Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Just spent a night at the Sheraton Boston. Was upgraded to a one bedroom, 1.5 bath club floor suite overlooking the river (Charles?) and Cambridge... very nice view (same as from the club lounge). The decor (quoted as "Ralph Lauren" as per their confirmation) was not the most modern, but the space was quite large.

The outside room had a dining table, desk, and sofa/chair. Two tube TV's total and strangely, no minibar/fridge of any sort to be found. The main thing I noticed was that the main bathroom was TINY. I could reach from one side to the other lengthwise, and the width gave about a foot to spare (I'm under 6 feet). I wonder who designed this setup...

I do agree with some previous posters that the general feeling is that they do seem to try hard here... got a personalized note from one of the front office staff who I spoke to beforehand (asking about occupancy during the night in question because of high rates for the holiday weekend) and a fruit plate in the room. However, one of the people I spoke to at guest services to ask a quick question was rather surly.

The club lounge seems pretty standard to me, two hot plates of nearly identical puff pastries (both had some indescribable mushroomy sort of filling, although one had more dough and was a different shape), veggies, cheese, and drinks in the evening (charge for served alcoholic drinks). Breakfast was fruit, cereal, bagels/bread.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Recently went back to this hotel after a pretty good stay the first time. The lounge attendants are very nice, they kept asking us if we wanted anything and even brought us extra sodas and water to take along. This time, they gave us a corner suite not on the club floor. Same observations about the decor and furniture this time (old and not so appealing) and the bedding was pretty lumpy. Old style TV's also (I thought I saw that they were advertising new ones?).

However, we had a really bad experience at the bar downstairs. It was during one of the world series games, but I figured I'd ask to see if they were going to show the USC football game on a whim. I asked someone at the bar, and the manager was there and said oh yeah, the USC game, I'm going to put it on that TV there (he pointed to a TV in the lounge area between the bar and lobby). So, my father and I sit down there and watch the game. Aside from the generally indifferent and sometimes rude service, we were fine where we were. That is, until another group of people sat down in an area away from us. Apparently, they told the server that they wanted to watch the baseball game also (which was showing on every other TV in the whole place, with plenty of empty seats around). She came over, stood in front of us and told someone to change the channel on the TV. We said, hey, we've been here watching this game and she replied what goes on this TV goes on the other TV, and they want to watch the baseball game. I told her we have been sitting here (which she knows, she was our server too) and the manager put the game on this tv and told us to go here. After going and telling the other group while pointing at us and making gestures, she comes back and says "well I don't give a sh*t I don't care about what goes on the TV, I don't watch any of this sh*t, but they want to watch baseball and what goes on this TV goes on that TV." I said well, your manager put this game on here, and we've been watching it so sorry. Apparently she complained about us to the other group because they started yelling at us why are you watching this game, to which I replied, I went to USC, so I'd like to watch this game. At various other points our server could be seen talking to other servers and the other group, gesturing at us all the while. I told the manager on duty at the FD about this, and she called over the bar manager, who apologized and at least seemed sympathetic (and stated that he would talk to the employee)... no offer of any points for the debacle or anything, wasn't really expecting much, but it's just really frustrating and annoying that these people in the service industry act this way. I know they probably aren't too happy working there late, but this sort of behavior is pretty outlandish...

Oh well, sorry for the rant. Hopefully people will have better experiences here, as I said the last time I stayed here, some of the staff do really try to make the hotel welcoming regardless of its size...
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:07 pm

Trip Report

Stay Report at the Sheraton Boston (Two Separate Stays)

Went to Boston for a weekend (Thur/Fri) then (Sun) and stayed at the Sheraton Boston.

Arrived Logan and took a shuttle to the property near the Prudential Center for $16. The ride took about 25 minutes in light traffic.

Check-In

Check-In #1 THURSDAY
Told I was upgraded to a club level floor junior suite with a king but my original reservation requested two doubles. After looking for another room, the rep found a junior suite on 20th with two doubles (and was told due to hotel configurations, all doubles are facing the South Tower, as in, no views). That was fine. Inquired about club lounge. No one seemed to know what is happening with the club lounge hours on the weekend as it was just renovated and reopened. Was told that I will have breakfast vouchers delivered to the room for Saturday as well as appetizer coupons for the bar. Friday morning called for the vouchers, still the run-around although I got some app vouchers. Friday night called for the vouchers, still the run-around. Come Saturday morning, I was fully annoyed . Called downstairs and asked for a duty manager. The manager came on line and apologized and delivered a couple breakfast coupons ^^^.

Amenity was offered at check-in, Points, Movie, or Drinks/Popcorn.

Check-In#2 SUNDAY
Came back to the hotel for one more night before heading home. Told I will be on a Club Level Corner King Junior Suite. Provided breakfast vouchers and appetizer coupons on the spot.

Amenity was offered at check-in, same as before.

