Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel Near IAH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Best Hotel Near IAH

Hello All,

I'm going to be traveling back from a conference in Galveston to IAH by town car and need to grab a hotel near the airport before taking a flight out relatively early the next morning. Keeping in mind the Marriott IAH is pushing $300/night, I need to find something less expensive.

Are there any spots that are better than others (bars, restaurants)? From my research, it seems very sparse out there.

Thanks,

Gernabae
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold
The JFK Blvd hotels include a Hampton, DoubleTree, Red Roof, Country Inn, LaQuinta, Hilton Garden Inn, Sheraton, Spring Hill, and maybe others.

These are all a quick shuttle ride to the terminals. Not much in the way of dining; either the DoubleTree, Sheraton, Jack-in-the-Box (fast food grease), and a few other places.

Will Clayton (east of the terminals) has a few mid/low scale properties but dining seems to be limited to a Sonic (if you consider that dining).

Further away, there is a Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott. Those really have no area dining options other than in-hose.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm kind of surprised by the amount of hotels in the clusters you mention and the lack of suitable dining establishments.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold
There is also a Staybridge on Beltway 8 (southwest of IAH).

I've stayed here a few times.

It is a very nice, relatively new-build property with an outdoor pool, free washer/dryers, and the Staybridge extended breakfast spread. Their shuttle runs sparsely, like every hour, not always running on weekends but they'll pay for a taxi. As for dining, there is only a Burger King within walking distance (if you consider that dining).
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We stayed at the Hampton Inn on JFK last year. It wasn't bad...typical Hampton, but the price was right.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Which of the aereas JFK blv or Will Clayton would be easiest for getting downtown by public transport early in the morning?,I am aware of the fact that Houston public transport is far,far from good,but is it posible from theese areas and how long time would it take ?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by geirfugl
Which of the aereas JFK blv or Will Clayton would be easiest for getting downtown by public transport early in the morning?,I am aware of the fact that Houston public transport is far,far from good,but is it posible from theese areas and how long time would it take ?
JFK

The 102 Bus goes downtown. Costs $1.25 and takes about an hour.

There used to be a direct service for 10-20 dollars that was cancelled but some older pamphlets still advertise it, however the 102 is now the only Metro link.

To be fair Houston has a well used system in some areas and a high rail ridership but that is mainly inside the loop and SE and SW. Northside is not good at all.

edited to add www.ridemetro.org

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Dec 26, 2014 at 6:47 pm Reason: to add link
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:11 pm

In August will do a one-night stay near IAH. I just want a quiet hotel, a good night's sleep.

Are there particular hotels by the airport that are known for getting lots of late-night arrivals (i.e., noise in the middle of the night), maybe passengers booked there from canceled flights?

I don't have an early morning flight, so staying a bit away from the airport would be OKor maybe I should just book closer to the airport (e.g., the Sheraton)? And I'm wondering if I'd be better off at the Hampton, Doubletree, or Hyatt Place which are near IAH, but are not large hotels like the Sheraton is.

Any recommendations?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Best Hotel Near IAH

I did a couple of overnight layovers in IAH recently and stayed at the Days Inn in Humble, and free shuttle bus which runs every 30 mibs. It was clean, very comfortable beds, laundry facility and small enough that it was very quiet at night.

If you want dining close by, there is a Longhorn restaurant withing walking distance as well as several other fast food joints and an Ihop for breakfast if the comp hotel b/fast isn't enough.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Richym99
...recently and stayed at the Days Inn in Humble...
Thanks for the information, Richym99.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Any recommendations?
Dated Information Alert. Used to stay there very frequently. Have not been back in several years.

That part of town was / is not restaurant wonderland, and once you get off JFK is kind of edgy. Unless you are familiar with the area or are willing to cab some distance I would suggest staying on JFK between the airport and the beltway. The choices were fast food or hotel food but there were a few choices in walking distance. Shuttle ride time increases exponentially as you get off JFK.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Hanging my question on here...we will have an overnight at IAH in October, coming in about at about 6pm on a Saturday evening from Europe, so be outside probably around 7:30pm and leave the next morning at 7:37am from IAH.

Currently have the Sheraton reserved for our party because as SPG-plat I get a striking chance to a suite-upgrade and access to their lounge for soft drinks and water. Also I remember a small strip mall across the street with some food outlets offering some choice apart from ordering pizza.

That said I think the rate I have is rather high for a weekend night ($112+tax), so given the decline of the Euro I would look at alternatives if there are any.

At the optimum the hotel should have a lounge available (and open on a Saturday evening) and be either affiliated with SPG or Marriott (maybe Hilton if Gold gets me reliably into the lounge). Breakfast obviously is of no concern for me given the early departure unless they start serving that around 5am. Other than that I would like to have a pool to drip in and a room spacious enough for two adults and two children (two queens or King plus Sofa bed required). And, of course, an airport shuttle operating early is a must since we will not rent a car.

Any suggestions based on this criteria? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:03 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jayer
Dated Information Alert. Used to stay there very frequently. Have not been back in several years.

That part of town was / is not restaurant wonderland, and once you get off JFK is kind of edgy.
You mean dodgy

Ya, there's plenty of empty space outside of the two main roads.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Houston Marriott North a couple months ago which would meet your criteria, here's a review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ouston-tx.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.