Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, PDX, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, PDX, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Arrow aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, PDX, OR [Master Thread]

I am not familar with the Aloft brand of SPG hotels.. There will be one opening at PDX Sep 1. Does anyone know anything about Aloft... how the property is rated, things like that?

KarensuePDX
Old May 5, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The first few aloft hotels are opening as Cat 3. From the Aloft PDX Airport, you'll be able to walk to... well, IKEA, although it is a pretty quick train ride into downtown.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the heads up KarensuePDX-this will make a nice alternative to the less than lovely PDX Sheraton.
And the new"Nines"property in downtown Portland will be a fantastic addition to the lodging choices in one of my favorite cities.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
PDX Happiness

Just returned from my second stay at the Aloft directly outside the PDX airport. Located near the light rail stop for Cascade station, which is an upscale shopping area with many "Name" stores including the big ikea store.
Rooms are euro smart and the hotel has live music in the lobby bar most nights, nice pool and workout areas as well. Great showers.
You can walk to several quick food outlets and a sports bar. There are lite food items in the lobby too, for breakfast too. The hotel is a fresh breeze after having only the Sheraton at PDX.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thank you so much for the terrific update cwm143.
So Is it connected to the station/how far of a walk?
Ot has been known to rain in Portland on occassion
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Been there. I wasn't looking for MAX but it doesn't appear to be connected based on the trajectory of the rail line. Pick back rooms for steel on steel rail squeal, and front rooms for jet engine roar. Proper soundproof windows really need to be part of the build spec for true airport properties.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Max is close

The Max station is within a city block of the hotel, out the front door and right. My two stays were divided, one on the back side of the hotel and the other on the front. I did not notice the noise of the max trains or the noise of aircraft being really a problem in either room. Outside was another mater as the trains did grind a bit on the turn into the station next door.
Just to be clear at times I heard both in the room, but only if I had the TV off and was really listening for the sound of each. Nothing to keep me awake, nor the noise of the lobby live music, think disco, which was not not an issue either.
I beleive the rooms at the nearby Sheraton allow you to hear the departure of each flight more clearly!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I stayed here the night before the PDX marathon. The hotel wasn't quite complete yet, but booming. The rooms were great and they take dogs. Ernest liked the beds.

The only thing that bothered me was the outgassing of all the furniture and the carpet glue. All three of us woke up with major itchies and head aches.

The person on the desk was awesome. I needed some feminine hygiene products and she came to our room with a huge bag full. That was really nice.

Did not partake of the bar area or breakfast, but stay was very good. Would stay there if I had business to do in the greater PDX area.

lala
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Anything is better than the PDX Sheraton. That place is just a little strange and overdue for a makeover.

The Aloft property does the trick. It's a sister hotel to W but not nearly as high end. It's like the 4 points of W (like West Elm is the Old Navy of Pottery Barn). Anyhow, the hotel is clean and comfortable. I had no issues with noise. They have bikes you can borrow, although i don't know where you would bike to. The bartender was fantastic, loved her. Great drinks and bar snacks, nice atmosphere. Starbucks a block or so away. There is a little sushi place (Hot Pot n Sushi) across the street as well as a Red Robin. Not high end sushi, it's the sushi boat conveyer belt kind of spot.

I just wish they had made a few of the accents in the room "real". The big sticker of cork board was probably not that much less expensive than the real thing.

I will always choose this property over the sheraton PDX (where you are adjacent to the runway and can really hear the planes lining up at 6am). And the club level lounge at the sheraton was so paltry, I'd rather stay at Aloft and spend a few bucks for snacks and a glass of wine.

Beware! The Aloft at DFW (Colinas) is in a dry county.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium
Is there a airport shuttle from the aloft Pdx?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by animas20
I believe they share the shuttle with the Sheraton PDX, if you don't want to pay for the MAX (light rail).
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:11 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by animas20
There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport; however, it is "on demand", meaning that you have to call them from the courtesy phone in baggage claim to arrange to be picked up.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I'd say this review pretty much hits the nail on the head.
A perfectly acceptable place to stay, really comfortable bed for a cheap place. But I question the connection to the W brand. A big mistake in my book, the two brands are a universe apart.
The bar was cracking when I went thru on Friday night.

Originally Posted by ryno
Anything is better than the PDX Sheraton. That place is just a little strange and overdue for a makeover.

The Aloft property does the trick. It's a sister hotel to W but not nearly as high end. It's like the 4 points of W (like West Elm is the Old Navy of Pottery Barn). Anyhow, the hotel is clean and comfortable. I had no issues with noise. They have bikes you can borrow, although i don't know where you would bike to. The bartender was fantastic, loved her. Great drinks and bar snacks, nice atmosphere. Starbucks a block or so away. There is a little sushi place (Hot Pot n Sushi) across the street as well as a Red Robin. Not high end sushi, it's the sushi boat conveyer belt kind of spot.

I just wish they had made a few of the accents in the room "real". The big sticker of cork board was probably not that much less expensive than the real thing.

I will always choose this property over the sheraton PDX (where you are adjacent to the runway and can really hear the planes lining up at 6am). And the club level lounge at the sheraton was so paltry, I'd rather stay at Aloft and spend a few bucks for snacks and a glass of wine.

Beware! The Aloft at DFW (Colinas) is in a dry county.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have a stay coming up in 2 weeks at this hotel. Can't wait. I guess all my questions have been andwered in the above posts.

I did notice that for the 2 different weekends I booked the best available rate that allows cancellations was $89 a night while the pre-paid discount rate was $109. I'm glad i checked all the rates and didnt rely on orbitz.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was extremely impressed with Starwood luxry collection hotel in Downtown called The Nines . I expected to be equally impressed with my stay at the Aloft.

I was not very impressed with my stay. Although the hotel's looks were amazing and was able to catch a shuttle within 10 seconds of checking out. The walls are very thin and I had a hard time sleeping as i could hear activities in the rooms around me. You could hear the neighbors closing the window shades, flushing the toilet and having an every day conversation.

I will probably stay elsewhere when I have to be this close to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.