Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Verbier, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Please check with property.
Print Wikipost

W Verbier, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:01 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think for the vast majority of SPG's guests, who don't generate unlimited amounts of points via manufactured spend for next to nothing, the realization is setting in that most Cat 6 and 7 hotels are simply overpriced on points (barring high demand periods). W Verbier, which commands rates well in excess of $500 during the ski season is actually one of the less atrocious deals (assuming you redeem at a pricy time).

For those wanting to sample the hotel, cheaper rates start April 28 (CHF250), and there have been various BRG opportunities in the past few weeks; in fact, I hold a reservation for $267 for January 2015.

Looking forward to reviews!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Visited the hotel area in the late afternoon on Dec 31st. Pictures are not great quality....iphone in the dark...

The hotel could not be in a better location, very central yet quiet. Right ski-in, and a 100m walk to the main gondola. It's also close to the center and most bars, restaurants and shops. There is a nice open-air apres-ski (W off-piste) which wasn't too busy....it probably needs to be discovered.

I did not go inside as it seemed to be a busy day, and we were staying at a friend's place for the night.

I'd be curious to try it out, but not at 30k points or CHF 800...grateful for a PM if any good BRG is found !

Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Wonderful Ski Retreat

I am a fan of W so my view may be skewed.

You need to overcome the sticker shock first. Verbier town is not a budget resort by any means. Moreover, W Verbier is probably the second poshest accommodation in town, right behind Richard Branson's chalet which can be rented when Bransons are not in town. Once you get over sticker shock, W Verbier is thoroughly enjoyable and worth every Franc.

The location cannot be beat. About 50m from main Medran gondola which is the center of town where most restaurants and shops are. The main landing slope is right at W off-piste bar which is across the street from W entrance. You can have apres-ski right on the slope, then walk back to your room across the street. No need for designated driver.

Rooms have Alpine themed hardwood wall and furniture with W party style decoration. The base level Wonderful rooms are not large as is generally the case in Verbier. Suites are much more spacious yet they only have a few suites and many are booked by paying guests. It is tough to score a Platinum suite upgrade during ski season although management tries to provide one if there is availability.

Breakfast is included for all paid stays with absurdly huge selection of buffet. Be careful, overeating may affect your skiing. In the evening, restaurant Arola serves fantastic European fusion food with some Valais specialties. Pricy but worth it for the food and atmosphere.

Super friendly, and English speaking, Ski Concierge can store all your ski/snowboard gears, plus arrange ski lessons and activities, parapente, tours etc. Note ski school are privately run in Switzerland. There are half a dozen ski schools in Verbier. Be sure to check around for pricing and classes offered.

The best part of W Verbier is service. Staff is young, enthusiastic and multilingual. They are eager to help and strangely many were able to recognize me by name after a few hours. The management actively roam public areas and engage guests to discuss and solicit feedback.

Complaints? There are a few minor ones. It is almost but not truly ski-in/ski-out as advertised. You need to carry your skis/board and walk about 50m to gondola. All rooms/suites have gas fireplace but none of them are functional. I heard that there is safety concern with current design and they need to be reworked for the next season. That's surprising for a newly constructed property. Room thermostat doesn't work either, perhaps it is only for air conditioning in the summer?

I was reluctant to leave W Verbier at the end of my stay and definitely wants to go back. I cannot recommend W Verbier highly enough.:-:
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

123 rooms and 15 residences is certainly not bad
interesting base rooms can be cheap, but not higher level
memberships - great for nonguests, terrible for guests >
http://assets.wverbier.com/lps/asset...bier-Hotel.pdf

Originally Posted by TerryK
Room thermostat doesn't work either, perhaps it is only for air conditioning in the summer?
needed heat (especially at night) when i was in verbier in july

W Verbier is probably the second poshest accommodation in town, right behind Richard Branson's chalet which can be rented when Bransons are not in town.
http://www.thelodge.virgin.com/ is available with SPG via VS
it takes reservations for rooms every summer and during some winter weeks
usually has 4th nt free during summer, and has had 4th nt free during winter
only 9 rooms and all-inclusive, i had a fantastic summer stay
i believe it is ski-in (not ski-out)
when staying in ~9 room hotel its nice to have backup like w or cordee

http://www.no14verbier.com/ is similar to lodge
13 rooms, takes room reservations during winter (not summer)

http://solmai56.com/ i think still takes room reservations
9 rooms, but no pool and traditional style
crosscountry-only ski-in/out

http://www.hotelcordee.com/ another new hotel with 34 rooms and 14 apts
not sure if w or cordee give pool access to spa guests
i seem to recall another new hotel, but not able to remember

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 30, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
.....http://www.thelodge.virgin.com/ is available with SPG via VS
it takes reservations for rooms every summer and during some winter weeks
usually has 4th nt free during summer, and has had 4th nt free during winter
only 9 rooms and all-inclusive, i had a fantastic summer stay
i believe it is ski-in (not ski-out)
(although its good to have backup when staying in 9 room hotel)....
It is only available in the summer for VS 350K/3 nights (117K/night) which makes W Verbier (30K/night) a screaming bargain. It is also further down the road than W.

Last edited by TerryK; Mar 30, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im surprised w is only $1070 over XMAS/NYE with 7 nt min, but that is still a reasonable award value for 28K. and suite is only $1522, so room is better award.

lodge 280K / 3 = 93K (incl SPG 25% bonus) and incl meals and alcohol

for winter you would have to wait until they take room reservations (like they are doing for this week, mar 30 to apr 6) and then ask, paying more than summer, possibly much more, as rates vary by date, whereas summer has no variation

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
...lodge 280K / 3 = 93K (you forgot SPG 25% bonus) and incl meals and alcohol
Good call about 25% bonus.:-: VS website shows it is only available in the summer, however. Do you know how to book for winter using VS points?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG
Has anyone been at the W Verbier recently?

Any news on whether the rooms' fireplaces will be working this season?

And, is this hotel really ski-in/ski-out, or is some walking required?

Last edited by FozBoy; Sep 18, 2014 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
W Verbier, Switzerland, opened Dec 2013

Not been to the hotel but just to update that the locals have finally gotten their act together and will be offering the 4 valleys ski area for the upcoming season and, so they say, the next 18 years.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FozBoy
....And, is this hotel really ski-in/ski-out, or is some walking required?
Please see post #33. The location of hotel has not changed.

.....It is almost but not truly ski-in/ski-out as advertised. You need to carry your skis/board and walk about 50m to gondola.....
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Any news or recent stays?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Any news or recent stays?
just finished my stay there a couple of days ago.

great stay overall. most staffs are nice and helpful. services are genrally good also.

plat can have breakfast at Arola restaurant in addition to 500 points. breakfast buffet is not like in SGS or other asian properties but more than enough for me. you can order anything from a la carte menu too.

applied SNA to secure a fabulous suite (1-bedroom suite) and was cleared 5 days in advance of arrival. very nice room with view of mountain. my little complains are that there is not enough electricity outlet on the working desk and bliss toiletries are small-normal size.

getting from zurich airport to the hotel was not too complicated, approximately 4 hours and 15 mins ride on train and cable car with multiple connections. (use sbb mobile app)

internet is free for everyone at this hotel, speed is fine.

fit/wet, jacuzzi pool, steam rooms, sauna rooms are great. didn't try the away spa though.

other notes, as expected, food and beverages price are high, especially for a 3rd world resident like me.

and finally, verbier is like a ghost town in this season, very very quiet, which i like it.

ps. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Sep 25, 2014 at 4:11 am Reason: correct typing
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

great stay overall. most staffs are nice and helpful. services is good also.

plat can have breakfast at Arola restaurant in addition to 500 points. breakfast buffet is not like in SGS or other asian properties but more than enough for me. you can order anything from a la carte menu too.

applied SNA to secure a fabulous suite (1-bedroom suite) and was cleared 5 days in advance of arrival. very nice room with view of mountain. my little complain is that there is not enough electricity outlet on the working desk. bliss toiletries are small-normal size.

getting from zurich airport to the hotel was not too complicated, approximately 4 hours and 15 mins ride on train and cable car with multiple connections. (use sbb mobile app)

fit/wet, jacuzzi pool, steam rooms, sauna rooms are great. didn't try the away spa though.

other notes, as expected, food and beverages price are high, especially a 3rd world resident like me.

and finally, verbier is like a ghost town in this season, very very quiet, which i like it.

hey, thanks for your post.

Do you have any idea whether the rooms' fireplaces were in operation this season, or were they just for show-off?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FozBoy
hey, thanks for your post.

Do you have any idea whether the rooms' fireplaces were in operation this season, or were they just for show-off?
In my suite, there is NO fireplace.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

great stay overall. most staffs are nice and helpful. services is good also.

applied SNA to secure a fabulous suite (1-bedroom suite) and was cleared 5 days in advance of arrival. very nice room with view of mountain. my little complain is that there is not enough electricity outlet on the working desk. bliss toiletries are small-normal size.

other notes, as expected, food and beverages price are high, especially a 3rd world resident like me.

Thanks! ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.