Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection, Chapel Hill, NC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

Marriott's Autograph Collection is growing again. This time, it's The Siena Hotel, a 79-room luxury boutique hotel in Chapel Hill, NC. From the press release, dated September 10, 2013:
Inspired by the beauty of Italy, The Siena Hotel, located in beautiful Chapel Hill North Carolina, adds its distinctive European character to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC area. A AAA Four Diamond hotel and restaurant recipient since 1987, travelers that step through the doors of this elegant Tuscan villa discover a luxurious décor with hand-selected European antiques, Italian marble floors and majestic columns, against a backdrop of rich colors and fabrics.
It's great to see the Autograph Collection gaining such excellent properties. The Siena Hotel is currently ranked number one in Chapel Hill on TripAdvisor.

The press release also includes two other other new additions to the Autograph Collection: The Lexington, New York, NY (which already has its own thread on the Marriott Rewards forum on FlyerTalk) and the Castle Hotel, Orlando, FL (which has already been mentioned in Master thread for new hotels and disposales! on the Marriott Rewards forum on FlyerTalk).
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So, is it actually open? If so, hopefully someone will do a trip report after they've stayed there.

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So, is it actually open? If so, hopefully someone will do a trip report after they've stayed there.

Cheers.
It's been open since 1987. Nice property.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by vatraveler
It's been open since 1987. Nice property.
I meant as Marriott. Thanks for the update. Hopefully we'll get a trip report post Marriott taking over.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:37 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Question

I am sitting in the bar this very moment. My first impressions are totally positive. One of my favourite hotels in this area is the O.Henry in Greensboro; this seems to be on a par. My room is beautifully furnished with king bed, arm chair, love seat with stools and more. The bathroom looks great, with a large shower cubicle.

The bar is small, with a very comfortable seating area on the other side of the main door.

They offer a shuttle service to Chapel Hill and Carrboro, so plenty of access to bars and restaurants without need to drive.

I have tried many of the Marriott properties in the area, this is really superior. Rate of $169 is very good as well, but not the cheapest.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Looks like a great prop. Maybe I'll make a trip next March.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by squeeler
I am sitting in the bar this very moment. My first impressions are totally positive. One of my favourite hotels in this area is the O.Henry in Greensboro; this seems to be on a par. My room is beautifully furnished with king bed, arm chair, love seat with stools and more. The bathroom looks great, with a large shower cubicle.

The bar is small, with a very comfortable seating area on the other side of the main door.

They offer a shuttle service to Chapel Hill and Carrboro, so plenty of access to bars and restaurants without need to drive.

I have tried many of the Marriott properties in the area, this is really superior. Rate of $169 is very good as well, but not the cheapest.
Do they have an exec lounge? If not, do they offer brekkie coupons? If they offer brekkie coupons, are they for cont'l brekkie or full brekkie? If cont'l, is there an upcharge to full & if so, what is it? Please post & I'll add the property to the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi Sharon

No lounge. I was offered 750 points or free breakfast.

There were restricted breakfast options on the menu for people who had a 'bed & breakfast' deal. The a la carte was not cheap - I ran up a bill of $30 quite easily.

One of the things I loved was the peace and quiet. I could not hear the chap upstairs using the loo; there was no banging of doors. I realised I was in an upgraded corner room, which may have made a difference.

I have booked my next stay in the area at the Siena. So much better than the other Marriott sub-brands. Happy to stand anyone a drink who has a bad time here!

Oh, and the breakfast hostess was from Bristol, UK. Lovely lass.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Checking out of the Siena this morning, and I must say it is a great option for the Chapel Hill or Durham area. Check-in was quick, and I received a very warm welcome. The staff member even offered to bring me some drinks. He showed up a few minutes later in my room with 4 full size, complimentary bottles of water.

Couple of other notes:

*Great upscale soaps and shampoos: "Treatments", a Hunter Amenities Brand
*On site gym is very small, but as a guest, you have free access to two local gyms, the YMCA (with an olympic size swimming pool), and Kinetix Fitness.
*As previous posters mentioned, a full breakfast is free for elites, which includes room service! Breakfast was great, with most of the ingredients (meat, eggs, produce) sourced from the local area.
*Parking is free
*And my favorite--the hotel has a permanent corn hole (bean bag game) setup out front.

Overall, a great experience and I will be sure to return the next time I am in the area.

Last edited by mjh5o; Oct 21, 2013 at 7:56 am
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just spent two nights here.

Property has pros and cons. Positives:

1. Rooms are spacious and well furnished.
2. Breakfast benefit is really excellent for a Marriott. Food quality was very high and the coffee is outstanding.
3. Free parking.
4. Very friendly staff.
5. Privileges at the local Y.
6. Fantastic running on trails that are half a block away.

Negatives:

1. Doors open directly into the room. My bed was maybe eight feet from the door. I really don't like this. Although the noise from the corridor wasn't as bad as I feared it might be.
2. Hotel fronts on E. Franklin, a major thoroughfare. So at least half the rooms will have lots of traffic noise during the day. Chapel Hill dies at night, so not really an issue for sleep.
3. Late night/early morning staff was pretty clueless. Could not explain the breakfast benefit. Daytime staff much more professional.
4. No bathtub.
5. The fitness center on property is kind of a joke (but Y is only 5 minute drive away).

If I stayed here again, I would ask for a room in the back, away from the traffic noise. Would also try to get one of the higher room classes in the hope they have an entryway separating door from room.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:14 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold
Nice Stay on Franklin Street

Recently stayed for one night. As a Plat was upgraded to a junior suite. Suite was beautiful with 2 chaise couches and a large bathroom. Very good service overall and the food in the restaurant is tremendous. Only negative was a bunch of teenagers attending a function in one of the ballrooms that were hanging out in the lobby and very loud. The lobby area is not that large so the noise definitely impacted our ability to enjoy a cocktail in the adjacent bar. Also received free breakfast in the restaurant for being platinum.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:53 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Would also try to get one of the higher room classes in the hope they have an entryway separating door from room.
I had two recent stays here, one in a "Studio Suite" and one in a "Large Studio Suite".

Both rooms had the entryway open directly into the room though the bed in the "Large Studio Suite" is tucked into a small alcove so not directly by the door.

However, hallway noise was not an issue on either stay.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Platinum Benefits

Perhaps most interested in hearing about the breakfast options and the potential for an upgrade. One review from more then a year mentioned that it was "grandfathered" in so it does not offer any benefits to platinums. Still - looks like a nice hotel to stay at for the college tour slog but I just want to get an understanding of what to expect. Many thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3galsontour
One review from more then a year mentioned that it was "grandfathered" in so it does not offer any benefits to platinums.
huh? All the reports in this thread (including mine) confirm elite breakfast benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.