Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW to modify gates at Terminal D for A380

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I don't think Emirates bringing the A380 will cause others to do the same, but I am surprised that they beat BA to the punch.
Merely having the infrastructure to handle the A380 is half the battle. The current BA time slot would put it at a great match for the A380 gate. The QF7 arrival might be kind of tricky, but there's plenty of leeway to move the flight around a couple hours in either direction to make it work. Given the seemingly full loads on the QF flight, I think that would be a winner for everyone. However, I think I read somewhere that the QF A380's aren't properly equipped to handle the weight of the extra fuel that would be needed, but could be retrofitted if needed.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Just getting around to Friday's Dallas Morning News business section, and they confirm.

Moreover, they state that the reason for switch is that both other major Middle East airlines are coming to DFW this year

Originally Posted by aviationblog.dallasnews.com
Emirates has been using a Boeing 777-200LR airplane, with 266 seats. The Airbus A380 has 489 seats, an 84 percent increase.

Emirates announced the aircraft upsizing as it faces coming competition from two other Middle Eastern carriers that plan to launch D/FW service in 2014. Qatar Airways will fly from Doha beginning July 1, and Etihad Airways will fly from Abu Dhabi beginning Dec. 3.
Full story here.

That's a heck of lot of extra seat from DFW to Middle East (and beyond).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by EmailKid
That's a heck of lot of extra seat from DFW to Middle East (and beyond).
Fare wars are my favorite kind!
Old May 6, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And now QF as well.
http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...llasfort-worth

QF from 29 Sept 2014
EK from 1 Oct 2014

QF will be a 6-day/wk service (not Tue) and now fly SYD-DFW-SYD with the extra A380 range avoiding the BNE stop on the journey to Australia
Old May 7, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Just saw this one the news. Good for DFW. The direct to Sydney will be a great change.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Just saw this one the news. Good for DFW. The direct to Sydney will be a great change.
Unless you WANT to go to Brisbane

But agree it's a feather in the cap for DFW ^
Old May 31, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
So, both Qantas and Emirates will operate A380s ex-DFW? Nice. If more airlines decide to do it, maybe they need a second A380 capable gate?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
So, both Qantas and Emirates will operate A380s ex-DFW? Nice. If more airlines decide to do it, maybe they need a second A380 capable gate?
I bet that's already on their radar. With them considering a new terminal, a gate retrofit wouldn't break the bank. I'm assuming another Middle East carrier will probably be the next to announce. I doubt LH or BA will fly a 380 out of DFW, even when BA retires the 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.