Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am flying xxx-LHR-ORD. Transit time is under 5hrs. Flying into LHR on BA metal and flying LHR-ORD on AA metal.

Requested SWU waitlist on AA metal. EXP agent made me give the cc info for some "forward cabin tax". I am guessing she was talking about the APD.

I don't believe there should be any APD at the time of upgrade. Is my understanding correct? If so, should I call to clarify now? Or when the upgrade clears?
If I'm understanding the question correctly, the answer provided in the FAQ above seems to be that you do need to pay -- exactly when is a separate issue -- which seems to make sense:

● UK Air Passenger Duty / APD for LHR/UK departures: (Often incorrectly called "Luxury tax"): Departing from the UK (or on a layover of 24:00 or longer via the U.K.), you'll be charged the APD of around $110. This applies for upgrades to business only. Upgrading business to first doesn't incur this, (since your business ticket already included the APD). This does not apply TO the U.K. or to connecting in under 24:00 in the U.K.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am flying xxx-LHR-ORD. Transit time is under 5hrs. Flying into LHR on BA metal and flying LHR-ORD on AA metal.

Requested SWU waitlist on AA metal. EXP agent made me give the cc info for some "forward cabin tax". I am guessing she was talking about the APD.

I don't believe there should be any APD at the time of upgrade. Is my understanding correct? If so, should I call to clarify now? Or when the upgrade clears?
From what the Wiki says, I'd say no, you don't pay the APD. It may be the AAgent did not see the connecting flight and thought you were originating at LHR. There are no requirements you must be connecting on the same airline or even the same PNR.

If it was me, I would call in again to get clarification. If you can head off the charge to begin with it would better than having to chase a refund. AA doesn't seem to be real quick submitting them.

Last edited by RogerD408; Sep 27, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what the Wiki says, I'd say no, you don't pay the APD. It may be the AAgent did not see the connecting flight and thought you were originating at LHR. There are no requirements you must be connecting on the same airline or even the same PNR.

If it was me, I would call in again to get clarification. If you can head off the charge to begin with it would better than having to chase a refund. AA doesn't seem to be real quick submitting them.
Absolutely agree.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Absolutely agree.

Thank you gents. That was my understanding as well.

I did call and next AAgent was better informed. She did acknowledge, it's a common misunderstanding among agents but rates desk is better informed and does not charge the tax when re-ticketing.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I am flying HKG-LAX-ORD. LAX-ORD has A inventory available. Let's say I am fine/happy with my SWU used only for LAX-ORD (aka not clearing the WL and having to slum it in HKG-LAX). But of course what I want is HKG-LAX-ORD all cleared in one SWU. Should I apply the SWU to LAX-ORD now then? If I do this would I need a 2nd SWU to 'clear again' the HKG-LAX upgrade once inventory opens?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I am flying HKG-LAX-ORD. LAX-ORD has A inventory available. Let's say I am fine/happy with my SWU used only for LAX-ORD (aka not clearing the WL and having to slum it in HKG-LAX). But of course what I want is HKG-LAX-ORD all cleared in one SWU. Should I apply the SWU to LAX-ORD now then? If I do this would I need a 2nd SWU to 'clear again' the HKG-LAX upgrade once inventory opens?
It will only use one swu even if you apply now.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One SWU will be sufficient for HKG-LAX-ORD as long as it's on one ticket. I'll let others weigh in on the subjective portion of your question (whether you should clear the domestic leg now and risk non-clearance of HKG-LAX).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
That was my question. Say I (voluntarily) clear/go ahead with the domestic leg now. Is it still possible, using the same SWU, to be on the waitlist and hopefully eventually clear HKG-LAX?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it's possible and with one SWU. Whether you should do it is another question, with the potential for lots of disagreement.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, it's possible and with one SWU. Whether you should do it is another question, with the potential for lots of disagreement.
Why would there be any disagreement?

Let's say I am fine/happy with my SWU used only for LAX-ORD (aka not clearing the WL and having to slum it in HKG-LAX).
It's an assumption on OPs part but if he goes ahead with it who are to decide best use of his SWUs?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am guessing some would say LAX-ORD is achievable using stickers so it won't be worth a single SWU.

I was worried that had I used my SWU into A for this segment, I would need to use an extra SWU to clear HKG-LAX once there is C. Well since this is not the case, then that's great. I'll go ahead with domestic only for now (happy with that since domestic leg is 787 with flat bed.)
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I am guessing some would say LAX-ORD is achievable using stickers so it won't be worth a single SWU.

I was worried that had I used my SWU into A for this segment, I would need to use an extra SWU to clear HKG-LAX once there is C. Well since this is not the case, then that's great. I'll go ahead with domestic only for now (happy with that since domestic leg is 787 with flat bed.)
The 787 part makes much more sense. Those upgrades are a bit harder to clear and worth more than say a 737 upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
AA SWU / systemwide upgrade to MXP taken back

I just had a shock! I was upgraded to Milan and when I went to board they took my upgrade back!
The gate agent claimed it was her perogative and I wasn't first on the list. I was upgraded BOS to JFK and my upgrade JFK to MXP came through before we took off from Boston.
Any rules I should know? Has anyone else experienced this? I called the EXP desk and they said they'd return the systemwide. Ugh!
Thanks for your advice and thoughts
Angel
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have moved your post from the TalkBoard Topics Forum to the proper airline's forum.

JDiver, Moderator

My guess is your seat was allocated to a Federal Air Marshal, or perhaps they took the seat of a passenger paying for Business and you were then displaced for. The GA has no such prerogative, but if a FAM issue, they are prohibited by law from telling you that (and as a result you may be told nonsense reasons), and nobody can deny a FAM (or two) seats on a flight that has been selected.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Geez that would suck. Curious: did it clear on its own or did you "push it" after availability opened up (e.g. after receiving an EF notification).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.