FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Verbier, Switzerland [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:59 pm
TerryK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Wonderful Ski Retreat

I am a fan of W so my view may be skewed.

You need to overcome the sticker shock first. Verbier town is not a budget resort by any means. Moreover, W Verbier is probably the second poshest accommodation in town, right behind Richard Branson's chalet which can be rented when Bransons are not in town. Once you get over sticker shock, W Verbier is thoroughly enjoyable and worth every Franc.

The location cannot be beat. About 50m from main Medran gondola which is the center of town where most restaurants and shops are. The main landing slope is right at W off-piste bar which is across the street from W entrance. You can have apres-ski right on the slope, then walk back to your room across the street. No need for designated driver.

Rooms have Alpine themed hardwood wall and furniture with W party style decoration. The base level Wonderful rooms are not large as is generally the case in Verbier. Suites are much more spacious yet they only have a few suites and many are booked by paying guests. It is tough to score a Platinum suite upgrade during ski season although management tries to provide one if there is availability.

Breakfast is included for all paid stays with absurdly huge selection of buffet. Be careful, overeating may affect your skiing. In the evening, restaurant Arola serves fantastic European fusion food with some Valais specialties. Pricy but worth it for the food and atmosphere.

Super friendly, and English speaking, Ski Concierge can store all your ski/snowboard gears, plus arrange ski lessons and activities, parapente, tours etc. Note ski school are privately run in Switzerland. There are half a dozen ski schools in Verbier. Be sure to check around for pricing and classes offered.

The best part of W Verbier is service. Staff is young, enthusiastic and multilingual. They are eager to help and strangely many were able to recognize me by name after a few hours. The management actively roam public areas and engage guests to discuss and solicit feedback.

Complaints? There are a few minor ones. It is almost but not truly ski-in/ski-out as advertised. You need to carry your skis/board and walk about 50m to gondola. All rooms/suites have gas fireplace but none of them are functional. I heard that there is safety concern with current design and they need to be reworked for the next season. That's surprising for a newly constructed property. Room thermostat doesn't work either, perhaps it is only for air conditioning in the summer?

I was reluctant to leave W Verbier at the end of my stay and definitely wants to go back. I cannot recommend W Verbier highly enough.:-: