Search

2013 Talkboard Election results

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10

And as I related to oz in the other thread he made his complaints on
The dictionary I use has a difference in meaning between "complaints" and "suggestions".

This is the TalkBoard Topics Forum .

A SUGGESTION was made to TB and a suggested Motion typed up -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...orites-11.html

Whether anyone from TB acts on it, is TB's issue. @:-)

The members can then comment on that action or otherwise, as they are fully entitled to do.

You tell us adopting it will cost you more in your Telco plan to have the miniscule 25 pixel images suggested adopted, and you are entitled to your interesting view, despite appearing to have little grasp of how small that image size really is, and confusing it with an avatar, which is huge in comparison.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
And I said we were going to consider it, we are also talking about it in our forum, I started a new thread there about the posts in this thread and that thread to discuss your suggestions specifically. You have gotten what you asked for and there's really no reason to insult me or to bump 6 month old threads to keep beating your drum.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I thought some of what was written below was a Wednesday Throwback to the old days here on Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Markie Forget about them being asleep LAST year - I only noticed today that Talkboard has not voted on a single motion for SIX MONTHS, and that is a sad indictment in my view too.

I made the proposed motion today, that I hope gets nominated and seconded and voted on -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22968643-post328.html

Whether it succeeds, is up to all the members of Talkboard, and I do not mind either way on the outcome, but for goodness sakes lets see SOME action in there, or frankly we really do not need a Talkboard. Carol can make the few routine calls a year that TB are now doing.

Lets see if some of the new members - who have not had a chance to vote on a SINGLE things for 6 months, can get a little pro-active here, and get something on the table for a vote.

All of them can nominate and second any motion.

I served a few years there, and recall it used to take up a lot of time of all elected members, but things did get done, and at least we voted on several motions a month.

Glen
Haven't seen you posting in a while Mate.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
This seems unfair to me. In FlyerTalk's early days, there was lots to do, and people like you did it. We all thank you for that.

Today, FlyerTalk is quite mature and established, and less needs to be done. Change for the sake of change is purposeless wheel-spinning that benefits no one.

We Talkboard members are all active here and paying attention to what's going on. The fact that we have not seen fit to recommend any changes for a while does not suggest dereliction of duty.

Bruce
I agree with Bruce. I was on the first Talk Board. Lots of things to do back then. These days, not so much.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's another dinosaur I have to take care of - BRT 15.

Dan
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
CMK10 - actually you will find I was typing as you made your post. My apologies for not reading your mind.

Anyway I was simply following up Markie's comment, that little seemed to have occurred last year, with the reality observation that NOTHING has occurred in the past 6 months. Not a single motion voted on by TB.

You were only voted on at Xmas, so presumably have participated in voting on no motions at all in your tenure?

Markie was on the elected TB too in the past as I recall, and this is simply a few older hands passing valid comment onto the new inductees. Nothing wrong with that.

"Total inaction is superb and safe policy" may well be the current TB motto, I do not know - but as a Flyertalk member I can express my comments on that apparent policy if I wish, in this "TalkBoard Topics" Forum.

This is the only thread I could see re the NEW Talkboard members so it indeed seemed MOST relevant to make the comments here, to update things.

Propose my motion why don't you - I am sure there will be a seconder, and vote against it (as you are free to do) as this huge 25 pixel icon --> <-- will chew up too much of your data bandwidth each month you assure us, but at least we will SEE a vote of some kind in 2014!

Glen
I have to say, this has shifted to one of the sleepiest TB terms that I have been aware of/a part of into on of the most contentious in 3 weeks flat!

It's finally FUN again! ^

Here's a post I made in the private TB forum last night after it became clear the title change proposal would not pass:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lol, now THIS is the sturm und drang that I associate with TalkBoard debates!

Welcome to the TALKBOARD, people!!!!! ^

Und here is my contribution to the storm and stress:

1) Per the TB Guidelines it is each of our responsibilities' to learn and understand the TB Guidelines and procedures. It's clear that some of us have not and do not. That's typically learned by experience but the fact is that we haven't had a lot of experience with our processes this term. Hopefully it has been a learning experience!

2) It takes a thick skin to be a TB member. Lots of folks got goaded around this proposal. Offended by the criticism around our lack of action this term so far. Goaded to make the motion. Goaded to vote. The way I see it, passion is good. People get pissed off because they CARE. Beats the hell out of apathy. Don't let it get to you. Take the passion and separate the arguments from the personality. Decide what's best for FlyerTalk and ignore the rest.

3) Some folks seemed to vote too quickly on this. Take your time! Most FlyerTalkers don't pay a lick of attention to what we are doing until there is a motion being voted on. That's when you get good input. Input that might just change your mind on a matter!!

JMHO and YMMV!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes good to see some action, with mid year upon us in a week or so!

I also proposed that TB consider a "Thread Of The Month" to be voted on by TalkBoard members after nominations by members in a dedicated thread here.

I gather this has already been floated in TB forum?

Voting can and should stay secret, as to who voted for what.

Members nominate whatever they care to, and TB votes on the nominations.

