Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by onobond
IMHO, a major revision of fora, and closing down threads beeing used as chat room / lounges for a handful members would benefit the overall FT experience for a majority of members
I don't see any problem at all with having a forum that's frequented by a passionate handful of members even if I never go there. Manufactured Spending might be in this category.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I disagree, however, that the current TB/TN structure makes for a better-organized structure for information retrieval. It is far more logical to have one forum for topics like a new air frame rather than two.
I thought that the problem TN solved was overload of Travel Buzz, splitting off a subset of threads to improve the readability of Travel Buzz. Is my belief incorrect?

If Travel Buzz could absorb the functionality of Travel News without reduction in utility to users, that would be a good argument for merging the two.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wharvey
I actually took Travel News off of "MyFlyertalk" a few years ago.... I found that the forum had lost its value and did feel that it duplicated the more robust TravelBuzz forum.

My personal view had not changed.... I think the fact that so many threads get moved is evidence of the redundancy.

I feel like this is getting personal between a few members with accusations of "ulterior motives" but no one is willing to state the motives.

While I do not have a vote, I would support a decision to close the forum.
I agree completely re: the loss of value and redundancy. I actually put it back on MyFT and click occasionally, mostly out or morbid curiosity, as if I am visiting a hospice.

♫♫ Arrows and padlocks and padlocks and arrows,
Padlock and arrows and arrows and padlocks ...
These are a few of my favo(u)rite things ♫♫

Whether or not there are ulterior motives, it matters not. What matters is that many of us don't waste our time on extra clicks, or waste our time posting in the wrong place if one hasn't read and understood a dissertation on posting, or feel dumb or afraid to post again if one has had a thread locked or redirected.

It matters not that TN may be well-moderated or managed or however it was mentioned, supra, because that isn't the issue. The issue is how much moderation that it needs vis à vis arrows and padlocks. The further issue is that all the content already has another home.

Be kind, rewind the TN forum. It is about as useful as a VHS tape.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
♫♫ Arrows and padlocks and padlocks and arrows,
Padlock and arrows and arrows and padlocks ...
These are a few of my favo(u)rite things ♫♫
So I take it you would NOT be happy with all those redirects appearing in Travel Buzz instead of in Travel News? Because that's where they will be if the Travel News function moves to Travel Buzz. Maybe it's better to keep what some people consider clutter confined to the smaller TN forum?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is there any other difference that I am maybe missing?
One thing you're missing is that Travel News, and Newsstand prior to that, did not require commentary on a news article. I've posted a couple hundred in those forums over the years, less so since the Talk Board limited what topics could be posted here, and just let them stand on their own without commentary. I might offer comments here or there, but not on the majority of articles.

If you close Travel News, will we be able to continue to post news articles in Travel Buzz without comments? For instance, if I post an article from today titled "Airlines sex up safety videos to capture fliers' attention" with a few lines from it, what will happen to it in Travel Buzz? If you don't know the answer, you should not be closing Travel News.

Piano-playing cats, ice bucket challenges and bikini clad stewardesses are not typically associated with air travel safety.
But all three have featured in airline safety videos as carriers compete to capture passengers' attention and loyalty.
Flag carriers have recruited celebrities, cute children and even professional surfers in recent years to enhance their onboard safety briefings.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...attention.html

If I post this in Travel Buzz, do you have agreement from the moderators there that it won't be locked or deleted if I don't offer commentary? Are the moderators there prepared to take on the extra workload from news articles being posted in their forum?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you. Well-said.

Along with military aviation, Travel News has turned out to be a good home for stories about specific airframes/aircraft that are not airline-specific in their import.
And Civil Aviation, as well.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Maybe there needs to be some kind of rebalancing of content between Travel News and Travel Buzz? Travel Buzz is kind of Travel Omni so maybe all news story type things should go into Travel News.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
One thing you're missing is that Travel News, and Newsstand prior to that, did not require commentary on a news article. I've posted a couple hundred in those forums over the years, less so since the Talk Board limited what topics could be posted here, and just let them stand on their own without commentary. I might offer comments here or there, but not on the majority of articles.

If you close Travel News, will we be able to continue to post news articles in Travel Buzz without comments? For instance, if I post an article from today titled "Airlines sex up safety videos to capture fliers' attention" with a few lines from it, what will happen to it in Travel Buzz? If you don't know the answer, you should not be closing Travel News.

If I post this in Travel Buzz, do you have agreement from the moderators there that it won't be locked or deleted if I don't offer commentary? Are the moderators there prepared to take on the extra workload from news articles being posted in their forum?
I hadn't thought about that. It's a good point and the above is an excellent question that should be answered before anything is done with TN.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911

Like exilencfc, I compare TravelBuzz with the OMNIs.

If a conversation is unrelated to travel, points or miles then it belongs in OMNI. Whether that conversation starts with a link to an article or a random question or assertion makes no difference, it belongs in OMNI. There is no 'OMNI News' because that would redundant to what OMNI already is: a place to talk about random non-travel stuff.

So my put is that if a conversation is about travel and not specific to one of the established forums for programs, destinations or other specificity, then it belongs in TravelBuzz. Whether that conversation starts with a link to an article or a random question or assertion makes no difference, it belongs in TravelBuzz. But we have this weird 'Travel News' forum too. So if I am interested in random travel stuff not related to an established forum, I have to check TWO forums instead of just one.

That's not very flyer friendly!

Now, as to your specific concern, I am not a moderator. And I am not permitted to talk about moderators or tell them what to do.

But certainly I think one should be permitted to start a general travel conversation not related to an established forum with just a link to a news article. Happens in OMNI all the time. ^
Old May 28, 2015, 8:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was checking TN today so I created a thread there linking to this thread, perhaps more users of it will weigh in @:-)
Thank you. I've stickied it so it will get greater attention.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I perceive a real difference between the two fora, although it's hard to define and isn't obvious from the forum names and even descriptions. Still, there are very different flavors here.

To me, the typical TravelBuzz thread consists of an interesting conversation about often perennial travel related general topics, often starting with a quirky question soliciting opinions and experiences. Sometimes the answers have a community building effect in that people can get to know each other here, much like in good OMNI or some of the lounge threads.

OTOH, I perceive threads in TravelNews as being motivated by current events related to travel and aviation. I'm not sure I like the rule about discussion or at least a summary not being in the OP, versus just a thread title and a link, but I'm typically not eager to click on random links posted by people I don't know. To me, a good example of a current TravelNews thread that has generated discussion is the following:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/travel-ne...practices.html

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 28, 2015 at 9:20 am Reason: fix link
Old May 28, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nsx
So I take it you would NOT be happy with all those redirects appearing in Travel Buzz instead of in Travel News? Because that's where they will be if the Travel News function moves to Travel Buzz. Maybe it's better to keep what some people consider clutter confined to the smaller TN forum?
That is an incorrect assumption. I will then only have one forum to scroll through.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:50 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH, I perceive threads in TravelNews as being motivated by current events related to travel and aviation. I'm not sure I like the rule about discussion or at least a summary not being in the OP, versus just a thread title and a link, but I'm typically not eager to click on random links posted by people I don't know. To me, a good example of a current TravelNews thread that has generated discussion is the following:
But there is no reason both quirk and current events cant exist in the same place, as they do in Good Omni.

That link is a perfect example of a conversation that could take place in either TN or TB. Except on TB it would get a lot more eyeballs and likely more conversation.

Here's an example of a conversation in Travel Buzz that just happened to start with a news article and has grown into one heck of a TB conversation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html

That thread could just as easily and justifiably have been started in Travel News. But it likely would not have grown so much because so fewer people participate in TN than TB. That would have been a loss for all those who have participated in that conversation but would never have seen it in TN.

Which is why I keep saying that TN is a smaller, redundant TB and therefore a detriment rather than an asset to FlyerTalk.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Now, as to your specific concern, I am not a moderator. And I am not permitted to talk about moderators or tell them what to do.
In other words, you have no idea if the content allowed on Travel News will be allowed on Travel Buzz. Pretty clear to me Travel News should not be closed if you can't answer the questions I raised and have not discussed your proposal with the Travel Buzz moderators off-line.

Why can't the Talk Board members talk to the Travel Buzz moderators and get their take on this before a vote? Is there a rule that you're not allowed to talk to them? Are you going to be sanctioned for starting that discussion?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...OTOH, I perceive threads in TravelNews as being motivated by current events related to travel and aviation. I'm not sure I like the rule about discussion or at least a summary not being in the OP, versus just a thread title and a link,
I concur, but the previous round of discussion (link noted upstream) part of the result was the change to not needing to offer commentary on a story. I think that's a loss on what is, after all, a discussion forum, but.... Prior to that change, commentary was required. The potential danger in not having commentary requested for thread-opener links is that the forum could become, as it was several years ago, nothing more than a news clipping service -- which Google et al do a whole lot better.

but I'm typically not eager to click on random links posted by people I don't know. To me, a good example of a current TravelNews thread that has generated discussion is the following:
Indeed.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:57 am

I'm not sure I like the rule about discussion or at least a summary not being in the OP,
That's how Newsstand always was, dating back to when doc was the most prolific poster in that forum (and you have to admit he posted a wide range of material that covered all sorts of topics there - it was pretty much his home forum), and the days when I first started posting here. News items can generally stand on their own without commentary.

If news articles get moved to Travel Buzz, will there be a commentary requirement? I suspect the only ones that know the answer to that are the Travel Buzz moderators and it appears they have not been consulted about this proposal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.