Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:16 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
...A Cork Do would be a great idea and very well attended.^
If the timing was right, I would be up for that. But, I really can't commit to anything outside the U. S. until May of next year.

Even so, I'd better start the application process for my passport today so I'll have it in time for the trip.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Ok, if nobody minds I have emailed James at the hotel to sound out a potential Fota do down the line. It would be worth it to get Lurker over to Europe if nothing else!

Will keep you all posted.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I'd be keen on this, too.

I love Cork - Ireland's best city by a long way
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If the timing was right, I would be up for that. But, I really can't commit to anything outside the U. S. until May of next year.

Even so, I'd better start the application process for my passport today so I'll have it in time for the trip.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
I know it's a long way off but if William can push it back to May 08, can we make it after the July 4th holiday so I can attend?? The only time I really can't travel for pleasure is March-July4th every year. So this fall/winter works for me but I'd also like to meet Lurker.
Shall we call it the "Pop the Cork DO"?tm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:36 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I know it's a long way off but if William can push it back to May 08, can we make it after the July 4th holiday so I can attend?? The only time I really can't travel for pleasure is March-July4th every year. So this fall/winter works but I'd also like to meet Lurker.
Shall we call it the "Pop the Cork DO"?tm
I don't really care when this is scheduled. I just can't commit to anything international until May 2008. That would be the soonest that I could attend something like this. Later might even be better, but I also want to go at a time where I can get a good airfare to Scotland for the first leg of the trip.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:45 pm

Noted and noted guys. We'll see what feedback we get from the hotel.

First name suggestion too.....
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Only 3 more days!

We check in on the 25th! I can't wait. Drove by the grounds last week during our tour day to Cork. What a beautiful golf course. Hubby's drooling...James has helped with arranging a Tee time for Thursday.
Eileen
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
We're doing cash + points for four nights in August. Looking forward to it very much. Any must do's as far as sightseeing goes in the area (we'll have a rental car). Or things that are over rated that we should stay away from? Ethnic restaurant recommendations (Indian, Thai, etc.) would also be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Wow, you all have really gotten me thinking.

I'm leaving tonight for Ireland and after staying in the Westin Dublin from July 26-29th, have reservations for two nights at the Kilkenny Rivert Court hotel. But now I'm thinking about cancelling that and spending those two nights at the Fota. My husband loves golf and I love big bathrooms and suite upgrades! Plus Cork sounds like a neat place.

Any advice would be appreciated from those in the know. I've been to Ireland before but not Kilkenny or Cork.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 4:28 pm

Some thoughts...

The Waterford Crystal tour was very good, if you like crystal. There are no seconds - they melt the mistakes! Very nice showroom and a collection of "Not available in the US" booklet to check out. Blarney isn't far. We did the Castle and grounds while with the tour. While there are over 700 steps, it was so busy when we were there, there was plenty of resting time on the way up. According to my hubby, I didn't need the certificate I got for Kissing the stone! We're going back to the Blarney Woolen Mills. It's supposed to be the main "Outlet" store. If it's not, I'll let you know. The store has many other things besides woolens. The cost of living is much higher than I had anticipated. In Western NY I can do lunch for around $7.50 USD. The same things here are about 9.95 Euros. Exchange rate today was USD 1.42 = Euro 1. But everything is "Grand" non-the-less.
2 more nights to Fota...

Eileen
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:03 pm

James is THE man!! After all he was able to do for me in setting up my hubby's surprise round of golf in Ireland, we were astounded at the accomodations he arranged for us. We didn't arrive till way after 6PM, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see him. Dinner was delicious, the views unbelievable! We're ready to start saving for a return visit. Non of the pictures does it justice.
Eileen
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by EileenSRN
James is THE man!!
You speak the truth. He's the best!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:25 pm

Fota Island without a car

Has anyone stayed at this Sheraton without a car? If so, is there any public transportation on island, or do you have to take a taxi? We hope to take day tours.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by adgtravel
Has anyone stayed at this Sheraton without a car? If so, is there any public transportation on island, or do you have to take a taxi? We hope to take day tours.
I stayed and had a car, so I didn't have to rely on public transport. I don't remember seeing any public buses stopping near by to the hotel, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

The train line to Cork does stop at Fota station, but I suspect this may be a reasonable distance away and probably not walkable. It might be a short taxi ride to and from the train station, which can then get you easily to Cork and other attractions.

It is probably best to get in contact with the hotel directly and ask for their feedback in lieu of a definitive answer from the board.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:58 pm

Pop the Cork Do

Ladies and Gentlemen, just to formally follow-up on the talk about a do at Fota Island as suggested earlier in the thread.

After some discussion with James at Fota Island, we have tentatively set Friday 6th to Sunday 8th June 2008 as the date for the 'Pop the Cork Do' (thanks fireworksboy for the name)

So as not to inappropriately post on this thread going forward, here's the link to the official Do thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726451

Thanks,

RAPC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.