Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by daveland
It's the largest publicly available offer they've ever done.
The points are very valuable, so this is as much as they offer. If you're on the market for these points, now is the time to get the card. The spending requirement is pretty reasonable. Also, Amex small business saturday promo is coming up in November, and this is another card you will have by then to get your free $25 on that day.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, AA, United
How to make sure both points go to the same SPG account number?

The personal one got approved online instantly. The business one said " in progress" and I had to call. The guy on the phone was very friendly and it got approved as well.
My understanding is I should wait to activate both cards at the same time to make sure all the points go to the same SPG account.
I used to have a SPG account a while ago and transferred all my points. That account is no longer working.
So I didn't enter any SPG account number when applying for the credit cards.

Thanks for sharing all the goodies
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:44 am

Have a card

Originally Posted by philemer
My experience has been that AMEX will give you the current bonus points if you haven't had that specific card (business or personal) for a year or two. Your MMV, of course.

Just saw this on the app. page: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months..

I've had the Business card for over a year but haven't had the Personal card for 2+ years so i expect to be approved for the Per. card.

The "welcome bonus" is the 10K for first purchase (which is what that footnote is attached to). As I've noted before, the second bonus (for $X spend in Y months) is unrestricted: you can cancel the SPG Amex, sign up again a month later, and get the 2d bonus (now 20K) so long as you hit the spend target.

I would like to get the bonus though I presently have a Starwood Card. Can I get the second spend bonus on a new card while I presently have an active account or do I need to close my current card and then reapply?

Any insights would be very much appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ddfr
Originally Posted by philemer
My experience has been that AMEX will give you the current bonus points if you haven't had that specific card (business or personal) for a year or two. Your MMV, of course.

Just saw this on the app. page: Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months..

I've had the Business card for over a year but haven't had the Personal card for 2+ years so i expect to be approved for the Per. card.

The "welcome bonus" is the 10K for first purchase (which is what that footnote is attached to). As I've noted before, the second bonus (for $X spend in Y months) is unrestricted: you can cancel the SPG Amex, sign up again a month later, and get the 2d bonus (now 20K) so long as you hit the spend target.

I would like to get the bonus though I presently have a Starwood Card. Can I get the second spend bonus on a new card while I presently have an active account or do I need to close my current card and then reapply?

Any insights would be very much appreciated.
You should be able to get it even if you keep your old card open.

I already posted this elsewhere, but I have an Amex Gold card for a couple of years. At the end of June I applied for a new one with the 75k promo and I got it because the app for the previous card was more than 12 months ago. I currently have 2 active Gold cards (and will cancel the new one when the annual fee is due). Based on this I am assuming that it would work the same way with the SPG card for both the welcome and the spend bonus.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:40 am

Thank you

I already posted this elsewhere, but I have an Amex Gold card for a couple of years. At the end of June I applied for a new one with the 75k promo and I got it because the app for the previous card was more than 12 months ago. I currently have 2 active Gold cards (and will cancel the new one when the annual fee is due). Based on this I am assuming that it would work the same way with the SPG card for both the welcome and the spend bonus.

Thanks so much for the response. Would I be eligible for the spend bonus (which is really the key for) if the other card was applied for less than 12 months ago---I think it may acually have been 10 or 11 months ago.

Thanks again
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:41 am

sorry

didn't mean for the font to just come out like it did in the post I just wrote.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ddfr

Thanks so much for the response. Would I be eligible for the spend bonus (which is really the key for) if the other card was applied for less than 12 months ago---I think it may acually have been 10 or 11 months ago.

Thanks again
Let me see if I understand correctly (I just SM'd Amex to clarify). I currently have the personal SPG card, which I already got from last year's 30k promo. The card is still open. What you are saying is that if I take my card right now and spend $5,000 in 6 months, I get 20,000 in bonus points? This sounds too easy. Do I need to sign up for the promo and how do I do that if I already have the card? I do not want to cancel it.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mromero07
Let me see if I understand correctly (I just SM'd Amex to clarify). I currently have the personal SPG card, which I already got from last year's 30k promo. The card is still open. What you are saying is that if I take my card right now and spend $5,000 in 6 months, I get 20,000 in bonus points? This sounds too easy. Do I need to sign up for the promo and how do I do that if I already have the card? I do not want to cancel it.
Thanks in advance.
Reading the OP, he opened a second Gold card account and got the points from that. The orginal Gold account was more than a year old and still open as well.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Reading the OP, he opened a second Gold card account and got the points from that. The orginal Gold account was more than a year old and still open as well.
That's correct. You cannot get the spend bonus on your current SPG card. My assumption is that if you open a NEW Starwood card you will be able to get the bonuses if your first card is more than 12 months old. The spend bonus people have been getting even if they have cards under 12 months old, but I never tried it so I can't tell you this for sure based on my own experience. What I do know is that I got the Welcome bonus for opening a SECOND Gold card more than 12 months after I applied for and received my first.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:53 pm

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but I hope someone would be able to shed some insight on my question.

I just read an article that says that you should close your existing SPG Amex account before performing a churn or else you won't receive the entire 30K; at most possibly 5K. I have a SPG Amex that I've had for a couple of years now, but with the new promo (30K points) I want to take advantage and apply for another one.

Is anyone else in this same scenario? Did you take advantage of the promo, and if so, were you able to get all the points? I'm assuming the key indicator is if you receive the first 10K on your first purchase. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by chinesescouse
Hi Guys, I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but I hope someone would be able to shed some insight on my question.

I just read an article that says that you should close your existing SPG Amex account before performing a churn or else you won't receive the entire 30K; at most possibly 5K. I have a SPG Amex that I've had for a couple of years now, but with the new promo (30K points) I want to take advantage and apply for another one.

Is anyone else in this same scenario? Did you take advantage of the promo, and if so, were you able to get all the points? I'm assuming the key indicator is if you receive the first 10K on your first purchase. Does anyone know if this is true?
When was the article dated? It used to be that Amex granted one bonus per card type per person and that's it. It seems that they have changed that to one bonus per 12 month period based on the current T&Cs for these offers.

I can't say with certainty if you will or won't get the full bonus, but if you read my posts above yours you will see that I did get the full bonus for Amex Gold even though I did not close my previous Gold card and currently have 2 active Gold cards. I did read further up the thread that the 20k points for spend was certainly a possibility even if you keep the old card open. You should read through the posts about the current offer to see what people are posting about their experience and I believe that at least part of your question will be answered.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, SPG
I opened my SPG in May with the 25k bonus. Just got around to calling AmEx and got a very friendly rep who was very optimistic and said the 5k bump shouldn't be an issue. He had to forward to the promotional department (who could kick it back) but hopefully I get my extra 5k.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:08 pm

1st 10k posted

I was reading another SPG starwood thread, and somebody mentioned that their 10k posted.

I just checked my account and it posted too (for first purchase). As a data point: I have an a Starwood account (approx 2 years ago), and I still got the first spend bonus. I wasn't sure if that was going to be the case, but was willing to take the risk anyway and I'm happy to say the least!

I've met my spend so I'll be waiting for the rest of the 20k (for the spend bonus) to post soon.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I was reading another SPG starwood thread, and somebody mentioned that their 10k posted.
Mine also posted this morning (8/20) - my initial purchase was on 8/17.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:13 pm

Does anyone have any idea how long the 30k promo might last?

I would like to get in on it but I just got the HHonors AMEX and also wanted to grab the Chase MileagePlus Explorer card (am flying United next month and want the bag check fee waived + received a targeted offer for 55K miles/fee waived). I want to ensure that I can meet the spend requirements of both cards, so I was thinking of holding off a month or two, meeting spend on the United card and giving my Hhonors AMEX app some time to settle before applying for the *wood.

I'm sure I *could* meet the spend requirement if needed (6 months is a long time), but I'm pretty new to the churn game and I would rather hit one at a time for now if I can!

Also...is there any risk to signing up for a business card for personal expenses? I could argue that my wife does nutrition consulting and teaches food classes as a "business" but it would be a stretch to explain all of the charging away as business expense...

(New to FlyerTalk, so please let me know if I'm asking these questions in the wrong place!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.