Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Rate - ID Required?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Corporate Rate - ID Required?

I work for a software company and do allot of work all of the big players (IBM, MSFT etc). I am a Plat guest and for the first time I was asked to show proof of ID when checking in. In this case I was doing work for IBM as a contractor so my business card is my own personal card and has no mention of IBM other than we support IBM Software.

The reason I am upset is my project manager from IBM advised me to book under this code to keep my rate under $200 a night.

When I booked my reservation nothing comes up and says "proof of employment required" like it does when you try to book under government rates. Any thoughts and thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
So you are saying that I am entitled to use the IBM rate if I know the SET#?

Just ask your PM for a letter on the IBM letterhead that says you are on temporary assignment to IBM (or something to that effect) and that you are entitled to the IBM corp rate. I have never seen any corporate rate that says not valid for contractors/consultants, only the government rates. I don't see why you are upset about this, unless you plan to use it for personal trips.

In my experience most of the so called up-scale hotels ask to see your ID (ie W, St Regis, Luxury collection) but I never use a rate that I don't have the proper ID/letter for. They can charge you rack rate if you don't have your id, this almost happened to me once when it took a few days to get my government contractor ID.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:46 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
An interesting question about this SET stuff.

If you use the government discount rate in a foreign country, does that mean you have to be a government employeee on assignment for that particular country?

What I mean is this. Say I work for the Canadian Government. If I go to Germany and booked on Government rate, would I qualify? Or do I have to work for the German Government in order to get the government rate in Germany?

I book on government rate, though I have my business card ready, I haven't been questioned among all my 26 stays this year to provide my ID. Note that they are all stays in a handful of hotels (3 -4 ) and the clerk kind of reconizes me. Maybe that has to do with the billing address being a Government building...

Anyone ever get a request of ID for government rates? Where?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Which hotel was this? I've never been asked for ID when staying at any Starwood property on my company's rate for the past few years. I don't even bring my employee badge with me because I have no need for it when traveling.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I worked for a large consulting company until recently. The SET code provided very good rates. I was asked several times for my employee ID (and could not be a contractor). At one hotel we had a company event and two of the people who were with us did not have their badges and/or business cards - they had to pay a higher rate.

As far as govt ID I know that if you book on that rate they are rather "strict" about it only because the rate is so low.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
When staying on a govt rate, I have been asked several times to show a picture ID documenting my employment with the govt. Unfortuntately, I work for the State of Calif, and we generally do not issue picture ID cards. Then, I'd have to fish around for a business card or letter or meeting agenda which somehow ties me in with my driver's license.

Regarding SET code. I believe that some SET codes also extend to the spouse when traveling. Is that correct? If so, there would not be a tie-in with the company. BTW....when booked with a SET, I have never, ever, ever been asked for any type of ID.

Lastly, yeunganson's question. Some hotels offer a general government rate covering all govt employees. Some hotels have different rates for Federal govt and state govt. And some hotels only allow state govt rates to apply to employees of their own state (meaning, as a State of Calif employee, I could not use a govt rate at a hotel in NY).
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I am aware of at least one Westin on the east coast that specifically spells out on a certain SET Corporate rate that the rate is valid exclusively for payrolled, direct employees of the organization and does NOT extend, ever, for consultants or other collateral "employees." They also demand Corporate ID upon checkin. And, this is all spelled out (or at least used to be) in the booking confirmation so that there is no misunderstanding.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:49 pm

Some SET rates are exclusively for employees only (not contractors, etc). Others are for employees and visitors. If you are using one for employees only and they ask for ID and you can't produce it ...

IBM has some really good rates at some properties because of their size and purchasing power. Unfortunately, it doesn't always roll down to contractors doing work for IBM. On the other hand, I'm often amazed out how inflexible their policies are ... some of my friends from IBM often have to stay at properties I wouldn't stay at, even when attending conventions. I guess from IBMs point of view, they get purchasing power and better discounts by requiring employees to stay only at properties with negotiated rates, since they can use their number of stays/nights during rate negotiations. The companies providing those negotiated rates have an interest in limiting them to employees only.

I guess you're just going to have to tell the PM that you tried using IBMs rate but you were denied because you weren't an employee. I've tried asking my IBM friends if I could use their negotiated rates in Austin, because they had some very good rates where I wanted to stay and my company didn't, but even when checking with the property directly, I was told they were for employees only.

-David
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I have stayed at least 400 times (over the past 10 years) on corporate rates and have been asked for ID exactly twice. I've always been surprised that they don't ask for it more often.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I get asked for my ID at every check in.. but the ID they want to see is my license to match to the credit card... I'm never asked for any other id but my license..
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ldsant
As far as govt ID I know that if you book on that rate they are rather "strict" about it only because the rate is so low.
spg.com is a global booking site, so if Starwood advertises a "Government Employee" rate, this surely must apply to any employee of any Government anywhere in the world.

The terms of an spg booking show as :

Government Rate-Id Required Not Valid For Government Contracted Vendors
Government Employee Id
.Govt Id Required At Check-In
I don't see, anywhere, a stipulation that this is restricted to American Government Employees. Or have I missed something ?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jul 25, 2007 at 3:46 am
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
i have seen where gov't rates specify Canadian gov't or state gov't so I would assume that they would specify a specific gov't if that is what they intend
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
spg.com is a global booking site, so if Starwood advertises a "Government Employee" rate, this surely must apply to any employee of any Government anywhere in the world.

The terms of an spg booking show as :

I don't see, anywhere, a stipulation that this is restricted to American Government Employees. Or have I missed something ?
Not sure where anybody sai that it was restricted to American employees??
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ldsant
Not sure where anybody sai that it was restricted to American employees??
You're right. I was relating to the debate re picture IDs for California State vs Federal Government.

In the scenario of, say, a nurse from a London National Health Service hospital booking a vacation stay in Florida at an advantageuous Government Employee rate, would Government ID be requested and required ?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:55 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
...In the scenario of, say, a nurse from a London National Health Service hospital booking a vacation stay in Florida at an advantageuous Government Employee rate, would Government ID be requested and required ?
It's always a possibility. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.