Search

Error post?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Error post?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...al-prices.html has been in Travel News since at least mid-day, with no content and an error message if you try to reply to it. Only 2 of the 100 Views are mine, so a lot of other people are probably running into this error.

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

If you received this message immediately after posting a new thread, there's a good chance your message was flagged as spam and will be looked at by our moderator team.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I saw that thread too.

I am guessing it's still waiting for MOD's approval due to a hyperlink in post from a low-post-count OP (aka spam trap mechanism). Us regular folks will get to view it once MOD clears the queue, if ever.

ETA:
Originally Posted by CPRich
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...al-prices.html has been in Travel News since at least mid-day, with no content and an error message if you try to reply to it.
OP had cross-posted in another thread that got closed not too long ago by TravelBuzz MOD, if you want to see OP's talking about.

Last edited by lin821; Oct 11, 2014 at 10:45 am Reason: ETA
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...al-prices.html has been in Travel News since at least mid-day, with no content and an error message if you try to reply to it. Only 2 of the 100 Views are mine, so a lot of other people are probably running into this error.
This seems to happen when a moderator removes the posts or nukes the OP's FT account.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, that's what typically happens. But it usually happens quickly. After a day and half and 200 views, I think something's not working.

But the Admin who responded to my email said I needed to clear the cache from my browser to fix it.

Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:01 am

But the Admin who responded to my email said I needed to clear the cache from my browser to fix it.

I really don't get why IB admin/tech dept almost always assumes something's wrong with users' end and ask FTers to fix our own machines when FT decides to get "funky" out of the blue when we know for sure our machines are perfectly fine.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's the deal : occasional posts get caught in the moderator queue and a senior mod or administrator has to go to higher level tools to approve a post. We don't know exactly why it happens, but it (rarely, fortunately) does.

The post in question was also ctoss-posted in several for a. The only post remaining is the one in the closed thread referred to in TravelBuzx.

JDivr
Senior Moderatot
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Here's the deal : occasional posts get caught in the moderator queue and a senior mod or administrator has to go to higher level tools to approve a post. We don't know exactly why it happens, but it (rarely, fortunately) does.
That proves my point perfectly:

Originally Posted by lin821
I really don't get why IB admin/tech dept almost always assumes something's wrong with users' end and ask FTers to fix our own machines when FT decides to get "funky" out of the blue when we know for sure our machines are perfectly fine.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:49 am

That proves my point perfectly:
Not exactly . Though this does occur (some known glitches), clearing one's cache (and cookies, in some instances) continues to be sound advice for a number of improper page renditions, etc. on FT and elsewhere. I'm continually surprised by the number of people who do not perform periodic maintenance and care on their machines (and end up with "stuck data" and other issues.

The Tech folks are trying to help, no malice is intended. It's an easy conclusion and fix to suggest cache clearing.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:13 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

JDiver was correct about this link. The post is in moderation and tagged as spam, since it was posted by a new user with a link in the post.

Thank you for your patience, everyone!

The post in question was also ctoss-posted in several for a. The only post remaining is the one in the closed thread referred to in TravelBuzx.

JDivr
Senior Moderatot
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

Not exactly . Though this does occur (some known glitches), clearing one's cache (and cookies, in some instances) continues to be sound advice for a number of improper page renditions, etc. on FT and elsewhere.
You miss my point. Yes, clearing cache sometimes is a possible fix for certain glitches. In this particular case, a thread "stuck" in mod queue with the title viewable to the general public cannot and will not be "fixed" by clearing cache in the end users' machines, will it? I'll be more than happy to be corrected though.

Obviously, I am not the only one who's "confused" by the cache fix:

Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

You miss my point. Yes, clearing cache sometimes is a possible fix for certain glitches. In this particular case, a thread "stuck" in mod queue with the title viewable to the general public cannot and will not be "fixed" by clearing cache in the end users' machines, will it? I'll be more than happy to be corrected though.

Obviously, I am not the only one who's "confused" by the cache fix:

No. Other tools and tricks available to administrators and moderators are needed to clear a "stuck" post or thread in the moderation queue. Nothing a member can do will change a stuck thread or post.

But some page renderings, data displays, etc. often enough can be fixed by some cache cleanup, and it's why the suggestion is often made initially for those kinds of issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.