Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Birthday Promo - 2nd night based on birth year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Birthday Promo - 2nd night based on birth year

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC E, PC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Isn't this type of promotion illegal in many places? I thought the courts found this to be age discrimination.
How can it be illegal?

It is a promotional offer, i.e. a discount, you can always pay the rack rate which is the listed price.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I think it is discrimination but one of those issues where everybody just looks the other way, as everyone does with senior rates out of respect to seniors. It is mostly fun, after all, in this case.
AARP and AAA rates are not discriminatory because they require memberships but a price based solely on age, as far as I know, is illegal in this country.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:22 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
They had a similar promo at Taj hotels in India a few years ago where the discount was based on your age for every night of your stay, for pensioners only - I think it was for something like celebrating independence.....but instead of paying your year of birth, the discount was your age. My father who was in his 70s received a 70-something per cent discount; his brother-in-law was aged 86, so 86% discount; my elderly aunt received a 92% discount. They all had a pleasant trip away together.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
This is a horrible promotion! Being born in 1986, it only saves me $20-ish dollars at most hotels I would consider
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
This is a horrible promotion! Being born in 1986, it only saves me $20-ish dollars at most hotels I would consider
time to go get grandma and grandpa to travel
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rdchen
Not for NY properties, just checked few of them, the 2nd & 3rd nights birth year rate is actually $100+last 2 digits of birth year: i.e. if you were born in 1948, you'll receive your 2nd and 3rd nights at $100 + your birth year.
Let me also add a warning that all of the "W" hotels that I have looked at also add $100 (US or Cdn) in front of that second or third night, as well!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
Westin Imagine

Just did the Birth Year promo with the parents in the Westin Imagine Orlando
$169 for first night then $44 for the next two nights for one room and $28 for the next two nights in the other room.
Very cool -
There was an option to upgrade to a 1 bed suite for $50 extra per night and $100 for a two bed suite.
So we took two 2 bed suites for 3 nights.
Very good value 3 day break
Great way to sleep 6 people over 4 rooms.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Tremendous rate hike!

I just tested this rate at the Sheraton Salt Lake City. Currently they have rates of 207 a night. When I put the promocode nbr in, it jumped the first night rate to 518 $, Absolutely crazy. Hopefully that is only a glitch in the system.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by nswat
I just tested this rate at the Sheraton Salt Lake City. Currently they have rates of 207 a night. When I put the promocode nbr in, it jumped the first night rate to 518 $, Absolutely crazy. Hopefully that is only a glitch in the system.
Hi nswat,

Any dates you are using?

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When you go in through the link provided, it uses Rate Plan PAYAGE. I've noticed that this can produce different results from using Promo Code NBR. For example, take the Sheraton Sonoma for 29-31 August. I got $149 with PAYAGE and $139 with NBR.

I also notice that the rate they quote does not take the birth year into account. Is that just an IT bug? For example, my rate shows $139 + $139 instead of $139 + $xx. The Rate Plan description does give the correct information. Can I assume it will all be correct when I check out?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
You will only get the discount on the birth year promo once you provide proof of age at check in. It worked fine for me
Enjoy the low rate

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When you go in through the link provided, it uses Rate Plan PAYAGE. I've noticed that this can produce different results from using Promo Code NBR. For example, take the Sheraton Sonoma for 29-31 August. I got $149 with PAYAGE and $139 with NBR.

I also notice that the rate they quote does not take the birth year into account. Is that just an IT bug? For example, my rate shows $139 + $139 instead of $139 + $xx. The Rate Plan description does give the correct information. Can I assume it will all be correct when I check out?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Isn't this type of promotion illegal in many places? I thought the courts found this to be age discrimination.
In this case, the older you are, the better it is cause those born in the 40's pay less than those born in the 70's. And age discrimination is USUALLY about older people getting the short end of the stick.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Next to some of the prior Stay 2 get 1 free promos (which we cashed in for rooms at the Westin Whistler) this is probably one of the best ever for me.

Stayed 3 nights at Westin Michigan Ave Chicago $169 + 63 + 63 and just booked 3 nights at Sheraton Boston $189 + 63 + 63.

Plus earned a free night through the Stay 2 promo. ^

As for the promo rates being jacked up I have actually found the opposite. For example at the Sheraton I was quoted a rate of $233 non-ref for the same nights and a convention rate of $275/nt
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:07 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Still earn right?

Hey guys, be easy on me as Starwood is my backup chain so don't know as much about it. Anyhow, just found this promo will save me $30 per night for 2 nights - great! But, will I still earn points and stay credit for this? In Priority Club land there are a number of promos rates that are great just don't qualify for points so you have to trade off.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EdV
will I still earn points and stay credit for this?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.