Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien N'Fis, Marrakesh / Marrakech, Morocco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien N'Fis, Marrakesh / Marrakech, Morocco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Le Meridien N'Fis, Marrakesh / Marrakech, Morocco [Master Thread]

Does anybody have experience with this hotel? If so, I'd like to know as I did a search w/o any result. Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
What are you looking to do in Marrakech ? The large hotels are on the outskirts of town. It's much nicer in Marrakech to stay in a Riad in the centre of the Medina. eg: http://www.daranika.com/

Much better to savour the moroccan experience than stay in a generic chain hotel.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:26 am

I stayed there a few years ago.
The hotel is located in the Hivernage residential area. This means 15/20 mn walk from the central square and souks.

The hotel looks nice but is rather noisy (nearby boulevard + thin walls...).
Good service. Food was rather good as well.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: AA
Morocco Starwood Hotels Report

My wife and I (she's Starwood, I'm Marriott) and spent four nights @ Starwood's Meridien N'Fis in Marrakesh and one night @ their Meridien Le Royal Mansour in Casablanca.

Our stay @ the N'Fis in Marrakesh was superb. ^ Every single staff member (including interior secuirty/door men) were warm and friendly. We felt like family visiting our POSH relatives in their home. They say that every organization takes on the personality of the CEO. That could well be true, since Manager Jamal exhibited the same personal warmth and commitment to the hotel guests.

HOWEVER, our stay at Starwood's Royal Mansour Meridien in Casablanca was without a doubt the worst hotel visit we have ever endured. It was Hotel Hell. I will recount some items:
(1) A broken fridge was not repiared but merely swapped with one in the empty next room
(2) The response to a broken thermostat which turned the room into a sauna was not a repair crew but a recommendation that we open the window. The room cooled off but we couldn't sleep from the street noise.
(3) The rooms and hallways were dirty.
(4) There was the unmistakable odor of "scent de la sewer" in the room.
(5) A bottle of wine was missing from the room upon our return from dinner but the "turn down" service never occured.
(6) Only one elevator was working.
(7) Our dinner party of 16 was a disaster: cold food, missing courses, forgotten coffee service and even a worm (protein source?) in a salad.
(8) bellman left luggage in hallway outside elevator not in room.
(9) Doormen didn't open front door if they were busy in conversation with each other.
(10) Front desk staff could have cared less about complaints and when that failed

(11) Mangaement was too busy to come out from their private office for an appeal from the non assistance of the desk staff.

CONCLUSION: WHEN IN MOROCCO:
GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO BOOK THE "MERIDIEN N'FIS" IN MARRAKESH
SLEEP ON STREET BEFORE STAYING AT THE "MERIDIEN ROYAL MANSOUR" IN CASABLANCA

Last edited by JohnE; Feb 16, 2007 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:49 am

Thanks for posting this ....in March we will be at the Le Meridien N'Fis. Nice to hear that you liked the hotel, I was a little concerned. Other reports at FT and Tripadvisor are not that great:
-thin walls .. you can hear people in the next room,
-lots of street-noise (I may ask for a room in the back)
-definitely not a 5-star hotel and so on ....

Last edited by USAFAN; Feb 16, 2007 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:47 am

JohnE:

As posted above, we will stay a couple of days at N'Fis .. and roam around with a rental car for some days (Atlas Mountains etc.)
A have couple of questions:
-How are the restaurants?
-They have a service to/from the airport, did you use it?
-Is there a rental car company at the hotel?
-Is parking free? I found some good rentals at Sixt ...

BTW, you mentioned "Manager Jamal". I googled "N'Fis + Jamal" ... there are plenty of Jamals in Marrakech ... like Smith in the US

Here is a link for a report
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=marrakech

... and thanks for posting your report^
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
The Meridien N'Fis is very close to the airport and there is no reason to pay more than 50 dirhams (should be less but since it is the airport the bargaining gets too tiring).