Accommodations

Room#1 Two Doubles Junior Suite (Non-Club Level)
This room is the size of two standard rooms (from the looks of the hotel map). Entrance has a small alcove with a closet and a place to sit to put on shoes. The living room area has a large pull-out couch, single sofa, workdesk, and 42" flat screen. The room, separated by a sliding peek-a-boo door has two doubles, a night stand, and a 32" flat screen mounted on the
wall. The view of this room is towards the South Tower and of the pool area. The bathroom was VERY small. Had to walk in a little past the toilet to get the door to close. And this is maybe just me, but, the toilet style are the ones from a public restroom with a metal lever on the back of the toilet. The shower head was a wide rain shower attachment. Weird.

Room#2 Club Level King Junior Suite
This room was all the way at the end of the hall. Same entrance with a small alcove with a closet and a place to site to put on shoes. This junior suite has the bedroom area and living area combined one room but with two sides of windows, fully view of the Charles River, I very much enjoyed not having a separate living area. This room had a king size bed, one 42" flat screen, large pull-out sofa, single sofa, work desk, and ONE FANTASTIC VIEW. The bathroom in this room is much bigger than the other room.

Club Lounge
Apparently after renovations, the club lounge is only open from Monday afternoon to Friday morning. I had the chance to enjoy breakfast at this lounge on the 29th floor with a spectacular view overlooking the river. Standard continental fare was presented for breakfast (pastries, yogurt, bread, 4 types of fruit, juices, coffee, tea, etc.) The lounge has a couple computer stations for guest use.

Restaurant
The Apropros was were we had breakfast when the lounge was closed. It was a Standard Breakfast Buffet (value: $20pp) with everything available in the lounge and hot items such as oatmeal, eggs, breakfast meats, and potatoes.

The SideBar on the lobby floor was a standard hotel bar with bar food. Appetizer coupons for club guests are valid here for some select apps. We had apps (comped) and a couple drinks and the tab came out to be about $70.

Pool/Fitness
All I can say is wow. Maybe its just me but a nice lap pool in the big city is pretty nice. Two lap only lanes and an area for regular swim. The roof of this pool opens up during the day. Right next to it is a outdoor sun deck where I saw a couple people laying there tanning. The fitness room wraps around the pool area with many cardio machines, fitness equipment, and free weight. There is also a jacuzzi and a sauna.

Miscellaneous items
- Gift Shop and Hertz Rental Car Counter on the lobby Floor
- Connected to the Prudential Center and a mall and on to Copley, where the Westin is at
- 2 club level express elevators for floors 26-29
- Parking is a hefty $42/night, in/out privileges
- Close to Newbury Street and the T (Hynes Convention Center Stop or the Prudential Stop)
- For cheap lobster meals, go to Whiskey's on Boylston, $10.95 for single/$18.95 for a double, disclaimer: this place is a sports/dive bar. But steamed lobster to me is the same anywhere.

Double-check before you proceed
- Free internet for platinum members even if not on club floor ^^^

Sorry if I've missed anything else. Just let me know.

Last edited by myperks; Sep 22, 2009 at 12:20 am
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Jan 9th to 11th Trip Report

Arrived on a Saturday for a cash and points 2 night stay. $60 + 4000 points.

Booked a traditional room and got upgraded at check in to a mini/junior suite. So far I'm 2/2 on getting upgraded as a Gold. The last place I got upgraded was the Planet Hollywood on a paid stay.

Boston is really cold this time of the year so I'm glad this hotel is connected to the Prudential Center. Ran to the food court there once or twice for a quick meal.

You can also get onto the subway (MBTA) by cutting through the Prudential Center and never having to go outdoors.

This Sheraton is participating in the Go Green program where you decline housekeeping for a day and get a $5 voucher or 500 points. I was told by the agent at the front desk that I just turn in the voucher at check out and they'll credit my account with 500 points.

Internet was $9.95 per 24 hours via the ethernet cable in the room. However the desk agent was nice enough to mention that wifi in the lobby is free. There's also a LINK area where computers with internet are supplied free of charge. On that note the staff here seem to be friendly and try to make your experience great. At 1 AM I needed a wine bottle opener and it took less than 10 minutes for someone to deliver it to my door.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Does anyone know if the indoor walkways to/from Back Bay Station are available after the malls close? Prudential Center closes at 9 PM on weekdays, and Copley Place closes at 8 PM. Is it a decent walk to the Sheraton with luggage after dark if one must walk outside?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Recent stay report

Since I've done more than my fair share of complaining recently, I thought I'd balance things out by reporting on recent stay at the Sheraton Boston a week ago.

Suffice to say that I really do like this hotel. Because they have an enormous inventory of suites (of all shapes and sizes), upgrades are fairly consistent here for Plat members and their front line staff is good. I think every stay I've had here for many years has always been upgraded to a suite or a junior suite.

