Wiki Posts
Search

Euro Upgrade Offer - What do you get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Euro Upgrade Offer - What do you get?

Hi all, I just booked my first ever flights on LX and I have been offered an upgrade to business so I'm trying to decide if I should take it.

Flights are DUS-ZRH, ZRH-BCN, BCN-ZRH, ZRH-DUS.
DUS-ZRH is operated by LH, ZRH-DUS is operated by Edelweiss.

I booked cheapest economy, in fare class L, for approx €150.

I have been offered an upgrade for €130, from what I can tell this is for all 4 flights?
This seems very cheap for 4 flights, but I'm trying to work out what the exact benefits are?

I already get lounge access due to having *Gold with TK, so no additional benefit there.

Fare class L doesn't appear to earn anything on TK. Am I correct that the upgraded fare will be P? I believe that will earn 1200 miles per sector with TK, although I'm not 100% sure if the Edelweiss flight will credit.
(Eurowings flights with LH have credited to TK, is Edelweiss like Eurowings?)
(Is P very poor for Miles & More? When I searched about Euro upgrades there were mostly negative threads about the new fare class)

I'm aware that you will get the middle seat blocked, but otherwise no difference in seating.

The website mentions improved catering on 'some' Euro flights, but I'm really in the dark here. Can anyone explain what catering would be served on these flights if upgraded?

I'm traveling with my GF, so I don't think I can justify upgrading if the only benefit is the miles...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
That's the Swiss Business upgrade Europe.
130 is for one-way. Either DUS-ZRH-BCN or BCN-ZRH-DUS.

If your DUS-ZRH is operated by LH, I suspect the offer you got was for the return portion (BCN-ZRH-DUS), as IIRC this was applicable to LX metal only.

It should book in P class.

Yes don't worry about the Edelweiss flight it will credit as if it was operated by Swiss itself.
Follow here the discussion on wet lease vs codeshare and the LX number range where it gets tricky.

Is it worth it? General opinion and consensus is not anymore but only you can tell if it's worth it for the specific trip and miles you can get credited to your FFP.

GBM
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Is it worth it? General opinion and consensus is not anymore but only you can tell if it's worth it for the specific trip and miles you can get credited to your FFP.

GBM
Thanks for the info, I agree only the individual can decide if its worth it? I'm still unclear what kind of catering service I can expect to receive on these flights, so it is making it hard to decide.

However I have looked more closely and I now see it is €130 each way, so considering it was borderline before, now the answer is most likely no!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:02 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Paying a business upgrade intra europe is completely useless since 1st of September, specially if you already have *G status.

You will be really disappointed after spending the money and leaving the plane. Save it for a nice dinner in BCN.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Remember that this upgrade has some strings attached: you will get all C advantages (baggage, check in, lounge), however, actual seating in C on the plane is on availability basis (depends on how many flexible C and Z pax), so not guaranteed.
In my experience, it worked most of the times.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: LX FTL
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
Remember that this upgrade has some strings attached: you will get all C advantages (baggage, check in, lounge), however, actual seating in C on the plane is on availability basis (depends on how many flexible C and Z pax), so not guaranteed.
This is not true, this upgrade is a confirmed booking in Business class as any other. Only the rules for changing and cancelling the ticket are the ones from the original Eco fare.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:53 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
I can only agree with Schnoe in his/her reply to the post above! Of course will a seat in the C cabin be guaranteed, if the OP books the upgrade.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not that there's much of a difference
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
As mentioned by DUS and Schnoe it is a confirmed upgrade and FlyinDutchman is definitely not correct here.

I agree with most posters that the P upsell is not worth it most of the time these days. It was a totally different story when P still earned the regular C miles but this has changed now. If someone is a *G anyway, it won't help you much and IMHO it makes only real sense if you have no status and the upsell will grant you lounge access and fast track at security. It really annoys me that the enhanced the additional miles away, because I made use of the P upsell from time to time.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:20 am

Business upgrade is simply a move to P booking class and will not ensure you a seat in C, just like when you book a P directly, simple as that:

LX website:

"Business Upgrade: The Business Saver and Business fare offers are upgrade offers that are based on an Economy fare. Rebookings or refunds are thus governed by the same terms and conditions as the underlying Economy fare. If the upgrade booking class is unavailable, any price difference between the underlying Economy fare and the upgrade offer cannot be refunded. These offers are not valid on codeshare flights. If a flight is missed due to a delayed connecting flight or if a flight is cancelled, SWISS can rebook the passenger in Business Class on the next SWISS flight if a seat is available. If the rebooking is on a flight operated by another airline, only onward transport in Economy Class is guaranteed, in which case the amount of the SWISS Business Upgrade would be refunded."

I recently got the business upgrade offer (directly after booking), and it's just as I said above, a way to move people into P. Same conditions apply as in booking P directly. No guaranteed seat in C.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:07 am

Booking class P is a confirmed business seat, both if you book directly and if you use the business upgrade.

The text you bolded above refers only to rebookings and refunds (where if you choose to rebook the flight then are bound by the economy ticket rules and if P is no longer available may lose your upgrade). If LX rebook your flight (due to cancellation) then you are still in business class.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Booking class P is a confirmed business seat, both if you book directly and if you use the business upgrade.

The text you bolded above refers only to rebookings and refunds (where if you choose to rebook the flight then are bound by the economy ticket rules and if P is no longer available may lose your upgrade). If LX rebook your flight (due to cancellation) then you are still in business class.
Exactly, I do confirm this too.
If you book Business Saver in "P", you will have a seat in C-class!!!!

As said before, business saver has become useless if you are looking for miles.
I booked LUX-ZRH-VIE-ZRH-LUX economy saver which comes in booking class "T" and gives 750 miles per leg too...

If you are not looking for the miles and just want to fly in C, have a snack onboard, C-lounge access, extra luggage allowance, the business bus on arrival at apron position in ZRH and if you think this is worth the upsell of 130 Euro per direction, then go ahead.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:03 am

When considering the difference in onboard catering, you now have to contrast the C offering (which I always thought was half-decent for the short flights in question - although admittedly not worth EUR 65.--) with the miserly mini-tub of ice cream Swiss are now trying to hand out (and finding it hard to find enough takers for!) in Eco.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Exactly, I do confirm this too.
If you book Business Saver in "P", you will have a seat in C-class!!!!
OK, then I always read the text wrong explains the 100% success rate I've always had

Thanks for the responses!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by TeflonMan
...with the miserly mini-tub of ice cream Swiss are now trying to hand out (and finding it hard to find enough takers for!) in Eco.
On flights classified as "ultra short flights" at LX (i.e. LUX-ZRH), only a drink in Eco - no ice cream...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.