Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien N'Fis, Marrakesh / Marrakech, Morocco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien N'Fis, Marrakesh / Marrakech, Morocco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning on taking the family to Morocco (first time visit) in a few months and I came across the attractive C&P rate at this property. Without the sizeable discount, I don't think it would be my first choice (reviews, both here and elsewhere, are decidedly mixed) but it does seem like I'd have to fork over A LOT more money to stay somewhere nicer (especially since I'll need 2 rooms). My first inclination would be a nice riad, but I'm wondering if a "Western hotel" might be a better option for the kids, and prevent "Moroccan sensory overload."

I also noticed that all the rates on the spg website seem to include breakfast. Would I now get breakfast for free on a C&P award, or will they find a reason to deny us this benefit? I'm only an spg gold.

I also see that there has been some discussion in this thread about car rentals. After we visit Marrakech, we also plan to drive around the country a bit. I'd greatly appreciate any helpful hints on this topic, perhaps by PM.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For a family I would recommend the Sofitel. It has a huge pool area, large buffet breakfast which is free to guests, and a short walk to some interesting areas. I was there with a family of 7 and we negotiated a rate of €425 for the Presidential Suite. But obviously two normal rooms would be cheaper, depending on the season.

Driving around is a great idea as it is an amazing country. Mountains, beaches, desert, etc. It's a lot like California in its terrain.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
For a family I would recommend the Sofitel. It has a huge pool area, large buffet breakfast which is free to guests, and a short walk to some interesting areas. I was there with a family of 7 and we negotiated a rate of €425 for the Presidential Suite. But obviously two normal rooms would be cheaper, depending on the season.
Agreed. Much better than the LM.

I only had a deluxe suite, but it was great. That and a connecting room might be perfect for a family.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macabus
Agreed. Much better than the LM.

I only had a deluxe suite, but it was great. That and a connecting room might be perfect for a family.
I have no doubt this is true. But economics dictate against the Sofitel.

With C&P, each room at the Le Meridien is only US$45/night! I have no doubt that I can buy a much nicer hotel room if I want to spend $600.

So the question is whether there are any reasonable alternatives that make some economic sense.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by iahphx
With C&P, each room at the Le Meridien is only US$45/night! I have no doubt that I can buy a much nicer hotel room if I want to spend $600.

So the question is whether there are any reasonable alternatives that make some economic sense.
For $45? Not even for $100 could you find something reasonable. Remember that the US dollar ain't what it used to be.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:20 pm

The Le Meridian is OK... not great ... but nothing bad.
I rented a car from Sixt, was a little old but OK. We went to Kashba Tubkal, Essaouira and other places. Very interesting. Parking in front of the hotel was free. Marrakesh & Morocco are great places ... I may go back in spring 2010.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For $45? Not even for $100 could you find something reasonable. Remember that the US dollar ain't what it used to be.
Right, that's the problem. When something slightly better is going to cost me more than twice as much -- and maybe several times as much -- the generic chain hotel starts looking pretty good! I need something nice in the $100ish price range to be viable. Otherwise, long live cash & points!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I spent a night at Le Meridien N'Fis Marrakech and it was a pretty good stay, well beyond my expectations; in particular, the Platinum recognition was excellent.

I had two rooms, one for me and one for a friend; they upgraded me to a third floor suite (overlooking the pool with the mountains in the distance) and put my friend in an ordinary but comfortable room right next door. Free full buffet breakfast for both of us, even though the room rate was very low (equivalent to about £50/Euro 50), free wifi throughout the hotel and free 30 minute massage and hamman spa treatment for both us too ^

The rooms were renovated (below) if not particularly exciting. I had a giant bathroom and ante-room, with free bottle of water and a big bowl of fresh fruit. We were both also given vouchers for a free Illy coffee at the downstairs bar, although I think that was a Le Meridien brand thing rather than a deal specific to this property. The only negative was the water pressure in the shower, which was no better than acceptable. Nosing around, there were a couple of better suites at the far end of each floor and on the top floor that had their own balcony on which you could have sunloungers.

Dawn view from room 320

The poolside restaurant was okay, nothing special. Similarly, the Morrocan-themed restaurant in the evening was uninspiring while the service was friendly but incompetent. Of course, most people will sensibly eat elsewhere. Breakfast was much better, and some attempt had been made to disguise the chain hotel decor with some colourful Moroccan fabric; by no means authentic, but it made a nice change and there was a pleasant partially-covered bright and cheerful outside seating (below). Made-to-order pancakes and omelettes were on offer was well as the usual fruit, cheese and cereals.

In addition to the free hammam and massage (which were as good as you could expect for free) there was an extensive menu of treatments which were not outrageously price but not particularly cheap either. The basement hamman is small and seemed to require booking with the reception as it was used as part of the organised treatments; it did not seem possible just to drop in for a while.

Overall, this was a decent enough place. We had just spent a few days in riad in the medina in Essaouria owned by a friend and were grateful for one night of respite from the "authentic Moroccan experience" referenced earlier. Of course this chain hotel will never give you the full Marrakech experience but it provided very good value on our one-night pit-stop. What puzzled me was the pool and the gardens; these were nice enough, but the hotel is not really a resort location, bordered by two main roads. I couldn't imagine spending a week here, certainly. Sofitel is the more established chain in Morocco: there is a good Sofitel in Essaouria, too.

One other minor negative: on arrival, the front door staff are exceptionally keen to wrestle bags out of your hands and serve you Morrocan tea. Easily refused, but we found it irritating and, in a city where one is always being vigilant about personal property, a slightly unsettling way to begin the stay. In contrast, the front desk and the concierge could not have been more helpful.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update, ajamieson, as I'm headed to this property next month with my family for a couple of nights -- albeit as a lowly gold.

Glad to hear that you got renovated rooms. That's been a pretty constant complaint about this property. We'll see if I get lucky, too.

Did you take a taxi from the airport? Was that pretty straightforward? Do you remember the approximate cost? And what about transport into the old city?

I'm used to bellmen snatching my bags upon arrival at luxury hotels in "third world" countries. I rarely need the help, and would probably prefer to wheel my rollerboard, but I simply "play along" because, well, why not? I presume bags are in safe hands at a Le Meridien. Although this is my first trip to Morocco, I understand that everyone plies you with mint tea. It would be a complimentary welcome drink, right?

BTW, my earlier posts indicated that I had booked the C&P rate. It's a good rate, but after emailing the hotel, I found out that it did not include breakfast -- and that breakfast is $24/ per person! Since all their other rates DO include breakfast, like you, I simply switched to a cheap promo deal. But I noticed that not all nights are cheap, so you have to get a bit lucky. We're driving out of Marrakech for the desert and then returning for a night before flying out: I thought of also booking that last night at the N'Fis, but the rate was extremely high. We're trying the Terres M'barka instead (car necessary there).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by iahphx
Did you take a taxi from the airport? Was that pretty straightforward? Do you remember the approximate cost? And what about transport into the old city?
Taxi to the airport was 60 Dirhams, as suggested by the hotel. We walked into the old city, it was about 20 minutes away.
I rarely need the help, and would probably prefer to wheel my rollerboard, but I simply "play along" because, well, why not? I presume bags are in safe hands at a Le Meridien. Although this is my first trip to Morocco, I understand that everyone plies you with mint tea. It would be a complimentary welcome drink, right?
Yes, a welcome drink. Personally, I could live without a welcome that involves having to snatch my bag away from the grip of an aggressive bellman but, yes, there was no harm intended. He didn't get the tip he was after

I have no doubt there are much better properties even among the chains, but we just chose it because of the stay credit and the value. As you noticed, the price varies considerably. If the price isn't right, there is no need to be at the Le Meridien so it sounds like you made the right decision on your respective nights.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tips, ajamieson. In addition to the value, I chose the N'Fis to ease the potential "culture shock" of our arrival into Morocco. It will give us a couple of days to get acclimated, and we can retreat to what I presume are its quiet grounds if Marrakech becomes a bit much.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:10 am

Ill be checking in here tonite for 1 day stay( just about to plat again)
still not upgraded from 2 single bed room

we will see what happens at checkin.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Ill be checking in here tonite for 1 day stay( just about to plat again)
still not upgraded from 2 single bed room

we will see what happens at checkin.
Stayed there twice last month, and both times upgraded to a suite. Wouldn't worry. Just hope that the AC is strong enough to cool down....
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:05 am

at 3pm the upgrade showed as ambassador
the room is nice and the room is cool. had to turn it off
nice view of pool
big fruit bowl and large water.

had I known I would get this room i wouldnt be moving today
didnt hear any mosques either so slept like a dream!( though I think they give the town a bit of ambience)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I will be inbound later this month. Coming in from Casablanca? Anyone do this? The Hyatt forum is very quiet regarding the Casabalnca property. Did anyone arrange for a tour in Marrakesh? With who? Via hotel? Any and all info appreciated. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.