Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easyjet / Ryanair forums?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Here's where I see some potential. Ryanair is known for trying to fleece its passengers with fees. FTers could return the favor by pooling our knowledge of how to avoid being fleeced.

Such information would be highly airline-specific. Would there be enough to keep a forum alive? I doubt it.

How about someone start with a Wiki for each of these airlines, or at least for Ryanair? If the Wiki gains a loyal following, then a forum might not be far behind.
To be honest, there is not much variation between European LCCs on this. Their fee structures are pretty similar. There are of course variation of details (eg: the type of card you need to use nowadays to avoid Ryanair cc fees is different from the type of card you need to use with most other LCCs) but there is already discussion of that kind on the budget travel forum. More generally and outside FT, there is ample discussion of how to avoid fleecing by LCCs on UK consumer sites and forums such as mse.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NickB
To be honest, there is not much variation between European LCCs on this. Their fee structures are pretty similar. There are of course variation of details (eg: the type of card you need to use nowadays to avoid Ryanair cc fees is different from the type of card you need to use with most other LCCs) but there is already discussion of that kind on the budget travel forum. More generally and outside FT, there is ample discussion of how to avoid fleecing by LCCs on UK consumer sites and forums such as mse.
One way or another, FT needs to become the number one source for that information.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
One way or another, FT needs to become the number one source for that information.
uhh, why? This is debatable, so much so that it has in fact been debated many times on this forum. FT's strength, as a reference site, is on points and miles, not on travel in general. For instance, while there are hotel reviews on FT, nobody would seriously argue that FT is the #1 source for hotel reviews nor would it be a realistic objective for FT to become that. You have to know what your strengths are and FT's strengths are frequent flyer, stayer and renter programmes. While this should not preclude members from engaging in other travel-related discussions (as in the budget travel forum, for instance), I don't think that FT needs to aspire to become the #1 source for everything travel-related.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I don't think that FT needs to aspire to become the #1 source for everything travel-related.
Agreed...

However, I will say that one measurement that I do use when I look at forum needs, especially the non-miles/points fora, is whether that need is being served better on other sites. If not, then, depending on the forum topic, I may feel that FT would be a good place for it to find a home.

With this particular topic, I could potentially see a need in the future if an FFP existed for these carriers and if there wasn't a Budget Travel forum or Other European Frequent Flyer Programs forum - but there is. And, the traffic doesn't warrant a stand-alone forum at this time, IMHO. They've got to have an FFP at the very least, IMHO, to be considered for a forum.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
What about a stickied thread in the budget travel forum titled "Tips and strategies to avoid being fleeced by Ryanair, Easyjet and other European LCCs"? (ok, someone may come up with a better/shorter title).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
What about a stickied thread in the budget travel forum titled "Tips and strategies to avoid being fleeced by Ryanair, Easyjet and other European LCCs"? (ok, someone may come up with a better/shorter title).
That would be a matter for the forum mods rather than a TB issue.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Am I allowed to post here? If not delete me, if so, read on

FlyerTalk is not just about "miles and points" programs. The front page of FT says,

It's the hub that brings everyone together -- from leisure travelers to mileage junkies -- to converse about programs, get the latest program buzz or discuss how to maximize points or miles. You'll even get some good general travel information!
Furthermore, anything that helps prevents OT posts is a good thing.

When I went on my honeymoon last year, I flew DL TATL, and both EZY and BA within Europe.

I flew EZY CDG-CIA, then flew BA FCO-LGW. I was miffed a month later when I saw I earned something like 210 miles on the FCO-LGW flight. Considering my EZY experience and cheaper fare, I said, in the thread something to the effect of, "If that's the case, I may as well fly EZY and save a few bucks."

Of course (in hindsight), I was seen as a troll, and the thread took on a life of its own.

I've been known to cause trouble but I honestly would have chosen to post the story to an audience that would be more receptive to what I was saying if such a board were available.

