Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allanak
Agreed. The appeal of C&P was that it's a much better redemption value. Factoring in the taxes against on a cash stay, the 30+ day advance non-refundable $111 rate is $131 AI vs 4k points or 3.275 cents per point. While not a bad return, C&P works out to 4.48 cents per point (37% better). This is my first award booking with SPG points, so I'm trying to make them last where it makes sense, assuming some availability opens up.
Well, I'm not sure I'd do the math the exact same way, but if your supply of points is limited, C&P is a good thing to use. (BTW, I think you may be taxed on the "cash" portion, which might make it less of a good deal). Still, unlike the old days, SPG isn't really giving you a "deal" on the cash component, so I can't really imagine it would make any difference in my hotel selection whether a Cat. 2 was offering C&P, or not.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
This hotel is a good deal for cash and points redemption, especially for plat.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, I'm not sure I'd do the math the exact same way, but if your supply of points is limited, C&P is a good thing to use. (BTW, I think you may be taxed on the "cash" portion, which might make it less of a good deal). Still, unlike the old days, SPG isn't really giving you a "deal" on the cash component, so I can't really imagine it would make any difference in my hotel selection whether a Cat. 2 was offering C&P, or not.
You ARE taxed on the cash portion.

I am with you on the Cat 2 C+P isn't that big a deal.

This hotel is down to Cat 2 but the Le Meridien at Kota Kinabalu that is also very popular for redemption, has gone up to Cat 3 this year and it is one very old hotel...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

This hotel is down to Cat 2 but the Le Meridien at Kota Kinabalu that is also very popular for redemption, has gone up to Cat 3 this year and it is one very old hotel...
My understanding is the LM KK is suppose to go through renovations but doesn't make sense to up the category before the renovations are completed or started.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
My understanding is the LM KK is suppose to go through renovations but doesn't make sense to up the category before the renovations are completed or started.
But, of course, it's not really a question of the "niceness" of the hotel -- it's a question of room rates.

Siem Reap has cheap hotel rates; Kota Kinabalu has surprisingly expensive rates. I think this "flip" in categories makes sense: I avoided the Le Meridien in Siem Reap as a Cat. 3 because it was much cheaper to buy a room at a different 4-5 star hotel. In contrast, I jumped on the opportunity to stay at the mediocre LM KK as a Cat. 2.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Any recent reports to add and any suggestions on tour guides and restaurants appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The property emailed me to inform me of major renovation works to take place between 17 April and 31 July 2015.

Pipes are being replaced. Whole wings will be closed while the works are ongoing. It's expected to be noisy during the daytime.

Was offered free breakfast as compensation, which is a bit of a joke considering I am platinum. ..
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I strongly recommend the Best Western, the owner lives on the property and is very nice. They pay for taxi service for you to and from airport and into town. They are remote enough to not be noisy and they have a wall around the property. Each cabana has a private pool and deck overlooking the pond. The breakfast is excellent.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Any recent reports to add and any suggestions on tour guides and restaurants appreciated.
we used the hotel car and driver plus a tour guide. the service was incredible. the driver had cold towels and ice cold water waiting for us every time we got back to the car. the car was a smaller ford SUV, an escape maybe? we did two days of temples and were thrilled. it was 36 deg C and humidity you had to swim through. of course you can find something cheaper but at these prices i didn't search to save ten bucks.

one night we ate at a restaurant called the Haven which has an interesting purpose. they train people in professional service, like a hotel school does, so they can get good jobs. food was good. kitchen open so you could see that the sanitary conditions were also good. run by a couple of swiss.
http://www.haven-cambodia.com/
read the "about haven" section.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BenSenise
we used the hotel car and driver plus a tour guide. the service was incredible. the driver had cold towels and ice cold water waiting for us every time we got back to the car. the car was a smaller ford SUV, an escape maybe? we did two days of temples and were thrilled. it was 36 deg C and humidity you had to swim through. of course you can find something cheaper but at these prices i didn't search to save ten bucks.

one night we ate at a restaurant called the Haven which has an interesting purpose. they train people in professional service, like a hotel school does, so they can get good jobs. food was good. kitchen open so you could see that the sanitary conditions were also good. run by a couple of swiss.
http://www.haven-cambodia.com/
read the "about haven" section.
Did you go through the hotel car and driver or their contracted tour services? We were looking at the tour services...but if they have their own driver and tour guide...this is an option I want to explore...did you do this onsite or prior to arrival. thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by singtx
Did you go through the hotel car and driver or their contracted tour services? We were looking at the tour services...but if they have their own driver and tour guide...this is an option I want to explore...did you do this onsite or prior to arrival. thanks!
Why would you want to use the hotel's own driver? You do realize that getting information about quality drivers is not difficult. I'd start looking at tripadvisor and pick the top three recommended agencies that have lots of reviews. You'll get an experience that is at least equal to what the hotel would provide, at a fraction of the cost.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Why would you want to use the hotel's own driver?
Lots of reasons. It's easy peazy. Management in place, convenient and easily identifiable in case something is unsatisfactory. Since you're already a guest (read customer), management also has an incentive for dealing promptly and effectively with any problems.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 18, 2014 at 5:33 am Reason: Correct grammar typo.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by singtx
We used the hotel car and driver and the guide was from somewhere else. I don't go hunting for bargains when the prices are already so low. I want convenience and accountability. Going through the hotel proceeded us with both.
We made the mistake of going with a third party driver in Beijing and regretted it. The car was horrible and the driver was a maniac. In Xi'an, we used the hotel car, an Audi A6, and the driver was excellent. You get what you pay for.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:16 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
well usually the service is outsourced to third party provider....
i think the hotels don't want to be responsible in cases of accidents....

But i also had better experience with drivers of "hotel limo" than other "cheaper" third party providers ( i think some drivers don't get any training at all ).

But what car is LM Angkor using ?

We will be there in January for some days...
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Why would you want to use the hotel's own driver? You do realize that getting information about quality drivers is not difficult. I'd start looking at tripadvisor and pick the top three recommended agencies that have lots of reviews. You'll get an experience that is at least equal to what the hotel would provide, at a fraction of the cost.
I'd actually advise against using TA for Siem Reap. Sadly many restaurants and other establishments have figured out how to game the system.

When a resto has 90%+ 5 stars and many of the reviews are similar it sends up red flags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.