As Plat I was not upgraded despite paying the full rack rate (due to other properties being sold out) and the rooms were standard, not very comfortable, especially the beds were not up to par. The bathroom however was nicely done with colored tiles and was rather inviting.

There is a lunch restaurant which is decent (not good).
The hair salon/spa was randomly open and did not follow the schedule. The wireless internet was done for 3 days with no attemp to fix it. The concierge was not particularly knowledgable and didn't suggest anything outside the brochures not were the doormen helpful in asking the taxidrivers to use a meter or help negotiate rates.

Not a 5 star property. Unless one deparately needs the stay credit I would highly suggest skipping the Meridien and staying at one of the kasbahs or a nice riyadh such as Riad El Fenn or Riad Farnatchi.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:57 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I don't see why anyone would want to stay in a big chain hotel in Marrakesh. The old town is littered with "Riads" - old converted palaces that are so much nicer than any of the chain hotels in town. And generally cheaper too.

eg.

www.daranika.com

(I have no affiliation with this riad, but just would prefer to see people have a true Morrocan experience !)
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: AA
Lastl Response

Dear Readers and Replyers:

Allow me to thank those of you who found my personal review of the two mentioned hotels informative and/or thought provoking.

As for those comments which I deem haughty or snobbish, I draw three conclusions:
1) Thank God, the U.S. Constitution prohibits the use of titles of class or social positon.
2) Since retiring from a sucessful professional career, my travel report posting is based upon a desire to share knowlege not a need for self promotion or adulation.
3) In the future, I will think twice before wasting my time by posting experiences of the "good, bad and ugly" in travel.

Respectfully,
Hon. JohnE, Esq.

PS. In specific answers to several questions regarding N'Fis:
(1) I do not know about parking on a first hand basis but I did see autos truned over to door staff.
(2) Dining:
(A) Hotel: each morning, breakfast was excellent, as was dinnner on the one night we dined in the hotel.
(B) Restaurants: We found an excellent "Haute Moroccan Cusine" restaurant for a romantic dinner in the Medina: "Stylia" 34 Rue Ksour.
(3) the hotel is a fifteen minute walk or 3 minute taxi ride (15-20 Dhm) to the Medina (old walled city). However, since Marrakesh is Moroc's largest cosmopolitan city, you should also visit the "New City."
(4) The concierge was most helpful on several occasions. Use a guide to find your way through the Medina labyrinth of Souks (shops). Ours was most helpful in the purchase of a "Jalaba" (traditional heavy pullover Caftan worn as an outer garment) for my wife and me.
(5) I don't understand or agree with negative comments about these items:
(A) Noisy Rooms: Rooms are located in a seperate building from the lobby, reception, bar & restaurant building. The two buildings surround an open air Andulusian Garden with a magnificent reflecting pool. There was no street noise and I didn't hear anyone in the next room through "paper thin walls". (Perhaps that only happens on Axe Murder nights). However, do ask for a ground floor room along side the reflecting pool. That way you will have a semi-private patio in the garden.
(B) Uncomfortable Beds: We had a king bed which was firm and well made with proper turn down service. There was unused space in the min-bar, so it could be used as a self service fridge.
(C) Disappointing Room Decor: The decor was in very bright colors, ala Andulusia, with matching drapes accross the full width patio door which opened onto the semi-private veranda. Besides the usual desk and drawers, there were table and chairs both inside and on the patio.

Last edited by JohnE; Feb 19, 2007 at 10:00 am
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:51 pm

JohnE:

I can understand your frustration, some comments didn't 'strike the right chord', to say the least. I actually had a feeling, some fellow FTs have never been to Marrakech (or else), but posting recommendations based on articles in Conde Nast (or else).
You posted an 'eyewitness report', and I am thankful for this! I makes me feel better, and probably no complaints from Mrs. USAFAN, and that's the reason I have chosen a hotel in the modern part of Marrakech and not a Riad ...(may be) endig up in a lousy place in a narrow dark alley. We have two "free nights" (not booked at the N'Fis), and we'll check out some Riads.
BTW, I also wondered, why people complained about street noise after I read your report, that the building with the bedrooms is pretty far away from the street.
Thanks for the recommendation "Stylia". That was one of my 50+ bookmarks regarding Marrakech & Essaouira
Stylia
Adresse : 34, Rue Ksour Médina
Tél. : 024 44 35 87 / 44 05 05
Fax : 024 44 58 37
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
JohnE:

