Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Booked Biz Class Aeroplan Reward - Got Switched to Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked Biz Class Aeroplan Reward - Got Switched to Economy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Booked Biz Class Aeroplan Reward - Got Switched to Economy

I booked a business class flight from PVG to KBV, connecting through BKK. Both segments were booked through an Aeroplan reward and both indicated that it was Business class. I got the confirmation immediately and it said "Executive" class.

However, I recently got the confirmation code so I could login to the Thai Airways website to manage my booking. The BKK to KBV flight is now in "Economy Restricted". It's also operated by "Thai Smile Airways".

Has this happened to anybody else? Feeling a bit slighted that I paid for a business class flight but now am flying economy.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JetLife
I booked a business class flight from PVG to KBV, connecting through BKK. Both segments were booked through an Aeroplan reward and both indicated that it was Business class. I got the confirmation immediately and it said "Executive" class.

However, I recently got the confirmation code so I could login to the Thai Airways website to manage my booking. The BKK to KBV flight is now in "Economy Restricted". It's also operated by "Thai Smile Airways".

Has this happened to anybody else? Feeling a bit slighted that I paid for a business class flight but now am flying economy.
TG has apparently done away with their (less than) business class.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You realize that this is a one hour flight, right?

And per dsquared37, Thai Smile's "business class" was nothing special to begin with. Basically economy seats with the middle seat blocked.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Your original booking was in economy class seats just with the middle seat blocked so it isn't much difference anyway in the scheme of things, just try and get a refund of some miles.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You realize that this is a one hour flight, right?

And per dsquared37, Thai Smile's "business class" was nothing special to begin with. Basically economy seats with the middle seat blocked.
I do. I've just never flown biz class before so I wanted to maximize the experience.

I didn't realize that I had booked with Thai Smile. I have to check the original confirmation again, but I think the original flight was with Thai Airways (who have a real business class as I understand it).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I do. I've just never flown biz class before so I wanted to maximize the experience.

I didn't realize that I had booked with Thai Smile. I have to check the original confirmation again, but I think the original flight was with Thai Airways (who have a real business class as I understand it).
If it was TG xxxx then it was TG. If TG xxx then TG mainline.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're going to have a great time in Thailand, it would be a shame to let a downgrade on a 1 hour flight interfere with that.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If it was TG xxxx then it was TG. If TG xxx then TG mainline.
Thanks for the info, that clarifies things.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:49 am
Original Poster

You're going to have a great time in Thailand, it would be a shame to let a downgrade on a 1 hour flight interfere with that.
Thanks for the advice?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Thanks for the advice?
Yes it seemed appropriate given the level of drama over a rather insignificant itinerary change
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Totally Agree

Yes it seemed appropriate given the level of drama over a rather insignificant itinerary change
I always count my blessings for what I have, no matter how "insignificant", and not let the things out of my control get to me.

Things can always be "worse". Take my sis-in-law 4 years ago on an aeroplan rewards ticket via LH-F class flight from YYZ-IAD-FRA. Her YYZ flight on UA went IRROPS before departure while on the runway taxiing, and they put her in "economy" AC-Y from YYZ-FRA. I was in meetings all day, and was unable to assist/ advise her with aeroplan call centre at all. Since the flights after were continuing to ICN-TPE from FRA. This was the "only" way to get to FRA on time catch the FRA-ICN flight according to UA CS Desk in YYZ ( it was not as I was on the YUL-MUC-FRA LH-F flight that same evening ). Her problem was she accepted it at face value, not knowing her rights, and UA obligations. But she would not stop complaining about it to me, UA, AE etc...... after the fact days later.

End result, I had to write the letter of complaints to AE/UA, she got 25k AE points from UA, 10k from AE as a "goodwill gesture" as it was not their issue with the IIROPS, and a $400 UA E-voucher credit to use in any future flights. Does not make up for F>>Y downgrade, but at least it was something.

Bottom line for me, if you have not taken the flights yet, contact AE and ask them to change your flights to something more acceptable if your tavel schedules permit it. But it is only an hour flight though.

My missus will be in BKK next week via TPE, and I see many flights in C via HKG and reverse on AE bookings online. Pre-departure, it is 100% AE's responsibility to give you what you paid (points) for. Unless it is TG's infamous IRROPS or EQ change at last minute.

Good luck! The FT crowd here on TG thread is fairly passive/supportive, good thing you did not post your concerns on the LH or UA threads. LOL.....

LFC
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: BRK-B
I have to say that ThaiSmile is an example of unsuccessful regional airline business, the main reason is extremely poor management system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.