Meaning, if there were an EZY board I could have been saved flamebait/troll accusations and mods would have been much happier
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Many Many posts on the current forums are not about FF programmes. Easyjet and Ryanair, are two of the biggest airlines in Europe, to cast them into the Budget Travel doesn't recognise that fact. And if you just go on do they have a FF programme, then where do you stand with Flybe.... They have a FF programme, so perhaps they should get a board!!!!

Cheers Larry.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by judolphin

Meaning, if there were an EZY board I could have been saved flamebait/troll accusations and mods would have been much happier
Did you describe your experience in Budget Travel? I am sure it would have been well-received there.

Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Many Many posts on the current forums are not about FF programmes. Easyjet and Ryanair, are two of the biggest airlines in Europe, to cast them into the Budget Travel doesn't recognise that fact. And if you just go on do they have a FF programme, then where do you stand with Flybe.... They have a FF programme, so perhaps they should get a board!!!!
I see very little demand for a Flybe forum. Bob's Pretty Good Crop Duster is about to get a frequent flyer/sprayer program. Perhaps we should give them a board too? And airlines with no FFP should not have their own forums, especially when they already are a perfect fit for Budget Travel.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:25 pm

I would never in a million years have thought of posting in Budget Travel. I would, however, thought of posting in an EZY forum. I will let it rest on that note
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by judolphin
I would never in a million years have thought of posting in Budget Travel. I would, however, thought of posting in an EZY forum. I will let it rest on that note
I guess those poor EZY posts will have to find their own way to Budget Travel, because that is exactly what EasyJet is. Perhaps they can hitch a ride on a RyanAir post.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I thought FR had a kind of frequent flyer programme through its affinity credit card? Or has that now stopped?

(it was a kind of pay for x flights on your credit card, get x flights free).
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:27 pm

OK, couldn't resist. A few points, all in respect:

1. Buying reasonably priced plane tickets in itself doesn't make someone a budget traveler. I flew EasyJet between cities in Europe, but stayed at higher-end Marriotts. Is that really "Budget Travel" because I choose not to overpay for plane tickets by 500%? RyanAir perhaps is "Budget Travel", but EZY is no more "budget" than WN, FL, B6, etc. It's a normal airline flown by normal frequent flyers all the time.

2. What about when ORY ground crew went on strike last year and EZY flights were moved to CDG? You would think flyertalk.com would have been a nice place for me and others to be able to discuss and share status of EZY travel during the 3rd party strike, but it wasn't. Let me say this again: as a lurker, I could not rely on a web site called flyertalk.com for news on a work stoppage affecting the #3 carrier in Europe. Sure, it also affected AF, and I could have gone to the AF board, except they're not talking about EZY-specific issues on there. In such situations, I can promise you won't have a chance to tell exasperated lurkers to go to "Budget Travel", as they'd most likely think it was a board for coupon codes, fare sales, Greyhound buses and which hostels in Bora Bora have hot water.

3. The best reason for excluding these huge airlines is the lack of a FF program. IMHO and with due respect, I don't think that's close to a good enough reason to exclude them. Again, just my opinion.

4. It would be useful to create separate RyanAir and EasyJet forums, and I think usefulness is the main reason to add them. Making FT more useful for 110,000,000 annual pax to discuss tips, news and issues on a board specifically reserved for their airline of choice on a web site that calls itself "FlyerTalk" is hard to argue against.

5. Let's be blunt: this same message board has a "Politics and Religion" forum. Including the #2 and #3 airlines in Europe sans mileage programs is much less of a stretch.

Thanks for letting me state my opinion.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by Spiff
I guess those poor EZY posts will have to find their own way to Budget Travel, because that is exactly what EasyJet is. Perhaps they can hitch a ride on a RyanAir post.
Do I detect a hint of snobbery in here, I always thought that was a British Trait!!!!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Do I detect a hint of snobbery in here, I always thought that was a British Trait!!!!
Maybe a little but that wasn't really the intention. My position really is that when it comes to Miles & Points, RyanAir, and EasyJet - there's not much to talk about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.