Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
NEW BENEFIT - $100 off next stay!

Just saw this on the SPG homepage (i think you have to use your own link to the application page) -

Revised T&C from Application page:

"2. Cardmember must charge a stay at a participating Starwood hotel to their Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card within their first three months of Cardmembership. One $100 statement credit will be issued for the first purchase at a participating Starwood hotel made with the Card. Reservation must be made directly through a Starwood website. Credit issued as a Cardmember statement credit approximately 8-12 weeks after your first Starwood stay charged to the Card. To receive statement credit, account must be in good standing and not in default."

Looks like it's finally time to get one for Mrs. JDJ!

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Mar 13, 2009 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Just saw this on the SPG homepage (i think you have to use your own link to the application page) -

Revised T&C from Application page:

"2. Cardmember must charge a stay at a participating Starwood hotel to their Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card within their first three months of Cardmembership. One $100 statement credit will be issued for the first purchase at a participating Starwood hotel made with the Card. Reservation must be made directly through a Starwood website. Credit issued as a Cardmember statement credit approximately 8-12 weeks after your first Starwood stay charged to the Card. To receive statement credit, account must be in good standing and not in default."

Looks like it's finally time to get one for Mrs. JDJ!
Where do you see that this is a new benefit? This is a one time bonus for applying for this card.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:29 pm

the 15k bonus points for spending $15k in first 6 months and the $100 credit -- when applying for a new card, can't get both of those features at the same time, right? Looks like the different application links have one of those or the other, but I haven't seen a link yet that has both.

Last edited by bluedevils; Mar 13, 2009 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA GOLD, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Gawd search sux!

Does anyone know of any good offer for SPG Business AMEX?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by MrClean06
Gawd search sux!
Try this in Google for searching FlyerTalk: site:flyertalk.com spg business amex

10,000 Starpoints with your first purchase
15,000 Starpoints when you spend $15,000 in 6 months
https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...703&shortApp=1
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MrClean06
Gawd search sux!

Thanks
You're joking, right? I never seem to have a problem with the search function.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Try this in Google for searching FlyerTalk: site:flyertalk.com spg business amex

10,000 Starpoints with your first purchase
15,000 Starpoints when you spend $15,000 in 6 months
https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...703&shortApp=1
Thanks. As usual, you are amazing^
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:18 am

Can anyone explain the mechanics of Starpoints, i.e. how the SPG Amex-earned points get into your SPG account, whether Starpoints can be transferred to another person's SPG account, etc?

I'm trying to decide whether to open an SPG Amex credit card in my or my spouse's name. If point transfers from one SPG account to another are freely allowed, then it doesn't matter who is the primary on the Amex SPG account. But after reading up on the terms of SPG for some hours, I still don't know exactly how things work.

2.5 of SPG T&C says, "Starpoints may be transferred between two Program accounts only when each member resides at the same residential address."

Is it really that easy? Can I transfer as many or as few points as I want, as often as I want, electronically? Does it matter whether the points were earned thru SPG Amex spending or other means (Starwood hotel stays, shopping, promos, etc)?

We don't travel a ton, but the SPG program and the SPG Amex card are very appealing and would enable lots of free nights for us.

Earning points via SPG credit card at least every 12 months will keep your SPG account current. Will that apply only to the primary cardholder, or the secondary cardholder as well?

I'd rather not sign up for two separate SPG Amex accounts, although with the bonus points perhaps that's what we should do.

I'm planning to call SPG and see if they can clarify some of my questions. I hope they don't punt on the Amex-related ones, because that's basically what the Amex rep did when I talked to him the other day.

It's too bad that the FT forums lack a 'wiki post' feature. This sort of basic information could be stored there, so folks like me could find it instead of asking questions -- although I did a few keyword searches in this thread and couldn't find much discussion on the stuff I asked about in this post.

Last edited by bluedevils; Mar 20, 2009 at 7:26 am
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluedevils
Can anyone explain the mechanics of Starpoints, i.e. how the SPG Amex-earned points get into your SPG account, whether Starpoints can be transferred to another person's SPG account, etc?
At the end of your billing cycle/closing date (usually withing 48 Hours), points equal to the number of net charges are deposited into your SPG account.

I don't transfer or have an additional card, so I can't answer those questions.

Earning points via SPG credit card at least every 12 months will keep your SPG account current. .
Yes.

