Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ready2Go
This property has once again begun offering double occupancy rooms for standard SPG Points redemption availability.

See Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only
Print Wikipost

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Wow, what a great report. This hotel is now on my Starwood "must stay" list.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

This is such a nice post, I'm going to let it stand on its own for a few days before merging it into the master thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

And knowing you've been on the Competitours Competition this past week, I can only imagine what a pleasure it was to arrive to such service and comfort.

/mod
Old Mar 21, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Yes- I am in Competitours and unfortunately for our team, the room we got at the hotel chosen, had no other rooms available. With the lift broken, we listened to people up and down the stairs all night, luggage thumping. THAT was outside our door, about 2 feet away. UNDER us was the lobby, filled with tourists (mostly college kids) and a tv blaring. Outside our window was the hotel steps (we were ONE floor above) where they all congregated and smoked (I'm allergic to cigarette smoke and asthmatic). ABOVE us was a party! The manger was very kind and tried to get them quiet but it wasn't to be. So we'd drift off for 10 minutes if we were lucky and then we'd hear ka-boom! People w/luggage going up/down stairs. Then we'd hear the lobby, the people outside and the party upstairs. My partner and I were just in shock. It wasn't the hotel, it was the room. I offered to pay for another, but again, no extra rooms.

This has NO bearing on competitours! It could happen (and did) to anyone. So I was glad to have points and SO thrilled to find Pulitzer! We still did our challenge that day on zero hours sleep and then got some rest at the new hotel.

I'm in Paris right now and don't want to disparage the competition in any way. We were just unlucky with our room assignment. And we hadn't slept the night before, so you can imagine the way we felt. Not in shape to compete, that's for sure!!

Today was our free day and I found Le Meridien near Arch Triumph, and am impressed with that, as well. I stayed in the newly remodeled executive room and then switched to the older section for a suite tonight. I had a great free day and again, good sleep, which is important as I have RSD, a disease affecting the nerves in my legs and foot and nervous system. Too many nights w/o sleep and I can barely walk. But we leave in a few hours. I can sleep a few hours here and a few on the plane. So far I have a wake-up call at 430am and it's already past midnight!

The hotel rooms have all been fine, just not all quiet. I'm a light sleeper anyway so when the earplugs I brought that I use in NYC didn't help, I knew we had to get sleep to get back in the game. And thank the kind lady at Pulitzer for that! I still can't believe we stayed there on points a a tiny bit cash and got all we got.

And yes, we got the waffle cookies! I get those in Europe and love them but never see them in stores.

It was a great stay and a nice discovery! I can't believe it's all over!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
...I will always remember the wonderful Hotel Pulitzer and recommend it to anyone who asks. What a gem Starwood has!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Pulitzer. It sounds like it was much better than ours over New Years. Of course, you moved there from what sounds like a terrible hotel, and we had just spent five wonderful nights at the W Istanbul. I guess it's all relative, but our stay at the Pulitzer did nothing to make us want to go back. (The stroopwaffels are delicious, but we always bring back packages from Albert Heijn when we visit Amsterdam. )
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:31 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Way back in the master thread is our detailed trip report from our stay at the Pulitzer.

We can't wait to return there again soon.

Our close friends will be visiting there in September.

For those who missed it I'm reposting my report:

This is a trip report on our recent 6 night stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam. After reading so many mixed reports here on Flyer Talk I have to admit that we were pretty nervous. Six nights is a long time to get stuck in a sub-par hotel room. So we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

To our relief and delight the Hotel Pulitzer turned out to be one of our best Starwood experiences.

Check-in/Arrival:

We arrived around 3 in the afternoon, exhausted after our long plane ride. Check in was smooth and easy and we were pleasantly surprised when the agent told us that breakfast was included in our (award) rate. She acknowledged our plat status and gave us a choice of amenities. We chose the 500 points. After giving us our keys she explained that a bellman would direct us to our room, because the hotel layout can be confusing. Although our room number was 475, she explained that our room was on the 6th floor.

After reading stories about maze-like passageways, we were surprised that the route was straightforward. We walked through the lobby to a hallway that took us past the bar to Lift B. (The rooms on the other side of the hotel may be harder to get to)

Room:

When we booked back in May 2006 we used extra points for a suite. We had heard that the rooms can vary dramatically at the Pulitzer and we wanted to make sure we’d have a nice one. We were expecting a room similar in size to suites we’ve stayed in at the Danieli, the Prince de Galles, Imperial etc. but to our surprise our room was huge—more like an apartment than a typical hotel room.

When we entered there was a long hallway leading to a large living room. Off the hallway was a door leading to the master bedroom, and an area with a bureau of drawers, 2 side consoles and a stairway leading up to a second bedroom.

The living room was fantastic- it had huge windows overlooking the Keizersgracht (the Emperor’s Canal) and was divided into several comfortable sections. There was a sitting area with a loveseat facing the TV, a desk area, a reading corner with a reading chair and ottoman, a dining table with 4 chairs in front of a little kitchen nook with a fridge and stove burners.

The downstairs bedroom had a real king size bed (not 2 twins pushed together) a swivel cheval mirror, and a sitting chair.

The upstairs bedroom, which we didn’t need (except for hair drying) was up a narrow set of stairs which I wouldn’t want to navigate in the middle of the night half asleep or after a drink or two (but I am admittedly klutzy). Otherwise, it was a charming room with exposed wooden beam ceilings.

For some strange reason, the hair dryer was not in the bathroom, but was attached to the inside of the desk in the upstairs bedroom. It was very odd to hike up the stairs after my shower each morning to sit at the desk to dry my hair. This would be so easy to fix—I hope they consider it.

In fact, the bathroom in our room was the only downside—it was small and narrow—but the shower had decent pressure and aside from its small size, it was comparable to other bathrooms in older hotels in Europe.

Though not luxurious, our room turned out to be one of the most comfortable rooms we’ve stayed at in Europe. We’ve always considered renting a flat instead of a hotel on one of our visits and that’s exactly what it felt like. The living room was especially cozy—I could have spent hours looking out the windows at the stunning views of the Keizersgracht—fascinating during the day and magical at night, when the city and bridges are illuminated.

Dining:

We had already made reservations at restaurants we wanted to try in Amsterdam, so we never ate dinner at the Pulitzer, but each morning we had a wonderful breakfast in the downstairs dining room. It’s a lovely space, with art work on the walls and tables by windows that overlook quiet sidestreets. It was a very relaxing atmosphere with a first class buffet. There was fresh squeezed orange juice, cereals, breads, yogurt, fresh fruit plus smoked salmon, cold meats and cheeses. There were also hot choices—pannekoeken, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. An efficient waiter brought a pot of coffee, which he always left on the table (something I’ve always appreciated). On weekdays the restaurant serves breakfast until 11 am and on weekends until 2 pm—a nice convenience.

Common Areas:

Again these were a pleasant surprise. A previous poster had described dark, winding hallways. I wondered if we even stayed at the same hotel. Our walk from the lobby to our room took us through a sunny, glass walkway that overlooks charming courtyard gardens, filled with sculptures and flowerbeds. On the walls in the hallways were contemporary Dutch art and at intervals there were comfortable sitting areas.

There was also an area with a computer for guests’ use.

Staff:

We were extremely pleased with the service at the Pulitzer. On our first night, as at many Starwoods in Europe, management delivered a bottle of wine and a welcome note to our room. It was a delicious malbec and we appreciated it. The next day there was a knock on the door and 2 housekeepers were standing there with 3 beautiful vases of flowers. It was a nice touch and something that made us feel at home.

Each night turn-down came with chocolate and stroopwafels. There were also 2 complimentary bottles of water each day.

As an added bonus, the Pulitzer has its own boat—a gorgeous restored 100 year old teak beauty with brass fittings and Tiffany lamps. Taking a tour with the knowledgeable and entertaining Captain Jan was a nice intro to the city (although they should not try to squeeze so many people on the boat at the same time—there were 10 of us and it was way too cramped. 6 would have been perfect)

We had a good feeling about the location even before our arrival. A local Amsterdammer sent us an email before our visit and this is what he said: “The Pulitzer is an excellent choice by the way, located in the nicest part of Amsterdam” He was right! During our visit we probably walked over 6 miles a day—exploring every part of the city and the Jordaan was by far our favorite spot—beautiful narrow tree-lined streets and canals, interesting shops and galleries, fascinating architecture, inviting cafes and pubs. We fell in love with it. It’s a perfect place to spend a relaxing day wandering into shops and stopping for breaks at bruin cafés.

Amsterdam is a walking city. The hotel is just a few blocks from the Anne Frank house and very close to Dam Square, but it was a pleasant walk to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum and restaurants we enjoyed, like the Indonesian restaurant Tempo Doloe.

(Tip—since you’re so close it’s best to visit the Anne Frank house after 6 PM when the crowds are gone—during the day they’re lined around the block)

The Jordaan is a very safe area--- even at midnight we felt comfortable walking around and there’s always lots of people on the street (policemen too, though they’re tough to spot on their bicycles). The city is amazing at night-- there are strings of lights on all the bridges and the quiet houseboats come to life.

