Starwood Points Redemption Increase - 2007

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:10 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by cactuspete
What?

Take advantage of today's redemption requirements before these, or any of our other 825 hotels change categories , in February 2007.

What exactly does the highlighted phrase mean, then?
Well, if you place commas where they should be placed, it makes perfect sense, right? I'll see if I can't get them added or the offending phrase eliminated altogether. Would that make you happy? Probably not, I'm guessing.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Well, if you place commas where they should be placed, it makes perfect sense, right?
No, it doesn't. Not at all. Nice try, though.^

I'll see if I can't get them added or the offending phrase eliminated altogether.
My guess is that the Marketing Weasel will go for the latter.

Would that make you happy? Probably not, I'm guessing.
It's not a question of happiness. I just want to understand the rules so that I can protect my investment.@:-)
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cactuspete
...It's not a question of happiness. I just want to understand the rules so that I can protect my investment.@:-)
Okay. Then you can take this to the bank: Hotels that aren't Category 7 are going to be adjusted long before February 1st. Probably closer to January 1st. Category 7 will go into effect as of February 1st.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Arrow this just in...

Okay. Then you can take this to the bank: Hotels that aren't Category 7 are going to be adjusted long before February 1st. Probably closer to January 1st. Category 7 will go into effect as of February 1st.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Looks like I was wrong...no one is going up in category until February 1, 2007, so the message on the web site is correct. There will be no category changes affected to any other category until that date.

Glad to be wrong sometimes.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Looks like I was wrong...no one is going up in category until February 1, 2007, so the message on the web site is correct. There will be no category changes affected to any other category until that date.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thankyou William.^ Now I do not have to rush out and book my 50% less award booking.

BTW when can we expect the usual end of the year category changes?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Are you being sarcastic, or am I missing something?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: united airlines

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Good thing that between 4:41PM, the time of your prior post, and 5:14PM, the time of posting for this one, cactuspete didn't present it ("take this to the bank") for collection, because it seems it would have bounced had he done so.

[This "big grin" icon looks derisive IMHO, but that is not my intention with the icon or my gentle gibe.]
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by yyzprincess

Ummm, just a guess completely out of the blue, but Feb 1, 2007 maybe?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by danwhy
Ummm, just a guess completely out of the blue, but Feb 1, 2007 maybe?
Nah, an unfounded rumor intended to agitate the faithful and cause us to doubt the benificence of SPG.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Cool

Originally Posted by itsme
Nah, an unfounded rumor intended to agitate the faithful and cause us to doubt the benificence of SPG.
You're right!!! I'll sleep with one eye open tonight
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by danwhy
You're right!!! I'll sleep with one eye open tonight
No need for such hypervigilance, StarwoodLurker is watching over all of us and won't let harm befall anyone. Keep the faith, don't let rumors undermine it.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
I would rather see Starwood implement capacity controls & then keep the existing award levels. With capacity controls, ultra-lux properties would not loose money on award bookings because they would make available to SPG only excess inventory.
Well first, the hotels do NOT lose money on award bookings. If the hotel is nearly full (over 90% occupancy IIRC), then the SPG program (i.e., corporate Starwood) reimburses the property the average daily paid rate for the date of that stay. The hotel is indifferent. If the hotel is NOT full, then the SPG program pays the hotel its marginal cost of "operating" that room, which is prenegotiated. Again, the hotel is indifferent at that point whether the room goes empty or they make zero profit. (I don't know whether potential ancillary guest revenues are factored into the negotiated reimbursement).

In return, SPG would only have to pay the hotel the lower SPG rate. It would be nice for those travelers with flexibility to be able to redeem reasonably priced awards at ultra-lux properties on the nights when the property owner thinks the rooms will be vacant. The economics of point schemes only work when the business is giving away excess inventory.
The "economics" of SPG is basically that it is a marketing expense for the corporate entity, to generate loyalty. It is NOT a profit center, like I think the AC frequent flier program is given the spin-off. When Starwood designed the program, they chose to have zero capacity controls, and obviously there's a cost to that -- having to reimburse properties at significantly higher rates when occupancy is high. The good news is that occupancy has basically plateaued in recent months, and probably won't go any higher in the next few years. On the other hand, the SPG program collects 5% of total (room?) revenues at all participating *W hotels. (I don't know how this compares to Hilton or Marriott -- would be interesting to find out). So, as room rates continue to rise, so does the program's revenue stream (and so do our point balances!). With flat occupancy rates, the program's expense stream shouldn't increase any further, except to the extent that rising operating costs (e.g., labor) adversely impact the hotels marginal costs and thus the reimbursement from SPG. If you had to ask me, I'd say that any future point devaluations (e.g., in 2008) will probably be unjustified...

But in any event, in those period of "excess inventory", you're more likely to find an attractive paid rate, given the recent proliferation of revenue management techniques in the hotel business. Anyone can do the math to figure out the relative value of using points or paying cash. I think most people would consider $0.03 of value per point (e.g., $300 for a Cat 4; $210 for Cat 3) good, and frequently achievable. At the end of the day, I would MUCH rather have the ability to use the same number of points when rates soar, then the ability to use a reduced number of points when rates are weak.

Say, $600 for a Cat 4 would be $0.06/point, and that's not unrealistic (I'm getting $0.09/point in Mexico over New Years!). If they cut the point requirement to 5,000 when rates fell to the $150 range, you'd only be getting $0.03 per point, which is good, but hardly "great". The no-capacity-control system is much better for finding those "great" opportunities, which are usually the periods I want to travel anyway. Not the Carribean during hurricane season or Minneapolis in February, which is when you might find those $150 Cat 4 rates.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well first, the hotels do NOT lose money on award bookings. If the hotel is nearly full (over 90% occupancy IIRC), then the SPG program (i.e., corporate Starwood) reimburses the property the average daily paid rate for the date of that stay. The hotel is indifferent. If the hotel is NOT full, then the SPG program pays the hotel its marginal cost of "operating" that room, which is prenegotiated. Again, the hotel is indifferent at that point whether the room goes empty or they make zero profit. (I don't know whether potential ancillary guest revenues are factored into the negotiated reimbursement).

The "economics" of SPG is basically that it is a marketing expense for the corporate entity, to generate loyalty. It is NOT a profit center, like I think the AC frequent flier program is given the spin-off. When Starwood designed the program, they chose to have zero capacity controls, and obviously there's a cost to that -- having to reimburse properties at significantly higher rates when occupancy is high. The good news is that occupancy has basically plateaued in recent months, and probably won't go any higher in the next few years. On the other hand, the SPG program collects 5% of total (room?) revenues at all participating *W hotels. (I don't know how this compares to Hilton or Marriott -- would be interesting to find out). So, as room rates continue to rise, so does the program's revenue stream (and so do our point balances!). With flat occupancy rates, the program's expense stream shouldn't increase any further, except to the extent that rising operating costs (e.g., labor) adversely impact the hotels marginal costs and thus the reimbursement from SPG. If you had to ask me, I'd say that any future point devaluations (e.g., in 2008) will probably be unjustified...

But in any event, in those period of "excess inventory", you're more likely to find an attractive paid rate, given the recent proliferation of revenue management techniques in the hotel business. Anyone can do the math to figure out the relative value of using points or paying cash. I think most people would consider $0.03 of value per point (e.g., $300 for a Cat 4; $210 for Cat 3) good, and frequently achievable. At the end of the day, I would MUCH rather have the ability to use the same number of points when rates soar, then the ability to use a reduced number of points when rates are weak.

Say, $600 for a Cat 4 would be $0.06/point, and that's not unrealistic (I'm getting $0.09/point in Mexico over New Years!). If they cut the point requirement to 5,000 when rates fell to the $150 range, you'd only be getting $0.03 per point, which is good, but hardly "great". The no-capacity-control system is much better for finding those "great" opportunities, which are usually the periods I want to travel anyway. Not the Carribean during hurricane season or Minneapolis in February, which is when you might find those $150 Cat 4 rates.

Your comments are interesting, and I appreciate the time it took to develop your thoughtful response.

It is not my experience that Category 4 and above hotels have rates that flucuate between $150 and $600 for an identical room based upon the date. Now, I am excluding ultra-high season events like New Orleans Mardi Gras and NYC New Year's Eve. (Current SPG program is a HUGE value for those who travel to these events). For instance, rates at the LC Pulitzer Amsterdam on a busy summer weekend will be roughly the same as during a mid-week period in March (Maybe $400/$300). Certainly not a difference similar to $600/$150.

My travel patterns are high season like yours. However, I just elect to vacation the week of July 11 and not the week of July 4. Doing so allows me to easily book award first class air reservations at saver mileage rates. By being flexible one-week during high season, I am saving SPG alot of money in it's reimbursment for my award stays. Shouldn't SPG incent behavior like mine (via lower cost awards) and dis-incent award travel for the July 4 week in Hawaii (via higher cost awards)?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon

I'm not sure about the values you impute to SPG points in your last couple of paragraphs, at least not for my own purposes. But what you say in your first paragraphs is among the most insightful I have read in any FT thread/forum. Does what you say there about the deal between SPG and the hotels, along with the economic/business implications of their agreement, come from "inside" knowledge of the SPG's and/or the hotels' operations?

Thanks, I do appreciate informative posts like yours.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by itsme
B]StarwoodLurker[/B] is watching over all of us and won't let harm befall anyone.
He knows when you've been sleeping. He knows when you're awake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.