Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yeah. Thailand is probably the only place in the world where protest leaders make a point of stating to anyone who will listen that their efforts should have no effect on tourism.

I arrive this week and will not be altering my travel plans at all.

In fact, rather pleased about the recent uptick in currency rates. Looks like it just bumped above 32 Baht to the US dollar today.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:31 pm
arj

Sounds good. Googling the 2008 situation was not particularly reassuring...
Kind of put a damper on things for a day but so far so good.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Anti-Thaksin regime groups to stage mass rallies nationwide on 27 Nov

BANGKOK, 26 November 2013 (NNT) - The anti-Thaksin regime protesters at the Ministry of Finance are set to organize mass rallies nationwide on Wednesday and express confidence that they will topple the “Thaksin regime” in three days.

Mr Ekkanat Phromphan, one of the core leaders of the anti-Thaksin regime network, said the protesters rejected the government’s expansion of areas under the Internal Security Act and confirmed they would not leave their current base at the Ministry of Finance. He explained that protest activities had to be suspended for today, ahead of nationwide mass rallies tomorrow.

Mr Ekkanat added that the protesters would submit a letter to the United Nations to call for its observance of the rallies.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...4#entry7081621
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok issued a Security Message, looks like it was copied/pasted from previous alerts over the years.

Security Message to American Citizens: Demonstrations in Bangkok

November 25, 2013

Domestic political activists in Thailand are holding large demonstrations at several sites throughout Bangkok, including at several government complexes. These demonstrations may continue throughout the week.

In consideration of these activities, the Thai government has increased the police presence around government buildings and in other locations. Demonstrators moving around the city may cause significant traffic delays;. please plan travel accordingly.

Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/112513securitymessage.html
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today, Wednesday, looks to be another challenging day. Getting any sort of Government-related business done might be best put off.

Internal Security Act blankets Bangkok

The government has invoked the Internal Security Act (ISA) across the whole of Bangkok and Nonthaburi after anti-government protesters occupied two state ministries.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...and-nonthaburi
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:07 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Looks like Yingluck's days are numbered indeed.

Good Bye! Good Luck! Good Riddance!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:15 am

Hmm... have a honeymoon planned to Thailand from mid-Dec to the end of Dec; only spending two nights in Bangkok. If it were just me I don't think it would be much of an issue, but should I rethink my plans with the new wife? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Looks like Yingluck's days are numbered indeed.
What makes you state that? Everything I've been able to read on-line seems to indicate that the censure vote will fail along party lines.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by seanthepilot

Good Bye! Good Luck! Good Riddance!
Yeah, lets get rid of yet another democratically elected Government and lets get the other side in who never get democratically elected by the people, after all Thaksins side are corrupt and they are not.......

It's just going to keep going around in circles like this every few years...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Yeah, lets get rid of yet another democratically elected Government and lets get the other side in who never get democratically elected by the people,
That seems to be a central point of the few commentaries I've found on this current crisis; that the opposition is attempting to go around the democratic system.

I don't know enough about Thai politics to comment intelligently on whether that's accurate or not....on the surface, and to the uninformed (and by that I mean me), that's the appearance.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chachang25
Hmm... have a honeymoon planned to Thailand from mid-Dec to the end of Dec; only spending two nights in Bangkok. If it were just me I don't think it would be much of an issue, but should I rethink my plans with the new wife? Thanks in advance for any input.
At this point I can think of no reasons why you should cancel your trip.

As long as the airport remains open/unoccupied, and based on past protests - save 2010, with two days in Bangkok you might not even be aware there are problems. Maybe just remain flexible re: your plans for when you are in Bangkok specifically.

None of us know your new wife so it is challenging to determine how she might feel about making the trip given current situation.

Some pressure should be relieved owing to the King's birthday ( 5 Dec.); perhaps everyone will take a rest until after the first of the year?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
At this point I can think of no reasons why you should cancel your trip.

As long as the airport remains open/unoccupied, and based on past protests - save 2010, with two days in Bangkok you might not even be aware there are problems. Maybe just remain flexible re: your plans for when you are in Bangkok specifically.

None of us know your new wife so it is challenging to determine how she might feel about making the trip given current situation.

Some pressure should be relieved owing to the King's birthday ( 5 Dec.); perhaps everyone will take a rest until after the first of the year?
Thanks for your input, very appreciated!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Yeah, lets get rid of yet another democratically elected Government and lets get the other side in who never get democratically elected by the people, after all Thaksins side are corrupt and they are not.......

It's just going to keep going around in circles like this every few years...
Wait, Thaksin wasn't elected and yet he's running the government after fleeing a guilty verdict.

Also, please remind me how paying for votes is democratic. I must have missed that lesson in my years of schooling.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Wait, Thaksin wasn't elected and yet he's running the government after fleeing a guilty verdict.

Also, please remind me how paying for votes is democratic. I must have missed that lesson in my years of schooling.
I wonder if we should open a separate thread on the forum to discuss the travel safety and other related issues. Then maybe we can leave the political issues for this thread. I just don't want a political debate to swamp the travel-related part.

I'm getting a bit nervous for my trip end of December, but like someone else said, I'm hoping that by then the situation will have calmed or resolved one way or the other.

For humor though, I remember the campus humor magazine in grad school published a "Thai Coup Haiku" article. It was pretty funny, but alas it's not digital to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.