Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dchristiva
In general, I agree with this. I'd like to think TB should be proactive, not reactive. I'm not saying we need to be cutting edge, but I see little harm in trying to get ahead of the curve in certain areas and creating forums and watching how they develop.
I agree...BUT...

That only works if we are also willing to close forums that fail to gain traction.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by kokonutz
That only works if we are also willing to close forums that fail to gain traction.
Yes, how willing is TB to close a failing forum?

The question remains unanswered: how much traction is enough traction?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

How about this:

I vote when I decide that I am satisfied in how I am going to vote based on the information available to me. It could be immediately; it could be just before the deadline.

Although I usually post how I voted and why publicly, if anyone has a question, just ask me.

I am not sure how I can increase transparency more than that...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I agree...BUT...

I have no problem with that, either.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pub24
And this may be the root of the problem. Why should the TB, who is here to represent the FT members, put more weight on the opinions of outsiders, rather than listening to the actual members?
The people I spoke to are Flyertalkers. One is a former manager of a Dollar/Thrifty branch and the other rents more cars than anyone I know. I might also add that this is just some of the research I did

Originally Posted by Pub24
How else would you define a motion being made and seconded less than a day after the public introduction of the idea and then at least two members voting shortly after the voting period opened?
Um, this issue first came up January 4th, the motion was made in late February.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
The people I spoke to are Flyertalkers. One is a former manager of a Dollar/Thrifty branch and the other rents more cars than anyone I know.
A former manager? How long since they've worked there? As far as renting more cars than anyone you know, that's not exactly a descriptive figure. If most of the people you know don't rent cars except perhaps once a year, then this mysterious person could rent cars three times a year and meet that criteria.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
A former manager? How long since they've worked there? As far as renting more cars than anyone you know, that's not exactly a descriptive figure. If most of the people you know don't rent cars except perhaps once a year, then this mysterious person could rent cars three times a year and meet that criteria.
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren't we? I guess it's too much to expect a "hey good for you for actually taking this seriously". As to your questions:

- The first person resigned I think two years ago, he's now a travel agent specializing in rental cars
- The second person rents hundreds of cars a year.

Your last sentence is borderline insulting, can't say I'm surprised though.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here aren't we? I guess it's too much to expect a "hey good for you for actually taking this seriously". As to your questions:

- The first person resigned I think two years ago, he's now a travel agent specializing in rental cars
- The second person rents hundreds of cars a year.

Your last sentence is borderline insulting, can't say I'm surprised though.
Your comment didn't indicate that you took it seriously--it indicated that you talked to a few people, but that can be asking a generic, "What are your thoughts?" over a beer. Giving their "qualifications" might indicate otherwise, but failure to do so can lead to others taking your comment in any number of ways. I'm just pointing out that without being specific, what others will think may not be what you want them to think.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Can we stop now, please? This simply isn't fruitful.

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Can we stop now, please? This simply isn't fruitful.

Bruce
Or take the discussion back to the private TB forum...this thread has shown the current TB deserves a few
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by livious
Or take the discussion back to the private TB forum...this thread has shown the current TB deserves a few
Actually, this is showing transparency (i.e., I can now see "true colo(u)rs") as well as providing entertainment. Free entertainment. Priceless entertainment!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Actually, this is showing transparency (i.e., I can now see "true colo(u)rs") as well as providing entertainment. Free entertainment. Priceless entertainment!
Yuck is what I say, but I guess we can make this into a true soap opera and (as Kokonutz stated earlier) open up the TB forum as read-only. Just give me an advance warning so that I can have popcorn at the ready
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by livious
Yuck is what I say, but I guess we can make this into a true soap opera and (as Kokonutz stated earlier) open up the TB forum as read-only. Just give me an advance warning so that I can have popcorn at the ready
I have no issues with opening the TB forum or merging it here. Based on my brief history on TB, I think folks would be disappointed in the "entertainment value".
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I have no issues with opening the TB forum or merging it here.
I do. For one thing all our personal identities are exposed there. Also, although I try to post discreetly in private as well as in public, I wouldn't want to have to re-read every single post I've made in private before they are picked apart by people hunting for something they can object to. That's of no value to anyone.

Any promise of privacy for posts needs to be honored. That's true even if the privacy is quite limited. For example, you may recall the outcry when Randy Petersen decided to open up OMNI to all posters. Members complained bitterly that their OMNI posts had been made with the understanding that search engines would never be able to see them. Those members were right. Some members went as far as deleting all their posts and quitting FlyerTalk. When Randy departed TalkBoard restored the limitation on access to OMNI.

We have been down that road before and it's the wrong direction.

What about a public forum only for future TalkBoard discussion? We could accomplish that simply by closing the private forum and using this one. That's not as bad an idea, but it carries unintended consequences. Some TalkBoard interactions use private messaging. That would increase, as would the likelihood that some TalkBoard members are left out of the interactions. Cliques would form. FYI I have not seen anything resembling cliques in my several years on TalkBoard, so I do fear that outcome.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
I do. For one thing all our personal identities are exposed there. Also, although I try to post discreetly in private as well as in public, I wouldn't want to have to re-read every single post I've made in private before they are picked apart by people hunting for something they can object to. That's of no value to anyone.

Any promise of privacy for posts needs to be honored. That's true even if the privacy is quite limited. For example, you may recall the outcry when Randy Petersen decided to open up OMNI to all posters. Members complained bitterly that their OMNI posts had been made with the understanding that search engines would never be able to see them. Those members were right. Some members went as far as deleting all their posts and quitting FlyerTalk. When Randy departed TalkBoard restored the limitation on access to OMNI.

We have been down that road before and it's the wrong direction.

What about a public forum only for future TalkBoard discussion? We could accomplish that simply by closing the private forum and using this one. That's not as bad an idea, but it carries unintended consequences. Some TalkBoard interactions use private messaging. That would increase, as would the likelihood that some TalkBoard members are left out of the interactions. Cliques would form. FYI I have not seen anything resembling cliques in my several years on TalkBoard, so I do fear that outcome.
As a former TalkBoard member whose identity and real name have been used in the private forum, I wholeheartedly echo all of the sentiments nsx expresses regarding respecting past privacy. As well, I think he captures the potential ramifications of such a move quite well. Although some discussion will be "made public" (and I challenge koko's assertion that there were "closets full of black helicopters--if he's going to make that claim, then he should, as much as possible given the privacy restrictions, back that claim up in public), some will be driven even "deeper underground" by PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.