Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed - Posts Count in All FT Forums

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I agree with the few prior posters who ask why count ANY posts at all? Other than perhaps the first 180 (or whatever it takes to get into CC) why are post counts even listed? Who cares? Do you award some kind of prizes for the most? Drop post counts entirely, then you will never have to deal (over and over and over) with this trivia any more.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
And those who refuse to learn from history are destined to repeat it - sadly, it's the OMNIites who suffer while those who supposedly represent our interests do.
You've been fond of saying that the moderators of forums should have input with how their forums are run.

So before I made this motion, I consulted Cholula on this topic. I'm not going to speak for him, but I'm comfortable with making this proposal.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:05 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I agree with the few prior posters who ask why count ANY posts at all? Other than perhaps the first 180 (or whatever it takes to get into CC) why are post counts even listed? Who cares? Do you award some kind of prizes for the most? Drop post counts entirely, then you will never have to deal (over and over and over) with this trivia any more.
Couldn't agree more. I just don't see the point in counting posts at all. I'd much rather be recognised for content and quality than how many "+1's" I can litter all over the site.

Surely there are bigger fish for the TB to fry than worrying about post counting...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I personally don't have an issue with all posts counting if you remove the titles earned as a result of hitting xx,000 posts.

It is a shame the motion didn't conjoin these two issues.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do see some usefulness in seeing both the length of time a poster has been a member, and the number of posts they have contributed to the community. Granted, the number doesn't tell us anything about the quality of their posts, but it does convey some information about how active they are in this community. I have no problem with removing the titles that are currently linked to post counts, since it seems like they may contribute more to the motivation for posting games.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Jenbel
OMG, back to all the hideous counting games filling up the front page of OMNI again. Why do you hate OMNI so much?
You know what? Why I am never post in OMNI/PR. Because it was too many personal attacks in OMNI/PR. I am not interested about the politics & religious.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
You Can't Teach a Sneetch

Chalk me up as one vote for "I don't care, but it seems strange to me that TB is spending energy on this issue."

If you haven't read Dr Suess's story, here is the wikipedia summary:
Sneetches are a group of vaguely avian yellow creatures who live on a beach. Some Sneetches have a green star on their bellies, and in the beginning of the story the absence of a star is the basis for discrimination. Sneetches who have stars on their bellies are part of the "in crowd," while Sneetches without stars are shunned and consequently mopey.

In the story, a character named Sylvester McMonkey McBean, calling himself a "fix-it-up chappie," appears, driving a cart of strange machines. He offers the Sneetches without stars a chance to have them by going through his Star-On machine, for three dollars. The treatment is instantly popular, but this upsets the original star-bellied Sneetches, as they are in danger of losing their method for discriminating between Sneetches. Then McBean tells them about his Star-Off machine, costing ten dollars. The Sneetches formerly with stars happily pay the money to have them removed in order to remain special.

However, McBean does not share the prejudices of the Sneetches, and allows the recently starred Sneetches through this machine as well. Ultimately this escalates, with the Sneetches running from one machine to the next,

"until neither the Plain nor the Star-Bellies knew
whether this one was that one... or that one was this one
or which one was what one... or what one was who."

This continues until the Sneetches are penniless and McBean departs a rich man, amused by their folly. Despite his assertion that "you can't teach a Sneetch," the Sneetches learn from this experience that neither plain-belly nor star-belly Sneetches are superior, and they are able to get along and become friends.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:00 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by eightblack
Couldn't agree more. I just don't see the point in counting posts at all. I'd much rather be recognised for content and quality than how many "+1's" I can litter all over the site.

Surely there are bigger fish for the TB to fry than worrying about post counting...
+1

Seriously... because there's no easy way to know how many of a member's posts are in Lounge, Contest, or even TB posts, currently post count means absolutely nothing tangible other than how much free time that person seems to have.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Chalk me up as one vote for "I don't care, but it seems strange to me that TB is spending energy on this issue."
That was my reaction when I saw the announcement as well. It boggles the mind that more than 5 people on FT even care about post counts. Even for Coupon Connection purposes, I get the idea behind it but honestly, a "bad actor" is still going to abuse CC whether he has instant access or has to wait a bit. I guess this will be an annual exercise along with whether the groundhog will see his shadow!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
That was my reaction when I saw the announcement as well. It boggles the mind that more than 5 people on FT even care about post counts. Even for Coupon Connection purposes, I get the idea behind it but honestly, a "bad actor" is still going to abuse CC whether he has instant access or has to wait a bit. I guess this will be an annual exercise along with whether the groundhog will see his shadow!
Trust me, more than 5 people care. Most people that are asking why we care seem to care on some level themselves.

