Search

Starwood Points Redemption Increase - 2007

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:58 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kniksefat
Just like Thunderroad, I have not had a chance to go though this whole thread. I just want to confirm that the expected category increase date is still February 1, 2007. In other words, all award reservations made or modified after January 31, 2007 will be at the new rates.

Thanks!
Well, yes and no. Category 7 is due to launch February 1, 2007. The yearly adjustment to all other categories will probably happen on or about January 1, 2007.

We've really been discussing two separate issues, but that has gotten muddled along the way.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Mom & Dad always said, "Son, never throw gasoline on a fire." But, I got some more news today concerning Category 7 redemptions and wanted to share them with all of you. These are what Category 7 hotels and resorts are going to cost in February 2007:

Standard SPG7
30,000 Lo
35,000 Hi

SPG7S
31,500 Lo
36,750 Hi

SPG7SS
32,500 Lo
37,500 Hi

SPG7SU
60,000 Lo
70,000 Hi

SPG7SU2
75,000 Lo
87,500 Hi

SPG7SU3
90,000 Lo
105,000 Hi

SPG7SU4
120,000 Lo
140,000 Hi

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Mom & Dad always said, "Son, never throw gasoline on a fire." But, I got some more news today concerning Category 7 redemptions and wanted to share them with all of you. These are what Category 7 hotels and resorts are going to cost in February 2007: ...
Thanks keeping us up-to-date. We won't shoot the messenger, just don't get too close to the fire with that red can you are carrying
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
These are what Category 7 hotels and resorts are going to cost in February 2007:

Sincerely,

William R. "Gas Can" Sanders
Thanks for the info (Can we expect more good news next Friday afternoon beforethe Christmas break? ). Not sure what all those upgrade categories mean, but those are some hefty redemption rates.

That effectively takes the Cat 7 properties out of the program (which perhaps was the intent all along).

Last edited by cactuspete; Dec 15, 2006 at 4:51 pm Reason: sp.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
There is one way to put an end to all of the moaning about point devaluation...

SPG members keep earning points at the current rate. There would then be a fixed redemption rate for a stay at a hotel, eg. a $100 room costs X points, a $200 room costs 2X points and so on. To redeem, you simply find a room, and pay with points instead of $.

This has a lot of advantages:
Room inflation in real terms (ie $) is equally reflected in the rate at which points are earned and redeemed.
If you want to spend less points you find a 'low season' date when rooms are cheaper.
If you wanted a nicer room, you redeem more points.
The no blackout date feature continues, if a room is available for $ and you have enough points you've got the room.
Platinums could enforce the 72 hour guaranteed availability, and pay the rack rate with points

The only issues becomes how many points = $1?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Cat 7 - Seriously?

OK -

I was skeptical at first that a free room would cost 30,000 points - 60,000 points. But now to see that quite possibly it would be 120,000 points or more.

I mean, seriously, who would possibly redeem that many points? Could it POSSIBLY be worth it? That is outrageous - granted I'm a new daddy with 2 kids who doesn't do the luxury trips anymore, but really. 120,000 points is like 15 nights EASILY at a $200/night hotel, not to mention value on CC, or other arenas - what rack rate is possibly $3000/night to get that value?

There is inflation, and there is absurd. This is just absurd. I appreciate the heads up, but Bora Bora will just have to wait for that.

If someone has 120,000 / night to spend on a hotel room please let me know.

Other thought - is there anything even comparable in any other program? What is the highest hotel cat in HH, MR, etc. This is just bad for SPG business...I agree, those hotels will have little to no redemption, which of course is the point.

Even my property tax on my highly over-priced home doesn't rise that fast...
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by mazzer
There is one way to put an end to all of the moaning about point devaluation...

SPG members keep earning points at the current rate. There would then be a fixed redemption rate for a stay at a hotel, eg. a $100 room costs X points, a $200 room costs 2X points and so on. To redeem, you simply find a room, and pay with points instead of $.

