Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:21 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
Had some SNA shenanigans here. Booked a one-night stay on C+P and applied a SNA, and then when C+P space became available for the second night, booked a second separate stay the following night and applied a second SNA about a week in advance of the arrival.

In all, it ended up the way things were supposed to end up, but I probably had to spend a half hour at the front desk. As much as I dislike the Hyatt changes, this is why I'm keeping my Diamond status there and letting Plat slide - SNAs are just the worst to deal with.
I'd say the "shenanigans" had less to do with the SNAs and all to do with the fact that you had two consecutive 1 night reservations that confused the systems. That happens to many hotel groups!

That being said, you're welcome to stick with Hyatt...which would put you in the glorious Hyatt Place or Hyatt House in Portland, the only options available. Enjoy those as you want....but good luck getting a suite at such lame properties.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd say the "shenanigans" had less to do with the SNAs and all to do with the fact that you had two consecutive 1 night reservations that confused the systems. That happens to many hotel groups!

That being said, you're welcome to stick with Hyatt...which would put you in the glorious Hyatt Place or Hyatt House in Portland, the only options available. Enjoy those as you want....but good luck getting a suite at such lame properties.
I've done SNAs on consecutive nights at other Starwood properties and haven't had this issue ever happen before.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:33 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I've done SNAs on consecutive nights at other Starwood properties and haven't had this issue ever happen before.
I'm in no way forgiving the hotel or systems, mind you, for messing up the reservation(s). I'm simply suggesting that the issue was less to do with the SNAs and more to do with the separate nights, regardless.

If you've used SNAs in the past successfully and never had any problem, though, it begs the question as to why you'd characterize this one experience as so bad that you'd abandon SPG. I think a bit of melodrama may have gotten the better of you on this one.

Either way, I'll be staying here on several separate occasions in the coming year...so we will see what happens to me.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm in no way forgiving the hotel or systems, mind you, for messing up the reservation(s). I'm simply suggesting that the issue was less to do with the SNAs and more to do with the separate nights, regardless.

If you've used SNAs in the past successfully and never had any problem, though, it begs the question as to why you'd characterize this one experience as so bad that you'd abandon SPG. I think a bit of melodrama may have gotten the better of you on this one.

Either way, I'll be staying here on several separate occasions in the coming year...so we will see what happens to me.
That seems like the definition of forgiving the hotel/systems, actually. I'm not suggesting that I was staying with Starwood until this one incident, at which point I am now giving up Starwood. I'm saying that there were myriad reasons, among which suites guaranteeing as opposed to having issues using my SNAs, both here and in having them applied at other places is one.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:58 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

That seems like the definition of forgiving the hotel/systems, actually. I'm not suggesting that I was staying with Starwood until this one incident, at which point I am now giving up Starwood. I'm saying that there were myriad reasons, among which suites guaranteeing as opposed to having issues using my SNAs, both here and in having them applied at other places is one.
I guess then anyone who has consecutive night but separate reservations with SNAs applied at this hotel should be on the lookout.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Booked one night here. Will I be able to spend an full day around the area?

Deciding if I really need an rental car or if I should just uber to an from the airport if I don't need to park around there.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

Deciding if I really need an rental car or if I should just uber to an from the airport if I don't need to park around there.
Take the MAX light rail at the airport to and from the hotel instead: it's easy, quick, and cheap: http://www.thenines.com/portland-transportation
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

Lots of stuff to do within walking distance of the hotel. If you don't need a car to get somewhere out of town, definitely don't bother.

Light rail from the airport is also a fairly easy alternative option to Uber if you are interested.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Lots of stuff to do within walking distance of the hotel. If you don't need a car to get somewhere out of town, definitely don't bother.

Light rail from the airport is also a fairly easy alternative option to Uber if you are interested.
Thanks, How's the lightrail in terms of safety?

I.e. Hong Kong, Japan, and etc. places are common to use MTR/rail safely.

NY, Houston, not really.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA, DL, EK, HH, SBUX, Global Entry
You can hop on the lightrail and ride it until you're one block from the hotel. It's plenty safe. Haven't looked back to see if you posted your flight time but I've ridden it home from the airport post 10pm several times and no issues.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Thanks, How's the lightrail in terms of safety?
Very safe by US standards. I and most of my colleagues commute by MAX/bus (or on foot) daily. There are some dicey spots, but not on the line to/from the airport. You might encounter some homeless kids who are high and can act a bit threatening -- if those things worry you, spring for Uber to the hotel.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:08 pm

Thanks!

Anything to do around other than shopping in that district? Doesn't seem much to be done in Portland.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Anything to do around other than shopping in that district? Doesn't seem much to be done in Portland.
EAT!! When staying at the Nines i often walk to Masu Sushi and/or Ruby Jewel. Also on a rainy day I stayed indoors once and can highly recommend the lunch menu at the onsite restaurant (I think it's called Urban Farmer?)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:32 pm

How's Masu Sushi like Legit? How's it compare with Sushi in Los Angeles?

If it's competitive Ill give it an try.

Was thinking Ringside Fish or Jakes Crawfish for dinner.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
How's Masu Sushi like Legit? How's it compare with Sushi in Los Angeles?

If it's competitive Ill give it an try.

Was thinking Ringside Fish or Jakes Crawfish for dinner.
I like Masu; Decent prices and nice quality fish. I'd probably skip Jake's just because it's not a Portland place.

Another couple of places to consider that are close by are Clyde Common (great happy hour) and Tasty & Alder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.