And monthly winners to be listed in post #1 of that thread.

Supremo Carol to be consulted to see if IB can rattle the petty cash tin to come up with a $100 Book Gift voucher, or something universal like that to winner each month.

Or Starwood or Hilton might spring for a free Hotel night voucher etc .. that should be pretty doable if the right person were asked.

We do this on a large board I run and it is very popular.

Hope that one also gets up.

Far more chance of that succeeding that the Titles one

Glen
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I also proposed that TB consider a "Thread Of The Month" to be voted on by TalkBoard members after nominations by members in a dedicated thread here.

Supremo Carol to be consulted to see if IB can rattle the petty cash tin to come up with a $100 Book Gift voucher, or something universal like that to winner each month.

Or Starwood or Hilton might spring for a free Hotel night voucher etc .. that should be pretty doable if the right person were asked.

Glen
I floated your thread of the month issue, I'll kindly phrase it as the response to it was less than enthusiastic. I don't think there's any chance of it succeeding and based on the response to my suggestion, I would not propose the motion nor would I second it and I certainly won't be voting for it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:13 am

Glen
Maybe you should start a thread in the public forum.

Here's what I said in the private forum when CMK10 brought it up:

I can see the merit, but TalkMail already meets the need.
The 'Hot Threads' section of TalkMail highlights, well, hot threads. But I am open to arguments!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the great reason Talkboard has 9 members, is that nine trains of thought exist.

Time will tell, but maybe the one motion for the year drained all the energy away.

I am sure it will be discussed again now the extra thoughts above on it have been added.

Hey it will give TB something DEFINITE to do every month if adopted, and that can't be a bad thing.

And no trying to work out what the consensus of 500 posts is either. Just 9 personal votes, using same rules as normal motions.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:17 am

Yes I know we have 9 members but not a single person who weighed in said anything positive about your motion. You're welcome to make the suggestion in the public forum and we can have more discussion but your prediction of:

Is optimistic at this point

Oh and I noticed your subtle jab, I guess you forgot there was a motion that passed today in addition to the one that failed? I know you like needling us but I thought simple math wasn't beyond you.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talkmail highlights random popular threads Carole or IB stumble across in their travels, and has ZERO member input to its content.

There needs to be no special merit or originaity in any of them of course. A thread discussing a new 50,000 point Citibank card signup, with thread starter reprinting the mass email to their data base offering it - wow what a novel idea!

"Thread Of The Month" votes and rewards something of special merit.

Anyway Talkboard does not seem to be interested in any innovation or new ideas, so back on with the eyeshades and earplugs, and lets keep that FT relevance dial set on 1998.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Glen
Maybe you should start a thread in the public forum.

Here's what I said in the private forum when CMK10 brought it up:

I can see the merit, but TalkMail already meets the need.
The 'Hot Threads' section of TalkMail highlights, well, hot threads. But I am open to arguments!
And I agree with the M. nutz for the reasons posted along with what I posted in the private forum

First question-who decides on "the winner"?

Second question-What constitutes a "candidate thread"?

Third question-Is this a TB function?

Fourth question-where and how does "the winning thread" get posted?

My take is no to this but if it was done, it should be done solely by IB (be it totally random or by some "uber scientific process" ) and not by TB and then simply added to TalkMail
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First question - who decides on "the winner"? Talkboard simple majority vote. No record of who voted posted here - just the result.

Second question - What constitutes a "candidate thread"? The threads that FT MEMBERS nominate here, in the new permanent thread headed Nominate here - your "Thread Of The Month"

Third question - Is this a TB function? Only if you choose to make it one - I cannot image Carole will object, indeed it gives Talkboard SOMETHING specific to do each month,

Fourth question-where and how does "the winning thread" get posted? In post #1 of the thread outlined in #2 above. Done by VP same as motion results are done.

All very simply and straightforward really.

-----------

See my post above.

Perhaps I have read your mind, as all your pressing questions are answered I think.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:56 am

First question - who decides on "the winner"? Talkboard simple majority vote. No record of who voted posted here - just the result.

Second question - What constitutes a "candidate thread"? The threads that FT MEMBERS nominate here, in the new permanent thread headed Nominate here - your "Thread Of The Month"

Third question - Is this a TB function? Only if you choose to make it one - I cannot image Carole will object, indeed it gives Talkboard SOMETHING specific to do each month,

Fourth question-where and how does "the winning thread" get posted? In post #1 of the thread outlined in #2 above. Done by VP same as motion results are done.

All very simply and straightforward really.

-----------

See my post above.

Perhaps I have read your mind, as all your pressing questions are answered I think.
srsly, oz, start a thread. I promise to participate!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

srsly, oz, start a thread. I promise to participate!
3am Friday here, and have spent an hour watching totally boring soccer World Cup game that has a zero score after an hour from either side. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe I will knock it into something to be considered as a thread. Sleep time now. Soccer does that to ya.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If any FTer wants to suggest something for TB or other FTers to provide input on something TB should consider, creating a new thread for said ideas is always better than burying them in a thread re: last year's election results

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.