Search

Texas in July: questions/advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Texas in July: questions/advice?

Hey guys,

I will be traveling down to Houston in the end of July. My girlfriend will be in Houston for a month, so I will come down and visit her and travel through Texas. I have been wanting to visit for a while and this is the perfect opportunity. I have few questions and I welcome any advice!

I was thinking of flying into Dallas and driving down to Corpus Christi and then to Houston. How is the drive from Dallas to Corpus Christi/Houston? Is there a scenic route or do you guys recommend just flying into Houston (if there is nothing to see between Dallas and Houston). I like to drive if there are cool things along the way, but if there is nothingness, i would rather fly into Houston.

How is Corpus Christi and Galvenstone? Any recommendations?

Anything cool to do in Houston? I like outdoor, sight seeing, landscape, not much into museums during travel.

We are also going to Austin, which I heard fantastic things about. Anything specific or hidden gems you guys can think off?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:30 am

Fly into Houston. There might be one or two things you might find interesting during the drive, but it is mostly nothingness, in my opinion, and not worth the time.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
That drive is a whole lotta flat boring nothing. Fly to Houston.

Houston in July. Ah, yes, pleasant weather there..... I hope you like saunas.

The coast is interesting, at least a little cooler.

In Houston, check out Johnson Space Center.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:50 am

If you like outdoors and landscapes, July is not the best time, and Houston isn't exactly known for landscapes. The cool things in Houston would be its people and cheap and delicious food from all around the world. There are a few nice museums (Menil- free and in the 1,000 Place list, Fine Arts Museum- free on Thursdays thanks to Shell), but you said you're not really into that. It is also known for performing arts, if you are into that. I really like to picnic and watch free performances at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/events/month/. There are also some quirkier museums/sights in Houston, like the president statues (never actually been so I don't know the name) and things affiliated with the Orange Show Foundation: Art Car Museum, Beer Can House, Orange Show.

Austin has a lot more outdoor sights and activities, even within the city: Lady Bird Lake (formerly known as Town Lake), Barton Springs, Barton Creek Greenbelt, etc. Barton Creek Greenbelt may be dry, but there are some cool spots like Sculpture Falls and Twin Falls. As you go out west there are even more county and state parks with scenic spots. I've done Austin--> Hamilton Pool --> Enchanted Rock for sunset --> Austin in one long day before and have also just ended in Fredicksburg before.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
No offense OP, but I LOLed at a "scenic route" between Dallas and Houston. Like the others said fly into Houston.

Spend any free time you have in Austin, great food, music, outdoor activities (although it will probably be 100 degrees). You name it, they've got it. If you can, stay downtown and explore the city. South Congress, 6th street, Lady Bird Lake, Zilker Park, and lots of other stuff.

Corpus Christi and Galveston are ok, nothing like the east/west coasts, but they're cool.

Houston and Dallas are what I would call indoor/professional cities. Not many outdoor hot spots, mainly awesome restaurants, great museums, sporting events, and lots of office buildings and houses spread out all over. Just not much green space like Austin, although that's changing.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
If you actually want to see Texas you can come to Fort Worth.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
If you actually want to see Texas you can come to Fort Worth.
+1

There are things to do and see in Fort Worth ^

As someone who's driven Dallas and or Fort Worth - Galveston over 100 times I can assure you it's not scenic. OK, you pass by Sam Houston National Forest, but you'd have to turn off I-45 to get into the forest.

Galveston is good for a day or two, perhaps three - it has many historic buildings, but the beach is nothing special (that BTW is an understatement). The free ferry to Bolivar Peninsula is interesting as you will have dolphins swimming alongside.

Basically Dallas and Houston are cities to live and work in, but not visit.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

I was planing on staying one day in Corpus Christi, one day in Galveston (is it possible to do two in one day?) and spend the rest of my time in Austin. Ive never been to Texas, so no idea if its scenic or not, I will take your advice and fly into Houston.

Any recommendations for Galvenston/Corpus?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:33 am
Original Poster

P.S. I also like ghost towns and remote places, any recommendations?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by djmagnum
Downtown Galveston has many restored historic buildings and Garden District (as well as couple of others) have nice old residential buildings. Lots of trees for shade, so nice for walking around.

Moody Gardens has plethora of attractions and I already mentioned Bolivar Ferry.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
P.S. I also like ghost towns and remote places, any recommendations?
I can't speak for ghost towns but there are some nice state parks if you like outdoor stuff and have a month free.
Map of Texas State Parks
Some of them are within easy reach of Austin. You will want to go in the morning because in July the heat will be intense. Colorado Bend is good.

There are some others west and southwest of San Antonio which I always wanted to visit but was never able to. These parks are a long drive but the pictures made them seem enticing.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Fly into Houston if you can, gather up your girlfriend, then drive to Fredericksburg for a night, then onto Austin via Luckenbach.

http://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH G, PC Plat
I was planing on staying one day in Corpus Christi, one day in Galveston (is it possible to do two in one day?) and spend the rest of my time in Austin. Ive never been to Texas, so no idea if its scenic or not, I will take your advice and fly into Houston.

As others said, nothing interesting in the DFW-IAH drive. July is the time to be on the beach. The water is very nicely warm. The barrier islands around Corpus have very nice beaches (by TX standards, anyway). Some of that is state/national parks. It is possible to see some wildlife beyond the usual seagalls/pelicans in Galveston - other birds, perhaps a turtle in the water, perhaps even dolphins. There are some nice places to eat on or very close to the water. Moon Dog's in Rockport/Fulton and Doc's in Corpus are a couple. Corpus has USS Lexington and the TX State Aquarium, although you said you're not into museums.

Driving through the islands and coastal areas can be borderline scenic. At least I find seeing the ocean (Gulf) generally a positive view. It's all still Texas, however, so don't expect the refinement of the European Mediterranean or Hawaii or various other "aspirational" destinations.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Make sure to stop at bucees gas station. From Houston to Austin there are multiple on the way depending on which route you take. Don't stop at the one at 290 and Muescheke there is a better bigger one just a few minutes up the road. Bu-cees is the best gas station in the world with the cleanest restrooms you will ever see and some amazing food. Definitely make sure to try the beaver nuggets. The ones in New Branfuels and Luling are my favorites I have been in a traffic jam in their parking lot.

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input!

I actually had a change of itinerary and would love some more feedback. I am flying in on a Tuesday and spending Tue-Fri traveling through TX. Basically, I am arriving into IAH on Tue and have to be back in IAH on Fri to drop off my car and my girlfriend will pick me up.

The big question is what should I do on Tue/Wen/Thur? My gf and I are going to Galvenston and Austin over the weekend, what are your suggestions for the 3 days before? I love to drive and want to see as much as I can. I was thinking of the following:

Tue: Drive to SA
Wend: Drive to Corpus Christi
Thur: No idea

Where to go? What to see? I love outdoors, sightseeing, I like small towns and/or ghost towns. I have 3 free days, please let me know what you all recommend! Thanks!

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Jun 27, 2014 at 11:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.