This has a lot of advantages:
Room inflation in real terms (ie $) is equally reflected in the rate at which points are earned and redeemed.
If you want to spend less points you find a 'low season' date when rooms are cheaper.
If you wanted a nicer room, you redeem more points.
The no blackout date feature continues, if a room is available for $ and you have enough points you've got the room.
Platinums could enforce the 72 hour guaranteed availability, and pay the rack rate with points

The only issues becomes how many points = $1?
Nah, far too straightforward, practical, problem avoiding, etc. for SPG to embrace what you propose. But the existing "Points and Cash" option, which is too limited at present, is a start in that direction. SPG could and should keep "Points and Cash," adjusting the number of points and $s required often, rather than going with precipitous devaluations through category upgrades. That would accomplish something of what you are after, and appropriate, frequent adjustments to those points and cash requirements would be much more acceptable than the major "devaluations" we get with category shifts. [Yohoo, William, are you listening?]

Last edited by itsme; Dec 15, 2006 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsme
... [Yohoo, William, are you listening?]
Yes, but I'm not the one you need to convince. They're watching, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: united airlines
Yes, but if you think a change like that one might serve the interests of everyone, feel free to advocate for such.

Yes, but I'm not the one you need to convince. They're watching, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Can someone explain the differences between the category 7 sub categories; SPG7SU, SPG7SU1, SPG7SU2, SPG7SU3, and SPG7SU4?

I tried a google, yahoo, and FT search on SPG7SU4 and nothing but this thread came up.

Are they different number of nights, different hotels, something else?

Thanks.

Mom & Dad always said, "Son, never throw gasoline on a fire." But, I got some more news today concerning Category 7 redemptions and wanted to share them with all of you. These are what Category 7 hotels and resorts are going to cost in February 2007:

Standard SPG7
30,000 Lo
35,000 Hi

SPG7S
31,500 Lo
36,750 Hi

SPG7SS
32,500 Lo
37,500 Hi

SPG7SU
60,000 Lo
70,000 Hi

SPG7SU2
75,000 Lo
87,500 Hi

SPG7SU3
90,000 Lo
105,000 Hi

SPG7SU4
120,000 Lo
140,000 Hi

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Can someone explain the differences between the category 7 sub categories; SPG7SU, SPG7SU1, SPG7SU2, SPG7SU3, and SPG7SU4?

I tried a google, yahoo, and FT search on SPG7SU4 and nothing but this thread came up.

Are they different number of nights, different hotels, something else?

Thanks.
SPG7SU is a standard suite award. SPG7SU2 is a category 2 (better) suite award, SPG7SU3 is a category 3 suite award (even better than 2), and SPG7SU4 is a category 4 suite award (best). What kind of suites a property has determines which one is used for redemption purposes.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Thanks for the reply - I just have to say wowwwww.

Is there any place to see a listing of the different type.

It sounds like SPG suites in cat 7 hotels are now, from a practicality perspective, out of reach for most people if there are many put in the upper buckets.

It use to be I would just feel fortunate to get a suite in a nice hotel. That looks to be gone now. Mind you I just started staying with SPG properties but for any suites it looks like other chains are the place to be. Meaning a fixed number of points for a suite. Sometimes you got a normal suite, others times a presidential one.

On the other hand for people who do want to burn this many points it looks like SPG will give them a better chance to get very nice ones.

SPG7SU SPG7SU2 SPG7SU3 SPG7SU4
60,000 Lo 75,000 90,000 120,000
70,000 Hi 87,500 105,000 140,000

If you convert to the price SPG sells (lmited) points at ($0.05) the 140k is a whopping $7000 per night.

SPG7SU is a standard suite award. SPG7SU2 is a category 2 (better) suite award, SPG7SU3 is a category 3 suite award (even better than 2), and SPG7SU4 is a category 4 suite award (best). What kind of suites a property has determines which one is used for redemption purposes.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Hello Categories 8 through 13. 140K points for a night is called a blackout in my book.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Double post

Last edited by deckman; Dec 15, 2006 at 4:52 pm
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
980K points for a week at the top of the top of the line in season. For me that's about a careers worth of points. Rock star rates. I agree with Sam P. Goodman, it's defacto blackout range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.