering drunks, or potential drug users.

Drug dealers in tourist areas have already paid protection money, so they are immune.

I believe that the current Martial Law, in effect throughout the country, does give the authorities, including the Police, the legal right to stop, search (without cause), detain, remand, charge, try in a military court any individual, including foreigners. So avoid reading controversial paperbacks, and if you order three of something remember to use your thumb, forefinger and middle-finger.

edited to add: Thai Martial Law does also allow the authorities to hold you without charge for an unlimited period of time.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Dec 9, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reason: Removed overly OMNI-esque comments
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
And still more:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/...ourists-expats

Becoming pretty obvious this is indeed happening.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
And still more:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/...ourists-expats

Becoming pretty obvious this is indeed happening.
While I appreciate the chutzpah of the chap who took that video, you can see one of these two Royal Thai Policeman staring down the photographer, I would strongly discourage filming Thai police as you may suffer potentially extreme consequences. It could be interpreted as causing unhappiness.

I assume they may have backed off harassing this tourist as they knew they were being photographed?

Another good piece of advice in this article: never, ever sign any documents which the Police are encouraging you to sign. It doesn't matter if you subsequently claim you didn't understand them, they will be used against you, and you can't do a thing about it.

I would also take exception to this statement in that article:

Although Thailand is operating under the emergency provisions of Martial Law, that only applies to the Army and its soldiers – not the police force.

as I am certain this is incorrect. All powers extend to civilians under the behest of the Military, section 6.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 4, 2014 at 3:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.