Search

Upcoming Maintenance - Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Upcoming Maintenance - Questions

First question is pretty basic and that's why is high-volume website being taken down during the normal business hours not once but twice - instead of having maintenance run in the early morning hours (granted that's the middle of the day for some timezones, but the US is where the majority of the FT volume comes from)

Second is WHAT changes are being implemented? Excuse me for being blunt, but past "maintenance fixes" have hurt not helped this site on multiple occasions, so what is being changed by the work?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I'd imagine it is being done during 'office hours' so people don't have to rearrange schedule.

But I think that is pretty lame, in the IT biz it is important to meet your customers best time, not your own.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:18 am

Regarding the time, there are multiple reasons why we're doing it on this day, and at this time, but mostly because it's the time when schedules are open for all of the people involved. It's not just a couple of people doing this, there is a decent sized team who's members have conflicting schedules. Obviously, everyone is free at 2am, but we feel that it's safer to do this when we are fully staffed, so that if something does go wrong we aren't trying to call and wake people up in the middle of the night. We're mitigating against a worst case scenario.

I'm not at liberty to discuss exactly what we're doing, but we are doing maintenance to increase the speed of the database, which is our largest performance bottleneck.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, but can't help wishing there was more meat to the "what"

Good luck and fingers crossed this one goes well!!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
The new ft mobile interface is impressive. Great functionality and aesthetics.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
The new ft mobile interface is impressive. Great functionality and aesthetics.
Is that the one with the graphics? It's too data heavy and took too long to load, so I reverted to the original version. If it's been updated and would have less impact, I'd try it again
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Is that the one with the graphics? It's too data heavy and took too long to load, so I reverted to the original version. If it's been updated and would have less impact, I'd try it again
It hasn't been updated.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Now I'm back in the older wap version. Gallery.flyertalk.com/wap is leading to that along with mobile.flyertalk.com

Is there a trick to switch back to the new version?

Is there a plan to add the Top 10 Wireless Posters link into the newest update?

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Sep 14, 2010 at 1:17 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:38 am

I don't know how this conversation got sidetracked to mobile, but none of the maintenance that we're doing today has anything to do with mobile.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
I don't know how this conversation got sidetracked to mobile, but none of the maintenance that we're doing today has anything to do with mobile.
Is that FTs back online tonight? How many hours is that? Is that Internet server problems? Why I can't used with my cell phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.