I'm planning to call SPG and see if they can clarify some of my questions. I hope they don't punt on the Amex-related ones, because that's basically what the Amex rep did when I talked to him the other day.

It's too bad that the FT forums lack a 'wiki post' feature. This sort of basic information could be stored there, so folks like me could find it instead of asking questions -- although I did a few keyword searches in this thread and couldn't find much discussion on the stuff I asked about in this post.
Thats why FT is equipped with a search feature and the Starwood forum has a FAQ thread. I would suggest reading some of the threads listed there, especially this thread: Everything you want to know about status at SPG

I hope that helps.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

At the end of your billing cycle/closing date (usually withing 48 Hours), points equal to the number of net charges are deposited into your SPG account.

I don't transfer or have an additional card, so I can't answer those questions.

Yes.

Thats why FT is equipped with a search feature and the Starwood forum has a FAQ thread. I would suggest reading some of the threads listed there, especially this thread: Everything you want to know about status at SPG

I hope that helps.
Thanks for your help. I am familiar with the search function of this website and have used it quite a bit and have read up on several of the SPG-related threads although I may have somehow NOT gone thru the FAQ thread. As someone else commented recently in this thread, it is NOT the greatest search feature in the world. For example, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find this thread -- it doesn't seem to show up in the thread / forum hierarchy and could not locate it with the forum search feature; found it by Google search before subscribing to it.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the concept of a 'wiki post' or if you have experienced it on other websites. A search feature is in no way a replacement or suitable substitute for a wiki post feature. Neither is having a variety of FAQ threads.

The absence of wiki post feature - I find that to be a serious omission currently on the FT site.

EDIT: The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread list -- this definitely looks like a solid-gold thread. I think the 'hotel' part of the name and the fact it has only 11 replies kept me from looking at it. There does indeed seem to be discussion of the types of questions I have. It was only after spending at least 4-6 hours looking around the FT site, SPG.com, etc without finding the info I was looking for, that I felt compelled to ask about it.

Last edited by bluedevils; Mar 20, 2009 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:08 am
Suspended

Thanks for your help. I am familiar with the search function of this website and have used it quite a bit and have read up on several of the SPG-related threads although I may have somehow NOT gone thru the FAQ thread. As someone else commented recently in this thread, it is NOT the greatest search feature in the world. For example, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find this thread -- it doesn't seem to show up in the thread / forum hierarchy and could not locate it with the forum search feature; found it by Google search before subscribing to it.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the concept of a 'wiki post' or if you have experienced it on other websites. A search feature is in no way a replacement or suitable substitute for a wiki post feature. Neither is having a variety of FAQ threads.

The absence of wiki post feature - I find that to be a serious omission currently on the FT site.

EDIT: The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread list -- this definitely looks like a solid-gold thread. I think the 'hotel' part of the name and the fact it has only 11 replies kept me from looking at it. There does indeed seem to be discussion of the types of questions I have. It was only after spending at least 4-6 hours looking around the FT site, SPG.com, etc without finding the info I was looking for, that I felt compelled to ask about it.
Your welcome.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
[/I]Is it really that easy? Can I transfer as many or as few points as I want, as often as I want, electronically? Does it matter whether the points were earned thru SPG Amex spending or other means (Starwood hotel stays, shopping, promos, etc)?
Yes, it's really that easy. It's all done by talking directly with an SPG rep. Doesn't matter how the points were earned. (Except maybe if we're talking about SVO points.)

Earning points via SPG credit card at least every 12 months will keep your SPG account current. Will that apply only to the primary cardholder, or the secondary cardholder as well?
The Amex account is still only tied to one SPG account, so I feel pretty confident in my expectation that it would only benefit the primary cardholder's account.

It's been mentioned that this is under review. Hopefully something that they'll enable sometime soon. It's long overdue, IMO.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:21 am

[/I]Is it really that easy? Can I transfer as many or as few points as I want, as often as I want, electronically? Does it matter whether the points were earned thru SPG Amex spending or other means (Starwood hotel stays, shopping, promos, etc)?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:22 am

Yes to number 1. Yes to number 2, but you have to do the transfer on the phone with a Starwood CSR. No to number 3, it does not matter.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
My wife got this offer:

no annual fee for first year
20K after $500 purchase in first 3 month
1k for additional card's first purchase.

We do not spend that much, so the 10K+15k after 15k purchase is not good for us. Despite the 10k pts standard offer, is there any better ones than what we have now?

Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.