Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by tw1tch
I've had three separate stays at the Sheraton New York in the last 3 months. All Sunday-Friday stays, I've yet to receive a suite upgrade, I usually get a room on Club Level, that's about it.

Hoping my luck will change on my Thu-Sat points paid stay at the W (TS).
Were your rooms the refurbished ones or still the nasty ones?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eternalX
Were your rooms the refurbished ones or still the nasty ones?

I don't think it's refurbed, it doesn't look THAT new, especially the bathroom. I'm on the 50th floor this week.

Checking into the W TS tonight, they have suites available online right now, so I'm hoping I can upgraded to one. (I believe even point paid stays as Plat. the upgrade policy still applies?)
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
No more breakfast on weekends

I'm at the Sheraton NY now and have been here for a few days. The lounge is now closed for breakfast on weekends. I was told that this new policy started a couple of weeks ago. Too bad, because as others have mentioned it really is a great breakfast spread that they offer and the staff are excellent.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Thanks for the update on the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers, I am booked to stay in a week and may switch to the Westin TS as I believe they still have the weekend breakfast.

Have to agree the spread was nice at the Sheraton.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I'm at the Sheraton NY now and have been here for a few days. The lounge is now closed for breakfast on weekends. I was told that this new policy started a couple of weeks ago. Too bad, because as others have mentioned it really is a great breakfast spread that they offer and the staff are excellent.
So, with a closed lounge (which blows my mind since this hotel is so massive -- when I have been there on weekends, the lounge was always packed), do they offer breakfast coupons for the restaurant?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbtinme
So, with a closed lounge (which blows my mind since this hotel is so massive -- when I have been there on weekends, the lounge was always packed), do they offer breakfast coupons for the restaurant?
No. I specifically asked if they offered an alternative for breakfast and they said that breakfast is no longer a club level or Platinum benefit on weekends.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:00 pm

Thumbs down First upgrade at this hotel ever!

Originally Posted by sbtinme
It's currently a CAT 4 hotel @ 10K per night. (That's all about to change in a few weeks, but that's another story.)

As a Platinum SPG member, I was entitled to one award trip up to five nights between early 2007 and May 2007 at HALF normal award redemption rate. This is discussed ad nauseum here on FT -- you must be a Platinum member to be eligible.

Does that help/clarify?
Just stayed there on the weekend. They charged me 12K a night, which I thought was a lot of points for that property. Finally got an Plat upgrade after this being my 8th stay there. Room was very tired and need of an upgrade (19th Floor). Furniture was broken, tv and phone did not work properly and had to be serviced. Climate control units were quite disgusting.

Staff was very good at the hotel though. No complaints there.

Not one of the best Sheratons I have ever stayed at.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by ac/elite
No. I specifically asked if they offered an alternative for breakfast and they said that breakfast is no longer a club level or Platinum benefit on weekends.
OUCH! That's a significant step back for one of the planet's largest and most visible flagship Sheratons.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
This hotel is really going out of its way to attract SPG elite and Towers guests. It is intentional. It recognizes that we all have many options in NYC -- SPG and otherwise -- and wants to develop a reputation as the place to go...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
This hotel is really going out of its way to attract SPG elite and Towers guests. It is intentional. It recognizes that we all have many options in NYC -- SPG and otherwise -- and wants to develop a reputation as the place to go...
How so if they indeed have closed the club on weekends and have killed the long standing tradition of comp breakfast to Plats and club guests for the weekends?

I'm still reeling from reading that news. That is a HUGE step backwards and will most certainly affect where this SPG Plat guest chooses to stay in NYC in the weeks to come.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Thumbs down

I was so stunned by this news I had to call the hotel and find out for myself. According to the woman on the 44th floor, the reason they closed the lounge on the weekends was that many Plats had given them negative feedback about the Club Lounge being too crowded on the weekend and thus diminishing the experience. I pointed out to her that closing the Lounge does nothing to enhance that experience.

She also check with the Manager and there is no compensation for those of thus who made reservations for the weekend expecting the lounge to be open. Worse yet, I used my one-time 50% off to book this hotel on the weekend.

A very big boo to Starwood on this one. At the very least you could post on the website that the lounge is closed on the weekend - it is very, very misleading. BTW, Starwood, the lounge at the Hilton NY, which is ACROSS THE STREET, is open on the weekend.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:32 pm

As the OP of this growing thread, I must rescind some of my glowing review of this property based on the very recent decision to close the lounge two days a week with NO other consideration given to Plats in the process.

Having been galled this past summer at the Sheraton Le Centre Montreal's club lounge where I was asked to pay $8 +tip for two very tiny club sodas, I was pleased this past January to find that the Sheraton NY operated a great lounge with no nitpicky charges for anything but alcohol.

Indeed, the quality of their offering was so substantially above my expectations that I came away from that stay feeling especially good about my stay there.

In large part, the lounge staff and offerings were responsible for my review here on FT.

If those significant benefits have been taken away on the weekends, then I give a significant thumbs down to that decision. If for no other reason, because this is Sheraton's flagship hotel in a city where a legitimate club lounge would never close on weekends.

One wonders if the Sheraton Manhattan across the street is still offering breakfasts in the restaurant downstairs still as a Plat benefit.

Once again, for the record, a substantial to the Sheraton NYC for this recent change.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
"One wonders if the Sheraton Manhattan across the street is still offering breakfasts in the restaurant downstairs still as a Plat benefit."

I did check with the Sheraton Manhattan (now called "at Times Square") and they said yes, they do have breakfast for Plats on the weekend
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nologic
Ehh... I think most FTers agree that this hotel is their last choice in NYC...

I stayed there last November..

Upgrade = None. My room almost didn't fit the king bed.
Old & worn = Yes
Paper thin walls = HELL yes!
Construction going on all night on the north side of the hotel = Yes.
Rate= USD 465, the only SPG hotel that had availability.

I hope the upgraded rooms have new walls..

I'm not going back
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Just dumped the H&T

I was due to check-in on Friday at the Sheraton H&T, but given the Club change on weekends I cancelled and am now at the Westin TS. I have made other colleagues aware of the change and from my firm alone this will likely cost the hotel 70-80 nights this year that will go to the Westin TS. Unfortunately given the lack of rooms in NYC this change will probably have zero impact on their occupancy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.