I can understand your frustration, some comments didn't 'strike the right chord', to say the least. I actually had a feeling, some fellow FTs have never been to Marrakech (or else), but posting recommendations based on articles in Conde Nast (or else).
You posted an 'eyewitness report', and I am thankful for this!
I can add to what JohnE had posted. I came back from Meridian N'Fis last month, stayed there with my family (3 young kids) for almost a week.

We LOVED the hotel. It is such a beautiful property. We stayed in rooms 71 and 73, which face the inside courtyard. There was absolute no road noise to speak of. In addition, the service was superb in the hotel. It was a busy hotel. I was very impressed with the way the staff handled the hordes of guests.

To people who say there are much better options in Marrakech inside the medina, I would beg to differ. The medina may be suitable for "some" adult travelers, but I was thankful that I decided against staying inside the old city. When the kids became sensory overloaded, I was glad we could retreat to the Meridian.

By the way, don't eat at the restaurant inside the hotel. It was atrocious. I recommend Le 6 right next to the hotel (200 meters to your right).

Steve
Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Any updates on this property?

How is renting a car in Morocco? Will they accept US drivers licenses?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Any updates on this property?

How is renting a car in Morocco? Will they accept US drivers licenses?
The hotel is O.K. Nice area, but a little remote. (Taxis are not expensive) Very good security, day & night. Nice garden, pool area, which I never used.
It' a little noisy, like Joelle mentioned, but not too bad. From the "noisy side"
of the hotel we a a perfect view of the Atlas mountains.

I rented a car from Sixt with my US drivers license, no problem. Remember, Morocco is NOT Europe or USA. The rental offices at the airport are often closed .. the cars are older, but OK.
Anyway, I liked Morocco a lot. Beautiful country, mostly friendly people.

Don't miss ESSAOUIRA
http://www.morocco-holidays.com/

... and this http://www.kasbahdutoubkal.com/

THE Kasbah du Toubkal, a mountain retreat in the High Atlas outside Marrakesh, is not for the faint of heart or weak of knee. To reach it, you drive up a winding mountain road to the village of Imlil, walk for 20 long minutes up a gravel path, enter a wooden gate and keep walking. But once inside the central garden, you begin to get the point.
We hired two mules in Imlil!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/10/22...22Morocco.html (you have to sign in)
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
I was here last New Year because all other Marrakesh properties were sold out. The bathrooms are nice with mosaic tiles but the rooms are pretty basic and the beds rather uncomfortable. If you need the stay credit maybe you could have one night here and then move on- Marrakesh has so many great properties it's a shame to waste time at the Meridien. Especially the concierge services were either biased or downright bad. I had a lunch buffet which wasn't terrible but not good either.

I stayed at the Riad El Fenn (sister property of Kasbah Tamadout) www.riadelfenn.com which I can highly recommend- housekeeping 3x/day, fabulous courtyards, personalized service, fantastic lounging areas... Other suggestions are Riad Farnatchi and La Palais Rhoul. Staying at the Meridien would, IMO, lessen the Moroccon experience significantly.

I also rented a mule in Imlil- it was very enjoyable to ride around the snow-capped Atlas mountains and you might also want to take a dromedary desert trek. For dining try Toubkal, KosyBar, Bo Zin.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Elena
IStaying at the Meridien would, IMO, lessen the Moroccon experience significantly.
Thanks all for the great information. FYI I would be staying at the LM to lessen the Moroccan *expense* significantly as I would be using Starpoints. To that end, do Platinums get free breakfast at this hotel? Is there a Club?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.