On weekends, the club lounge is closed, but the hotel issues vouchers for appetizers in the lobby lounge in the evenings and breakfast vouchers for the full buffet in the restaurant in the mornings. Perfect! And, almost all of the breakfast servers have worked there since the early 1970s, so it's fun to chat with them about the old times.

All in all, the Sheraton Boston has done a commendable job of running a solid hotel. The room renovations (completed summer 2009) left the hotel feeling very contemporary and fresh. The staff is well trained and they treat Plats well. What more can I say?

Nice job, Sheraton Boston.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Does anyone know if the indoor walkways to/from Back Bay Station are available after the malls close? Prudential Center closes at 9 PM on weekdays, and Copley Place closes at 8 PM. Is it a decent walk to the Sheraton with luggage after dark if one must walk outside?
Still hoping for an answer on walking from Back Bay Station at night. The hotel's phone line actually has an option to hear directions from various directions and landmarks. But when I called, there was nothing about transit/pedestrian access from Back Bay or South Stations, which are major rail and bus hubs for the region. I was very surprised at the omission.

When I spoke to an employee, she said that I could indeed walk through Prudential Center, even after it closes at night. Does that match anyone's experience here?

I also suggested that they add walking directions from Back Bay to the automated message. She responded in a sort of, "um... sure" tone, but said it would be taken care of. I certainly hope it will.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:48 pm
Suspended

I really love this property and have stayed here many times. In my opinion, there simply is no comparison between this property and the Westin. The Sheraton is far superior, in my opinion.

As usual, I was upgraded to a great suite. This time I was on 27. The club is on 29. My suite was on a corner, so I had incredible views of the Charles River, Cambridge, and Fenway Park. Both rooms had plasma/flat screen TVs. My room also had a mini-fridge. The room had wired internet and I was able to pick up a wifi signal every so often (it was in and out).

(One suggestion: If the hotel isn't going to have a strong wireless signal, it would be nice to have an internet jack in the bedroom as I like to check email in bed while watching TV. It is a drag to only have internet access in the living room at the desk. The property's ethernet cord is painfully short. I always travel with an ethernet cord which was longer than the property's cord.)

The lounge was great...breathtaking views. The fridge had plenty of bottled water and Perrier. The lounge had great crudite and yummy mini-cupcakes. The hotel also has a great gym/pool.

And, yes, even when the Copley Mall is closed, you can use the walkway. I have never seen it closed.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:23 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I believe the walkway is closed from like 2 AM to 6 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:08 am

Great, thanks for the responses!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Check in Experience was not the best. I recently became a Platinum and when I asked to get an upgrade, the counter agent indicated that I wasn't a Platinum. I showed him the web page printout and he looked at it quite carefully and said it was difficult to read. I wasn't in any mood to argue, so accepted the room in the south tower (basic King, no frills and very dated). The room was a bit dated and old. I then decided to call the platinum concierge and she indicated the agent should have done a refresh screen and my reservation would show up as a Platinum. The Platinum Concierge was very helpful and called hotel management who promptly called me and moved me to a Suite in the North Tower with a spectacular view. It is a very nice room. Had to work for it, but hopefully, it will be easier for my next Starwood visit to the Westin La Canterra in San Antonio and I will not have to go through this issue again of whether I was Platinum.

The location is great. A very nice shopping mall at the bottom of the Prudential Center.

Parking is $42 valet and $39 in the Prudential Garage.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
I'm not surprised that the front desk experience at the Sheraton Boston is so less-than-optimum in terms of customer service.

I stay in that hotel 6 to 8 times a year, and most of the time, they make some significant mistake, such as giving me a room with a connecting door to the next room, so I can listen to my neighbor's every move at 2AM....or giving me a room next to the exceptionally noisy elevators (they sound like helicopters hovering outside my window when they go up and down)...or giving me what looks like a good junior suite, only to discover that the bedroom is right behind the maid's closet, so that everytime they need to get towels or the like for a guest, the door slams loudly and vibrates the lamps on the nightstands on either side of the bed.

*sigh*

This is really not a good hotel, and the customer service is below par for Starwood. I'm platinum for 11 consecutive years, so I'm really not a newbie. I've switched to Le Meridien in Cambridge for my Boston stays in the last several months, a much nicer hotel, much better customer service, though the downtown main street at Central Square is not especially attractive, even seedy in spots.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:20 pm

I'm staying now @ the Sheraton.

The Hotel does not offer breakfast & appetizer any more for Platinums in the weekends when the club lounge is close (The front office manager told me that this is a chain policy...)
That is a real bummer.

This was a major reason for me for staying @ the Sheraton.
Moving to the Westin for my next weekend stay.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:12 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
I'll be there for one night in August. Is there any parking near there for less than $42? That's a bit steep for a night.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:40 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jeffo
I'll be there for one night in August. Is there any parking near there for less than $42? That's a bit steep for a night.
What day of the week will you be there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.