Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:49 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by uxb
Sorry for the OMNI rant. Back on topic, new driver was better and earned a $10 tip, which may or may not be a lot of money in Cambodia. I'm leaning toward no only because everything costs $1 regardless of how big or small it is. :-P
I paid my moto driver 16/day so a 10 dollar tip seems like it would make someone very happy!

BTW my mothers family were in the show business. Never saw them grouped with terrorists or murderers before. Sidewalk tailor touts on the other hand...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:07 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I paid my moto driver 16/day so a 10 dollar tip seems like it would make someone very happy!

BTW my mothers family were in the show business. Never saw them grouped with terrorists or murderers before. Sidewalk tailor touts on the other hand...
$16 a day??? You got off cheap. I paid my car driver $45 for day one and $55 for day two (excl. tip). Day 1 driver got squat for tip. As for the shoe bit, that's an old "Married With Children" joke. I'm a child of the 80s and 90s.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by uxb
$16 a day??? You got off cheap. I paid my car driver $45 for day one and $55 for day two (excl. tip). Day 1 driver got squat for tip. As for the shoe bit, that's an old "Married With Children" joke. I'm a child of the 80s and 90s.
I paid 25 the day I used a car.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
BTW my mothers family were in the show business.
You really got me confused about how show business came into the discussion...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You really got me confused about how show business came into the discussion...
I think he made a typo.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
uxb

I paid 25 the day I used a car.
Like I said... I got ripped.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I think he made a typo.
Yeah, shoe business.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by uxb
It's not that Yosithezet got off cheap but rather that you accepted a vastly inflated price.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:31 am
uxb

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's not that Yosithezet got off cheap but rather that you accepted a vastly inflated price.
Apparently. I think I'm possibly going through the same thing now w/ my upcoming stay at W Bali, and despite being a Bahasa-speaker. I think I'm gonna cut my losses and move that stay elsewhere.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Toula
Interesting to hear a different perspective. We thought the breakfast was dire. Not a wide selection of fresh fruits as we have come to expect from the LM brand in Asia. The yoghurt was terrible, no omelette station, lots of breads and the type. They did have very tasty pastries tho which was the saving grace. I would actually classify this breakfast as being on par with the Aloft Bangkok which I thought would be hard to match given how bad that was.

As for drinks in the evening, this seems to be tarnished with the same level of poor service experienced in the restaurant. Staff are lovely and very friendly, but they go totally AWOL. They would greet and seat and hand a menu and disappear. They would be standing around chatting and you could probably stand on top of the table and they probably would not notice. Despite being one of the few guests in the dining room I had to get out of my seat and go to the podium to ask to order. In the bar for happy hour ordered cocktails and waited and waited. Finally received our drinks after the 3 tables who ordered after us. As Plat also ordered free snacks. Snacks were delivered to the lounge they then tried to give them to each of the other 3 tables but couldn't work it out so left them on the bar. No one came to ask if we wanted another drink or if everything was fine with what we had. Service to me felt like the kids had been left I. Their own without any suitable adult supervision. However throughout my journey in Cambodia customer service has been at the lower end of the scale when it comes to dining.

They do offer food at the restaurant with a 15% discount for SPG members. Despite thinking breakfast was terrible I have to say the rest of their food is good. Some of the best deserts I have had for ages.

The Spa services are ok, can't say they blew me away. Once again great staff but having recently used the Spa at LM Chiang Mai and Sheraton Pattaya I felt Siem Reap came across as the poor cousin.

Despite what seems to be a lot of negatives I would stay at this property again as I do like and the staff overall do try hard.
We were upgraded to a suite so the start of the stay was great!

Wow! Our bar experience was top notch...they were on top of our drinks and food every single time. Maybe our son had something to do with it...as they all ended up playing with him or talking to him...I even watched some "boxing" with the bar staff one night.
You're correct on the spa services....nothing to write home about. Breakfast was good. Korean pancakes made to order, they were always cutting fresh fruit while we were there and the manager or chef always came over to say hi to our son and refresh our coffee.

Despite a few issues...I would stay for the customer service...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:42 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by singtx
We were upgraded to a suite so the start of the stay was great!

Wow! Our bar experience was top notch...they were on top of our drinks and food every single time. Maybe our son had something to do with it...as they all ended up playing with him or talking to him...I even watched some "boxing" with the bar staff one night.
You're correct on the spa services....nothing to write home about. Breakfast was good. Korean pancakes made to order, they were always cutting fresh fruit while we were there and the manager or chef always came over to say hi to our son and refresh our coffee.

Despite a few issues...I would stay for the customer service...
I also thought the customer service was great on a whole, but I must agree with Toula that restaurant service was slow. I didn't mind as much because there's only so many things you can see and do in Siemreab. I also wanted to mention that most of their Cambodian/SE Asia meals lacked any flavour, and the cocktail hour snacks were just plain bad for you. Got sick off their spring rolls on the first night. My room was quite pleasant and clean, which was the most important factor for my stay. I'd return here if I ever wanted to see the ruins again.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
I didn't mind as much because there's only so many things you can see and do in Siemreab.
Yeah, like several hundred 800+ yo temples.

For those who recently stayed, is the Plat drink list in the lounge still relegated to beer and rice wine cocktails?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:58 pm
uxb

Yeah, like several hundred 800+ yo temples.

For those who recently stayed, is the Plat drink list in the lounge still relegated to beer and rice wine cocktails?
Do you visit every church or Shinto shrine on your trips to Italy or Japan? Didn't think so!

In re: drinks, I got a Bombay and tonic, so I don't think so. However, I didn't study the menu like it was the Torah.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Do you visit every church or Shinto shrine on your trips to Italy or Japan? Didn't think so!

In re: drinks, I got a Bombay and tonic, so I don't think so. However, I didn't study the menu like it was the Torah.
When you've been to REP 15+ times (and live relatively proximal) you see a lot. Some of it very cool and eerily empty.

Anyway, on my stay earlier this year draught beer and rice wine cocktails were the only gratis drinks. In a country where a liter of Stoli is $11 and the same of Bombay Sapphire $14 I thought that was chintzy.

And my studying of bar menus far exceeds any torah studying I've done since, well, I was 13.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:48 am
uxb

When you've been to REP 15+ times (and live relatively proximal) you see a lot. Some of it very cool and eerily empty.

Anyway, on my stay earlier this year draught beer and rice wine cocktails were the only gratis drinks. In a country where a liter of Stoli is $11 and the same of Bombay Sapphire $14 I thought that was chintzy.

And my studying of bar menus far exceeds any torah studying I've done since, well, I was 13.
REP 15+ times??? Once was plenty for me. I often say "SE Asia gets me," and it's true. The flavours of Thai, Malay and Indonesian are personal favs. My first ever trip abroad was to Indonesia, so I guess I was hooked early on. Cambodian food and people? They both sucked the big one.

I spoke with the property's GM briefly by E-mail. The tour desk is a third-party operator. They've informed me that any driver caught offering prostitution or drugs to the guests will be summarily dismissed, and that has been their policy. As a result, driver no. 1 was handed his walking papers with the added caveat that he was reported to the police. Obviously, I don't feel great about the situation, but I would've felt worse if I said nothing, and something happened down the road.

P. S. Chag hanukkah sameach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.