Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Easyjet / Ryanair forums?

Old Mar 19, 10, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.

Hi!

I see there is a section for Loyalty programs with all manner of airlines listed. Of course, the big European low cost carriers are absent from here because they don't operate any sort of loyalty program.

However, it seems to me that the airline forums are as much about discussion of the airline, it's operations, routes, destinations, special fares etc as they are about the loyalty programs. Easyjet and Ryanair fly over 100 million passengers per year there are at least as many tips and tricks to get the cheapest fares / avoid charges with them as there are with even the most arcane frequent flyer program.

I know there is a seperate "Budget Travel" forum but perhaps you could give consideration to restructuring the forums somewhat and creating a dedicated forum for the two European Low Cost Carriers to help the frequent but unwary fliers avoid the hidden costs and get the best fares..

Keep up the good work! ^
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:08 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
I fully agree, there should be a Ryanair/Easyjet forum in the main grouping.
Old Mar 20, 10, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I agree.

There are plenty of posts about Ryanair and easyJet in other forums. Some of the more knowledgeable - and some of the most inaccurate - are in the British Airways forum for example, out of place and often marked OT (off topic).

A separate easyJet/Ryanair forum - or even one for each - would be a logical move, concentrating knowledge and experience in one/two forum/s.
Old Mar 20, 10, 7:52 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

thanks for the input and i'm full aware of these two airlines, having flown both and visited both to discuss any possible FFP interest.

I like to support the best practices we have here on FlyerTalk and that is to get the member-elected TalkBoard involved in assisting and even making decisions for new forums such as you recommend here. So, I'm going to forward this thread to the TalkBoard forum for additional input from members and as well to attract the attention of the TalkBoard for consideration.

Very much appreciate the idea and thanks for your support of FlyerTalk.

Cheers,
Randy
Old Mar 20, 10, 8:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Budget Travel sounds like the right forum.
Old Mar 20, 10, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ryanair is one of Europe's biggest airlines. It's the 8th largest in the world after DL/NW, SWA, AA, UA, LH/LX/OS/BD, AF/KL and CZ.

EasyJet and Ryanair are both bigger than British Airways in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_largest_airlines

From http://www.ryanair.com/en/about :
Ryanair is the World's favourite airline with 41 bases and 1100+ low fare routes across 26 countries, connecting 153 destinations. Ryanair operates a fleet of 232 new Boeing 737-800 aircraft with firm orders for a further 82 new aircraft (before taking account of planned disposals), which will be delivered over the next 2.5 years. Ryanair currently has a team of more than 7,000 people and expects to carry approximately 73 million passengers in fiscal year 2010/11.
Ryanair are flying some BA services for BA during the current BA cabin crew dispute.
Old Mar 20, 10, 1:13 pm

AFAIK, neither Ryanair nor Easyjet have a FFP.

Therefore, I am not quite sure what point there would be for a forum about Frequent Flyer Miles dedicated to them.
Old Mar 20, 10, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, as pointed out in the first post.

Many (most?) forums in FT don't have a point/miles program yet are integral to FT. An easyJet and/or Ryanair forum could be just as useful to FTers.

It would be useful and logical to have the info currently spread across several forums all in one place.
Old Mar 20, 10, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Budget Travel sounds like the right forum.
Yes, I would agree that the Budget Travel is the appropriate forum. If the traffic increases, there may come a time when a separate forum is needed, just as the Accor A-Club forum was created from the Other Hotels forum. I don't feel we have reached that point just yet.
Old Mar 21, 10, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
It would be useful and logical to have the info currently spread across several forums all in one place.
Info is not really spread in fora that much. It is true that there are quite a few FR threads in the BA forum but the creation of an FR forum would not really change that because:
1) BA regulars will keep on posting FR posts in the BA forum as users of the BA forum have a tendency to post topics on whatever subject in that forum, even when there are more appropriate fora on FT;
2) most of the BA threads on FR are a variation of the theme of "aren't BA a great airline and FR the pits?" or "Isn't Michael O'Leary the devil incarnate?" variety are are there to comfort the smugness of BA regulars. As such they belong to the BA forum and would feel strange and rather out of place in a dedicated forum.

OTOH, there are the occasional threads in the OEFFP forum that these can be moved to budget travel when needed. It is not as if it is a daily, occurence is it?

I agree with Spiff and Jouy31 that budget travel is an adequate home for these. An additional argument for keeping these within a common budget travel forum is that there are quite a few threads which cover both Easyjet and Ryanair, which could not fit easily into a dedicated forum to either airline.
Old Mar 21, 10, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
AFAIK, neither Ryanair nor Easyjet have a FFP.

Therefore, I am not quite sure what point there would be for a forum about Frequent Flyer Miles dedicated to them.
Can you please explains to me more specific info for me? Do you want proposal to creating new forums? I am still aware of FR & Easyjet will be perfect opportunities to addition more new forums. It will be easy way to do it for our members. Let's the speculating about this one. It will be guaranteed can do it for our members to be approval.
Old Mar 21, 10, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There are plenty of posts about Ryanair and easyJet in other forums. Some of the more knowledgeable - and some of the most inaccurate - are in the British Airways forum for example, out of place and often marked OT (off topic).
Are the posts in the BA forum regarding Ryanair and easyJet moved to the Budget Travel forum, or are they allowed to stay there in the BA forum? {Moderation question removed by administrator}

Last edited by Moderator2; Mar 24, 10 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 21, 10, 4:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Threads posted on the BA forum relating to Ryanair are routinely permitted a short airing on BA before moving on to Budget Travel (proviso that the discussion is of value to budget travellers) or News Stand. Much of the discussion generated are responses to controversial press releases by Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary rather than the Ryanair travel experience per se.
Old Mar 21, 10, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
proviso that the discussion is of value to budget travellers
Which it rarely is.
Old Mar 21, 10, 10:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Here's where I see some potential. Ryanair is known for trying to fleece its passengers with fees. FTers could return the favor by pooling our knowledge of how to avoid being fleeced.

Such information would be highly airline-specific. Would there be enough to keep a forum alive? I doubt it.

How about someone start with a Wiki for each of these airlines, or at least for Ryanair? If the Wiki gains a loyal following, then a forum might not be far behind.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: