Wiki Posts
Search

DXB-BKK-CNX

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
DXB-BKK-CNX

am flying from Dubai to Chiang Mai with Thai in business class, they are showing the connecting in Bangkok as 1 Hour and 5 mins, is this sufficient? and what would the scenario be if i missed the connection?
Old May 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
It is less time than I like to have, but assuming you land on schedule you will have plenty of time. Customs and immigration take place in Chiang Mai (CNX), so all you will have to do in BKK is go through security and make it over to Terminal B. If you miss your flight, they will put you on the next available one. Which to CNX is no problem as there are many flights.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the reply, if the flight is late will they send someone to the gate to expedite me through?
Old May 25, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cmhua777
It is less time than I like to have, but assuming you land on schedule you will have plenty of time. Customs and immigration take place in Chiang Mai (CNX), so all you will have to do in BKK is go through security and make it over to Terminal B. If you miss your flight, they will put you on the next available one. Which to CNX is no problem as there are many flights.
No, immigration takes place in BKK at the immigration booths positioned at the junctions of A,B,C concourses. Customs takes place in Chiang Mai.

According to this MCT is 75 min, so your connection isn't legal.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.5/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: BKK/TG-TG]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         BKK                          075 075 075 075  
TG-TG ONLINE      BKK                          055 075 075 055
Old May 25, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: TG ROP Silver, UA M+ Prmier
Yep that's why Chaingmai airport's full name is "Chaingmai International Airport"
1 hour and 5 minutes would be more than sufficient for you if you flight arrived at BKK and non-peak time. Advise is to cross your fingers that your flight from Dubai arrived at the D1-D4 gates and the other flight from Chaingmai leaves from the cloest A or B gates so that you won't have to run much if your layover is in the peak hour and the security lines is long (I never tried transiting in BKK since I always saty with my relatives for a few days in BKK before going back home in CNX). From my observations of having to take international flights at peak times, those transit security lines are super long (I mostly got to observe the D to B concourse transit security point) Hopes that Thai will give you a buggy ride.

Rabbz
Old May 25, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rabbitongrass
Yep that's why Chaingmai airport's full name is "Chaingmai International Airport"
1 hour and 5 minutes would be more than sufficient for you if you flight arrived at BKK and non-peak time. Advise is to cross your fingers that your flight from Dubai arrived at the D1-D4 gates and the other flight from Chaingmai leaves from the cloest A or B gates so that you won't have to run much if your layover is in the peak hour and the security lines is long (I never tried transiting in BKK since I always saty with my relatives for a few days in BKK before going back home in CNX). From my observations of having to take international flights at peak times, those transit security lines are super long (I mostly got to observe the D to B concourse transit security point) Hopes that Thai will give you a buggy ride.

Rabbz
Huh? What does the name have to do with anything? That's a rather bizarre response.

Secondly, since when does TG issue a buggy for use for a business class pax. And, it appears this ticket is not a legal connection.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And, it appears this ticket is not a legal connection.
But sold by the TG website. It also sells 55 min connections e.g. DXB-BKK-HKT.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
But sold by the TG website. It also sells 55 min connections e.g. DXB-BKK-HKT.
The MCT for dom-dom and int-int connections are 55min. And i'm sure 55 min for this itin is doable (as well to CEI, USM, HKT, KBV, HDY). The remainder of Thailand's domestic airports should be more than 75 minutes, but I'm not seeing any breakdown for those airports.

Not much surprises me anymore.
Old May 26, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
The MCT for dom-dom and int-int connections are 55min. And i'm sure 55 min for this itin is doable (as well to CEI, USM, HKT, KBV, HDY). The remainder of Thailand's domestic airports should be more than 75 minutes, but I'm not seeing any breakdown for those airports.

Not much surprises me anymore.
Don't see any issue at all. I normally arrive (land side) at most 1 hours before a domestic flight. Last time it was 45min!

I was just on a BKK - HKT flight and it was a codeshare meaning connections with other flights - we ended up pushing back 10-15mins late due to late arriving passengers from other flight - most distinctly two pax in C.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Don't see any issue at all. I normally arrive (land side) at most 1 hours before a domestic flight. Last time it was 45min!

I was just on a BKK - HKT flight and it was a codeshare meaning connections with other flights - we ended up pushing back 10-15mins late due to late arriving passengers from other flight - most distinctly two pax in C.
I'm at a loss to understand what that has to do with an Int-Dom connection at BKK.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Flight arrives from Dubai at 06:40
Flight Departs to Chiang Mai at 07:45

am travelling TG-TG in business class and i will have checked baggage, the ticket is a redemption ticket with BMI
Old May 27, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
I'm at a loss to understand what that has to do with an Int-Dom connection at BKK.
My point being that TG is normally ok when it comes to any type of domestic departure arriving quite late for check-in or, I would presume, from another flight.

If you note my comment about my HKT flight being delayed due to late arrival of an INT-Dom connection as well.
Old May 27, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You shouldn't have any trouble unless the DXB-BKK plane itself is late. Were you outbound and on a tight connection you might get someone with a sign, not a buggy, to accompany you long enough to make sure you don't get lost. I wouldn't expect that inbound as there are ample flights to CNX. If you do miss your connection the transit desk will readily rebook you.

I do it regularly and unless I'm having a memory lapse you clear immigration in BKK and then Customs at CNX. You don't have to go landside and re-enter. The transit clearance signage is clearly marked and it's not much of a headache (knock on wood) due to the lower volume of passengers. CNX in both directions is a breeze.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
ok.. this thread has me confused. I am on a CX Flight Hong Kong Bangkok then connecting to a TG flight Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I check my bags all the way to Chaing Mai (interline from CX to TG?)
2. Do I need to Collect my bags and Clear Customs/Immigration in BKK?
3. Assuming answer to 1 is no, I imagine I need to grab my bags and then recheck with TG in BKK?
3. Why would customs be done in Chaing Mai? I assume the TG flight is domestic and much like the rest of the world, no additional customs/immigration needed.

I guess the whole CNX is an international airport comment is only applicable if you are arriving from an international destination?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
If your bags are thru checked then of course you will have to clear customs at CNX, otherwise you would have avoided customs entirely!

I haven't done this in Thailand but in other countries Ive seen bags which have not yet cleared customs come out on a different belt when arriving on a domestic flight.

If you re check bags at BKK after clearing customs there then clearly that's a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.