Search

Create a Best Redemption Deals forum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Create a Best Redemption Deals forum?

Originally Posted by jackal
one thing we need to talk about is the "Cross-Program Discussion" aspect of the Information Desk. Although I have long argued that such discussion has not had a home on FlyerTalk (making it difficult to compare multiple airlines/programs, since you have to choose one airline forum to post the question in, which of course leads to, at best, uninformed or biased responses) and so I wouldn't necessarily want to see that go away, that part of the Information Desk seems to be the cause of some of the "noise" therein.
I have been thinking about a potential new forum for Best Redemption Deals. The idea of this forum would be to share questions, tips, and success stories regardless of which airlines and/or hotels are involved. One example would be Marriott Vacation Packages which include a hotel stay and get you almost all the way to a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass.

Best Redemption Deals would take some of the this discussion out of Information Desk. If the traffic level warrants, the new forum could later be split into coach travel and premium class travel, but I'd rather see how it works with everything mixed together. Sometimes we benefit from exposure to ideas we weren't initially looking for.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
I have been thinking about a potential new forum for Best Redemption Deals. The idea of this forum would be to share questions, tips, and success stories regardless of which airlines and/or hotels are involved. One example would be Marriott Vacation Packages which include a hotel stay and get you almost all the way to a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass.

Best Redemption Deals would take some of the this discussion out of Information Desk. If the traffic level warrants, the new forum could later be split into coach travel and premium class travel, but I'd rather see how it works with everything mixed together. Sometimes we benefit from exposure to ideas we weren't initially looking for.
I think that's a pretty narrow focus.

Besides, the truly very best redemption deals should be discussed in MilesBuzz--because that's the place to highlight the very best from around FlyerTalk.

A new cross-program forum should--especially to be successful and well-used--allow a lot more discussion, IMHO--not just on redemptions but also on earning as well as simply using the programs.

Just my initial thoughts on the matter--as a non-TalkBoardian these days, anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Why is the answer to every question a new forum? More is not the answer.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:36 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by tcook052
Funny, when the thread about closing the Info Desk forum was posted, I had the exact opposite thought. Why is everything that could use a little help (even a forum with a moderator that is willing to listen to suggestions) met with "close it/delete it"?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
I think that's a pretty narrow focus.

Besides, the truly very best redemption deals should be discussed in MilesBuzz--because that's the place to highlight the very best from around FlyerTalk.

A new cross-program forum should--especially to be successful and well-used--allow a lot more discussion, IMHO--not just on redemptions but also on earning as well as simply using the programs.

Just my initial thoughts on the matter--as a non-TalkBoardian these days, anyway.
I'm inclined to agree with jackal, and as my 2cents as outgoing TB Prez not sure a new cross-program forum would work in the long run. Is it that you're just trying to solve some things about ID that could be tweaked?

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Perhaps we could change Hotel Deals to Hotel Deals and Redemptions?

Though I would think a post about Marriott like the OP mentions is best left in the Marriott forum.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tcook052
I agree. As the best redemption deals already have appropriate places for presentation/discussion on FT, I am not sure why it is necessary to addi an additional FT forum into which threads or posts of this nature may be moved.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CMK10
Perhaps we could change Hotel Deals to Hotel Deals and Redemptions?

Though I would think a post about Marriott like the OP mentions is best left in the Marriott forum.
I would prefer to see something like this, too. This seems like a reasonable nuance, as opposed to what I think would be an unnecessary addition of a forum.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by nsx
I assume you mean miles/points redemptions? Are programs (airlines, hotels, etc.) similar enough to do so?

My initial reaction was many airline/hotel forums have their own threads on approaching redemptions, but perhaps I'm missing something?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
My initial reaction was many airline/hotel forums have their own threads on approaching redemptions, but perhaps I'm missing something?
No, I don't feel you are. There are existing forums for program specific redemption and InfoDesk was meant to allow cross-program accrual and redemption queries so don't see yet another forum needs to be added solely for awards.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how many people would be interested in the cross-comparison deals type of material to do the work to make something like this a useful and informative forum. It's almost the sort of stuff that would make sense for the development of a really authoritative website to make automated comparisons, but this would be a complex task and require thorough understanding of the rules and policies of all of the programs.

As I see it, most people participate in a small number of programs. They might make comparisons based on their own valuations of points and miles based on their personal usage and earning patterns [for example, should I use Hilton or Marriott points for my Paris hotel?], but most of us aren't eager to transfer into programs we rarely use as this means foregoing our elite benefits.

Similarly, I suspect that when people transfer from credit card points into hotel and airline programs, they mostly focus on the few programs in which they have status in order to obtain elite benefits. Alternatively they just look for the cheapest (and easiest option), again using transfer ratios and their personal valuations, generally trying to transfer during promo periods to maximize value within a small set of programs in which they participate regularly.

Maybe the situation is a bit different for relatively new participants who have recently gotten a bunch of credit card points through sign-up promos and churning. They're less likely to already hold status in any airline or hotel programs or to have strong preferences for some air carriers or hotel chains. However, these decisions could probably be monetized pretty easily.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm thinking that the best approach is a hopefully long-lived thread in the Information Desk forum. I'll work on that some time during the next month or so.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm thinking that the best approach is a hopefully long-lived thread in the Information Desk forum. I'll work on that some time during the next month or so.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
I believe that is the best solution and one which also at least partially simultaneously addresses this topic as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...esk-forum.html
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I believe that is the best solution and one which also at least partially simultaneously addresses this topic as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...esk-forum.html
Are you proposing to close the InfoDesk forum or to create a (possibly sticky) megathread there for cross comparison of redemption deals?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:39 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you proposing to close the InfoDesk forum or to create a (possibly sticky) megathread there for cross comparison of redemption deals?
I am not proposing to close the Information Desk forum...
Originally Posted by Canarsie
FlyerTalk can be rather intimidating to use — especially to new members.

I agree with you that members should not be “conditioned to become lazy” — my words — in terms of where to properly post topics on FlyerTalk. I easily know where to post what on FlyerTalk; and I surmise that you do as well...

...but the primary purpose of the Information Desk forum is to welcome new members who might otherwise be too intimidated to post a question elsewhere on FlyerTalk; and they need a place to — shall we say — “get their feet wet” and become more familiar with the structure of FlyerTalk. The Information Desk forum seems to be a great place to start — along with the helpful moderators and members who regularly participate in that forum, volunteering their free time to assist fellow members of FlyerTalk.

Anyone who can think of a better way than the current Information Desk forum to acclimate new members to FlyerTalk is certainly welcome to post their thoughts here.
...but rather to go with the idea proposed here by nsx as highlighted by me:
Originally Posted by nsx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.