Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Four days in Dallas: where to stay, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four days in Dallas: where to stay, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Gotcha. Can you recommend a better one to look at outside the Down/Uptown area?
What's your situation? Are you flying into DFW or Love? Will you be renting a car or require public transportation? What would you like to be close to?

For example, if you fly into DFW then you can stay in Grapevine or Irving since there are plenty of hotels that have shuttle service. Then you can find a rental car company close to your hotel since airport rentals are killers with their taxes. Most hotels outside of the Dallas core have free parking. Of course there's also AirBnB.

If it was me, I would probably book in Las Colinas (a nicer part of Irving, stay away from south Irving) since it's not too far from the airport, but it's far enough. It's actually a nice suburb, the Bryon Nelson is played there if you follow golf. See if one of the hotels have a shuttle, but if not then you can actually take the DART from DFW to downtown Las Colinas and see if the hotel will pick you up or use Uber or Lyft. Las Colinas is situated off of 114 which is a major highway. Take 114 to 183 to 35 and that will lead you straight to the downtown core. Or take the DART from downtown Las Colinas to downtown Dallas.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think the Market Center area fails your walkability request.

The Hyatt House Uptown seems like a points bargain, as a category 1. The street it's on is heavy traffic, but you're just a few block walk from the pleasant/interesting parts of Uptown and the Katy Trail. Parking is paid, but relatively reasonable at $14.

By the way, in case you aren't already using it, try awardmapper.com; it's ideal for a situation like yours, where you have a variety of hotel points and want to see what's available in a certain area.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by swag

The Hyatt House Uptown seems like a points bargain, as a category 1. The street it's on is heavy traffic, but you're just a few block walk from the pleasant/interesting parts of Uptown and the Katy Trail.
Didn't even know that was there

Agree on being close to interesting area, probably 10-15 minute walk. Katy Trail even closer.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
What's your situation? Are you flying into DFW or Love? Will you be renting a car or require public transportation? What would you like to be close to?
DFW, will have to return to a DFW hotel at the end of the four nights. I will be renting a car. As far as being close to places - I want to be reasonably close to Down/Uptown that a drive isn't an hour, but really, I'd much prefer a hotel in a nice enough neighborhood with at least something to do (and free parking). I'd rather not rent a car, but I get a feeling I won't be able to get away with it since I do want to go to the zoo and out to a lake or two.
If it was me, I would probably book in Las Colinas (a nicer part of Irving, stay away from south Irving) since it's not too far from the airport, but it's far enough. It's actually a nice suburb, the Bryon Nelson is played there if you follow golf. See if one of the hotels have a shuttle, but if not then you can actually take the DART from DFW to downtown Las Colinas and see if the hotel will pick you up or use Uber or Lyft. Las Colinas is situated off of 114 which is a major highway. Take 114 to 183 to 35 and that will lead you straight to the downtown core. Or take the DART from downtown Las Colinas to downtown Dallas.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag

The Hyatt House Uptown seems like a points bargain, as a category 1. The street it's on is heavy traffic, but you're just a few block walk from the pleasant/interesting parts of Uptown and the Katy Trail. Parking is paid, but relatively reasonable at $14.

By the way, in case you aren't already using it, try awardmapper.com; it's ideal for a situation like yours, where you have a variety of hotel points and want to see what's available in a certain area.
Awardmapper is awesome (even if sometimes inaccurate). I saw the Hyatt House Uptown and might just have to swallow the $14 parking charge. Since Market Center isn't the way to go (just as well, I wasn't able to find a Hilton property I liked), may as well stay close-ish to Up/Downtown.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I do want to go to the zoo and out to a lake or two.
For decent lakes you're out of luck without a car, but Dallas Zoo is very accessible via Light Rail.

And while there's a high airport surcharge for DFW (and DAL), I have taken advantage of some really cheap rates out of DFW, DAL not as often.

And since that airport surcharge is a percentage of rental, if rental is cheap that surcharge isn't bad.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Sixt has a Prius C for $175 for the four days. Not too bad.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I did end up booking at the Hyatt House (transferred 18K UR points to accompany the 2K I already had from a Vegas stay - I don't do Hyatt much). Might actually try to see if there's a car rental place nearby, because I do suspect it will stand idle for a couple of days while we hang out in Up/Downtown. Or I can also try Turo.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Yes, you will need a car to get around Dallas since everything is too spread-out and the light rail (DART) is too limited. One trick that has worked for me is rent outside the airport and return at the airport without paying extra. This has worked for Sixt. By the way, try to avoid rush hour from 3-6 PM on the weekdays.

Other things to do is Lower Greenville Avenue for bars and restaurants. It has that hipster/college feel to it. Drive around Highland Park to see some of the beautiful homes where a lot of the 1% live. Have a sunset dinner on top of Reunion Tower at the rotating restaurant Five-Sixty. It may be a little bit of a drive, but the Stockyards in Fort Worth gives you that western feel.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

A train runs pretty much to where the hotel is, so that's a definite plus not to have to rent at the airport and waste at least a night's worth of rental. Unfortunately, it looks like renting in the city and returning to the airport isn't having much of an effect (on Sixt's website) on pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.