Tell us what you'd like to see come from TB and we'll get right to discussing it. Me, I'm fulfilling some promises I made when I was debating others for the seat.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:53 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I care and thank the TB for ruminating on this topic. But what I'd care to see is to have post counts actually mean something significant, which is why I asked in an earlier post what post counts actually mean and if/why they're important to FT. This proposal seems to say that post counts are totally insignificant, and I guess I'm not sure if that's the right message to be sending if they're going to continue being placed on our posts.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lo2e
I care and thank the TB for ruminating on this topic. But what I'd care to see is to have post counts actually mean something significant, which is why I asked in an earlier post what post counts actually mean and if/why they're important to FT. This proposal seems to say that post counts are totally insignificant, and I guess I'm not sure if that's the right message to be sending if they're going to continue being placed on our posts.
From my perspective, post counts are only meaningful in broad terms:

Less than 200 posts? Ok, that tells me you are either a newbie or a lurker (depending on your join date).

200-10,000 posts? That tells me you are an average FlyerTalk user.

>10,000 posts? That tells me you are either an old-timer or you have too much time on your hands (or, in some cases, both!).

>25,000 posts? That tells me you pretty much have no life.

So, really, is there a major difference between having 3,000 posts and having 6,000 posts? Not to my mind.

That being the case, why do I care if you spend most of your time here in Lounges, OMNI or in hotel and airline program threads as it's such a vague indicator to start with.

That being the case, I see no reason to single out any forum here as being not worthy of being counted. Even we OMNI trolls are FlyerTalkers every bit as much as the Lounge Lizards and the Box People are! ^
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm all for counting posts in all forums, or not counting posts in any forums. To me, it's the inconsistency that annoys me. If counting games become a problem in OMNI, then perhaps TB can discuss creating an OMNI-games forum.

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Although I'm sure this will be an unpopular position, I voted against this.

Personally, I'd love to see non-mile/point related fora (such as this one even) not count towards post counts...that'll probably never happen.

I'd also like to see the "lounge threads" not count towards post counts...that'll probably never happen.

I wouldn't be as opposed to the post-count thing if we got rid of post-count based titles...but I don't really see that happening either...

Although most people, I believe, want posts in all fora to count, I've already voted against it on behalf of those that don't want them to count...

BTW - I'll be without regular internet access from now through the 17th - so I probably won't be able to read and reply to many responses on this thread...
So, even though you think most people want them to count, you're going to go against the wishes of the majority of your constituents and vote for the minority?
Originally Posted by RichMSN
You've been fond of saying that the moderators of forums should have input with how their forums are run.

So before I made this motion, I consulted Cholula on this topic. I'm not going to speak for him, but I'm comfortable with making this proposal.
I'd be interested in reading Cholula's thoughts on this motion.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again, how can you not get rid of one letter/word threads?
at least one person got ~20K posts that way, which is why they stopped counting, right?
there must be threads on that?

not to mention OMNI is not moderated for spam the way other forums are.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by dchristiva
FWIW, I hope TB votes against this motion. There's absolutely no reason to include OMNI posts in the count. If we're going to count posts (I think we should stop, by the way), make sure they relate to the core of FT - travel.

I understand that some folks will argue from a standpoint of consistency, but post counts should reflect the true mission of FT. It's bad enough that lounge threads count and that we're already playing by two sets of rules. Let's not make post counts even more meaningless.
Agree.

Originally Posted by as219
With all due respect, if this is what the newly elected TB members feel is so worthy of rediscussion, then TB has some real priority problems.
Unfair. I see current TB as very active and trying. Unfortuantely a few of their discussion threads have been closed.

Originally Posted by canolakid
no to post counts for OMNI; yes for CC
Agree. CC posts wont make much difference in any case.

With the current status, I support no post counts at all. Its just too meaningless. It would only have (some) meaning if we somehow had counted FT core value threads (and even then, there could be lots of nonsense posted).

Originally Posted by lo2e
Seriously... because there's no easy way to know how many of a member's posts are in Lounge, Contest, or even TB posts, currently post count means absolutely nothing tangible other than how much free time that person seems to have.
In any case I just dont care one way or another. I see evangelists, and when I search them I find nothing but nonsense. Post counts as of today are mostly completely meaningless, and far more so with this proposal.

But I just dont care. We just need to know not to put any value/respect into it. I wish I could have seen the same interest in something (more) important though, like creating an Air Berlin forum etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.