Search

Quotes and quoting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How about quoting from previous pages?
What is your specific question? There are no fixed pages. Members control the page length and chronology (newest first or oldest first) in their settings.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the quotation issue is a Technical issue rather than something within the purview of TalkBoard, the discussion has been consolidated here.

/Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Would it increase bandwidth having truncated quotes i.e be a good thing?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Me either.

I have noticed a lot of folk in Omni (where the link in the OP is from & which only Omni-enabled folk can view, btw) have a tendency to do more full quotes than other forums.

Not saying it doesn't happen in other forums btw. It does.

I would find it more annoying to have a quote truncated & then have to click on it to find out it's one that was full. At least on the full quote I can just skip the quote & look at the response.

Note I'm speaking as a FTer & not a TB member re: my above comments.

Cheers.
This. I wouldn't like having to click on it to read the full quote.
Originally Posted by JDiver
As the quotation issue is a Technical issue rather than something within the purview of TalkBoard, the discussion has been consolidated here.

/Moderator
Interesting that IBobi suggested this be discussed by TalkBoard to determine if it was something that the community would like to see implemented, and once in the TalkBoard forum, it gets moved back to Technical Support and Feedback.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:48 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver

/Moderator
I suggested TalkBoard because while it would require tech to adopt this change (if it is even possible), we would never enact such a sweeping change to the way the forums are displayed without a mandate from TB/Carol.

Essentially, I won't pursue something like this unless asked to by the FT top brass. Can you imagine if IB just implemented every change asked for by a single member
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The issue will be referred to the Community Directr for placement and process.

/Moderator
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:43 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by kipper
It's never been a big bother to me to snip quotes.
Community Director weighing in here. I agree with kipper. I routinely cut quotes down to the portion to which I want to refer. I dislike seeing quotes where everything is kept including pictures when all that it being commented on is one line.

I appreciate the OPs desire to do the same, but am not confident that software determining a partial quote really accomplishes much. Members would still need to determine if that is the portion that is relevant to the point that the responder wants to make

Carol
Community Director

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 20, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, the forum I am thinking of that seems to handle it quite well is an army one, and as such is not really for the faint hearted so I will see if I can find an example that is "safe" later. It is built on XenForo if that helps with the manner in which they accomplish truncation. But here is an example and if there are words that put me on the naughty step it was not deliberate, honest, it is just an example of "Click to Expand" !

Example of "Click to Expand for Quotes".
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:53 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So, the forum I am thinking of that seems to handle it quite well is an army one, and as such is not really for the faint hearted so I will see if I can find an example that is "safe" later. It is built on XenForo if that helps with the manner in which they accomplish truncation. But here is an example and if there are words that put me on the naughty step it was not deliberate, honest, it is just an example of "Click to Expand" !

Example of "Click to Expand for Quotes".
Ah -- if it is built on a non-VB platform, it won't even be an option that we could easily implement.

And I concur with Carol -- it really is up to the user to take the very minimal step of cutting the part of a quote they don't wish to republish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.