Here are a few other places in the Jordaan that we recommend:

Though there were others we wanted to try we only dined 3 times in the Jordaan district.

Our favorite was restaurant de Luwte, on Leliegracht 28 (just a few blocks from the Pulitzer) The food was excellent and very reasonable. I thought my sole was superior to the fish dinner I had at Visaandeschelde on the Scheldeplein, which many consider the best seafood restaurant in Amsterdam. My husband had a great duck confit.

We also had a nice lunch sitting by the canal at Cafe 't Smalle. Egelantiersgracht 12 (on the corner of the Prinsengracht) which is really a pub, but had good sandwiches and beer.

A little further north was a fun place to sit and have a beer—Papeneiland, a wonderful brown café in a great location overlooking the Prinsengracht. Captain Jan explained that they used to have a tunnel that led to a secret Catholic Church across the canal (the name translates to “Pope’s Island”)

We found the most delicious chocolate covered nuts at Simon Levelt at Prinsengracht 180 and a great deli with fabulous Dutch cheeses called Loekie at Utrechtsestraat and Prinsengracht 705.

And if you want to buy a good bottle of wine or if you want to bring home some local Jenever—there’s a great wine shop at Nieuwe Leliestraat 4 called Wijnwinkel Quinta. The proprietor is super nice and helpful.

And one of the prettiest courtyards in the Jordaan (in a building with gorgeous architecture) is just a quick walk away at Herengracht 168 at the Museum Theater where you can sit in the café garden sipping wine under a towering magnolia tree looking out over the spire of the Westerkerk.

Bottom Line:
We loved the Pulitzer and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Another ^ from me for the Pulitzer. But since the master thread is already provided here, I won't repeat. I look forward to our next visit again.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
This is a fantastic property that seems to get BETTER every year. ^
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
One of my five favorite hotels, world-wide.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
Wow, what a great report. This hotel is now on my Starwood "must stay" list.
Ditto!

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Yes, needless to say, it was my favorite part of the European trip. But I don't get what people mean by dark and long hallways. Okay, with 6 houses making up the hotel, there are long hallways, but they're well-lit and very cool, IMO. We went up a few stairs, down a few stairs, down the hall, up a few, etc. It had character, and the bellman brought the luggage so we didn't worry about it.

I've never considered going back to Amsterdam but now my hubby and I are talking about a trip this Spring or Summer to Ireland and Scotland, and I'm trying to convince him he'd love Amsterdam, especially the Pulitzer. We were not in the city long enough to see a lot and because of this hotel's concierge, there are so many more places to see. I can't wait to get back!

Rarely do I find a gem like this- I have to go back! I just got home an hour ago and already I am trying to talk the hubby into it. Now, I need to find places in Ireland and Scotland that would dazzle me as well!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Thanks for the glowing review, thailajen!! DH and I are staying there for 3 nights in June. We were already looking forward to it, as we stayed at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg last December and absolutely loved it, and I have this feeling that the Pulitzer is going to give us a similar feeling as that hotel did (they are both part of the Luxury Collection, comprised of several buildings put together, multi-leveled where you have to walk up a lot of stairs, etc). Now I'm even more excited after reading your review!!

ps - I LOVE the way those luxury collection toiletries smell, and took a bunch home last time!!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Sounds like I had the same room as the OP in 2003 - king bed w/loft that had 2 twins. Do you remember the room number?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Sounds like I had the same room as the OP in 2003 - king bed w/loft that had 2 twins. Do you remember the room number?

I'd like to know too. Maybe I can ask for it by number for my 1-night stay in July? I won't be using the hair dryer so that part doesn't bother me...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:19 pm

I don't remember the room number, though I can ask my roommate the next time we talk. As far as the hairdryer goes, we had no problems at all. In fact the whole stay was wonderful from start to finish. My hubby and I are in the talking stages of a return to Europe for our anniversary, and I almost want to just add Amsterdam in so we can go to Hotel Pulitzer, LOL!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
I've stayed in this hotel 4 times as a plat and have never been as fortunate as the OP or other posters in this thread. No "bad" stays, but nothing special either: small rooms, small bathrooms, indifferent service (not bad, just indifferent). I keep hoping that the next time I stay will be different, because I enjoy small quirky hotels (the Goldener Hirsch was outstanding) but so far haven't seen performances from the Pulitzer to match others in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.