Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]

GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]

Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow GONE: Sheraton Fota Resort, Cork, Ireland [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051117/20051117005695.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Starwood Announces a New Sheraton Luxury Resort in Cork, Ireland Scheduled to Open in Spring 2006
Thursday November 17, 1:07 pm ET
Sheraton Fota Island Golf Resort & Spa Will Be Starwood's Second Irish Property

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) announces its second property in Ireland scheduled to open in spring 2006, with the newly constructed Sheraton Fota Island Golf Resort & Spa, Cork. Starwood and property company Fleming Construction have signed a management agreement to develop the 133-room luxury Sheraton resort, on scenic Fota Island in County Cork, located on the southern Irish coast.

The hotel is being constructed on the site of the existing Fota Island Golf Club - home of the Irish Open in 2001 and 2002. In addition to the championship golf course, hotel and lodge, guests will also enjoy the full service destination Spa with 17 treatment rooms, a specialty restaurant, a full-service dining restaurant and Whiskey Bar in one of the most idyllic settings in Ireland. The resort will also ultimately include over 250 luxury residential lodges.

Fota Island is a scenic island in Cork Harbor, just north of the larger island of Cobh. Located 20 minutes from Cork Airport, the new hotel will be a great location from which vacationers to explore southern Ireland, while also taking advantage of all the facilities that are offered to resort guests. The island is also host to Ireland's only wildlife park - as well as Fota House, an historic 18th century hunting lodge renowned for its breathtaking gardens.

"We are thrilled to be opening another hotel in Ireland," said Roeland Vos, President, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Europe, Middle East & Africa. "Since the opening of The Westin Dublin in 2001, we have been looking for other opportunities in this market. This hotel increases Starwood's commitment to Ireland, while further expanding on the wonderful resorts we can offer our guests around the world."

"We chose Sheraton because it is a great brand to be working with on this project," said John Fleming, Managing Director, Fleming Construction. "Fota Island is already highly regarded as a golf destination - the new hotel, residential lodge development and extensive spa facilities will really add to the appeal of this part of Ireland for leisure, incentive and conference business. With Starwood already having a presence in Ireland and a proven track record with the success of The Westin Dublin, they make an ideal hotel management partner for us."

In June 2006 Fota Island golf course is hosting the AIB Irish Seniors Open Golf Championship. With the launch of the new resort, the existing PGA-endorsed golf course will be enhanced by the provision of an additional nine holes of championship caliber standards, creating a world-class golf destination, with challenging features to test the skills of any golfer.

The Sheraton Fota Island Golf Resort & Spa will also offer a world-class destination spa, designed by Dr. Christian Jost, a noted European spa consultant. The spa will include 17 state-of-the-art treatment rooms, a hydropool, walking river, gymnasium, swimming pool and conservatory for post-treatment relaxation.

The hotel is less than six miles from Cork City, which is the current European Capital of Culture. The surrounding corporate business parks house many international companies such as Motorola, Black & Decker, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson. For events and meetings, the hotel will offer six meeting rooms, with a capacity to accommodate groups ranging from 6 to 500 people. The hotel's location and stunning views also make it the ideal venue for weddings and gala events.

In addition to The Westin Dublin, Starwood Hotels & Resorts currently operate nine hotels in the UK & Ireland, including The Westin Turnberry Resort, Ayrshire; the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh; The Park Lane Hotel, Piccadilly; the Sheraton Park Tower, Knightsbridge and the Sheraton Heathrow.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Thinking of staying here

I'm going to be in Ireland on vacation in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take me to get to the city center (or train station) from the hotel, and had any idea of how much a taxi might be? What I'm really asking is, if I don't plan on renting a car, does it still make sense to use this hotel as a base to explore Southern Ireland? (for a $5 cab fee, I'm in. for a $20 cab fee, I'm probably better of paying to stay downtown and saving the points). I've tried e-mailing the hotel, but so far no reply (not a shocker that they're pretty busy right now). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. I do have the Westin booked for the Dublin/East coast portion of my trip.
Old May 10, 2006, 6:23 pm

Dear Steve23,

I am the Assistant Front Office Manager at the Sheraton Fota Island hotel, and have sent you a PM with some further information, and my email address. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Regards

James Doherty
Assistant Front Office Manager
Sheraton Fota Island Golf Resort and Spa
Old May 22, 2006, 7:24 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I would wait until staying here

HI all,

I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Fota Island. I must say, that this hotel has excellent staff. They are very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is missing a lot of things though, and I wouldn't stay again for at least 3 more months. The rooms only had one chair near the table, and no desk chair at all. I was told that they are both still on order. The room also had no garbage can. The spa and fitness center (including indoor pool) were all still being built when I was there. The phone systems were often down, and when I needed to make a really important business call, I couldn't get a single outside line at the hotel, really disappointing considering it is a business hotel. I ended up having to drive for a while to find a phone after waiting an hour, and still having the phones not work. The breakfast was fair, as they were still working out a lot of issues.

Overall the hotel is beautiful, and the SPA looks like it is going to be nice. I would stay at this hotel, but I would give them more time to work out the issues. It seemed to me as if the hotel shouldn't have been open yet. The staff was really working hard to make up for a lot of the problems. When the phones weren't working in the rooms, they let me call from the front desk. I just couldn't believe they didn't get a working phone system up before the hotel opened. As a platinum I did not get upgraded, as the suites have not been built yet. I was given a platinum gift of two bottles of relish, and they gave me a set of 4 prints from an Irish artist which are nice.

The golf course, is very nice, but they do require you to wear golf shoes, no tennis shoes allowed. This is very strict, Air France lost my luggage, and I was not allowed to golf there. My dad did golf, and he liked the course.

I hope this helps other out, and if you have any questions, please send me a PM.

Cheers,

Timo
Old May 23, 2006, 6:50 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by timo469
I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Fota Island. I must say, that this hotel has excellent staff. They are very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is missing a lot of things though, and I wouldn't stay again for at least 3 more months.
Thanks for the report Timo ^

Is there a bridge so one can drive their car to the hotel or does one need to take a boat ?

--
Old May 24, 2006, 1:55 am

I didn't actual see much water at all near the hotel. You drive right up to the front door, no bridges or boats to take.

Cheers,

Timo
Old May 24, 2006, 6:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I didn't actual see much water at all near the hotel. You drive right up to the front door, no bridges or boats to take.
so is this really an "island" ?

--
Old May 24, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmd4211
Dear Steve23,

I am the Assistant Front Office Manager at the Sheraton Fota Island hotel, and have sent you a PM with some further information, and my email address. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Regards

James Doherty
Assistant Front Office Manager
Sheraton Fota Island Golf Resort and Spa
You've left Dublin? What are we going to do on our next FT DO??

Maybe a DO in Cork is in order ^
Old May 27, 2006, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Moomba
You've left Dublin? What are we going to do on our next FT DO??

Maybe a DO in Cork is in order ^
I think that a Doo in Cork should definitely be done! Its not far off being a stunning property with a fantaqstic spa and top class golf. Cork City is only 15 minutes away by car, so it could be the next venue for you all......
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Cork trip report

I just returned from Cork (I did end up at the Sheraton) and have only raves about the property. The bathrooms are huge with separate tub and shower, and a nice powerful showerhead to boot. The food at the restaurant was excellent, and the service was superior for such a new resort. Although I didn't have a chace to play, the golf course is beautiful. The decor is fabulous as well - it does a nice job of blending what I as an American tourist would call "Irish country estate" with a more modern and comfortable feel.

My taxis into the city were about a 20 minute ride and cost 20-25 Euro, but on a couple of occassions it took awhile to call a cab to the hotel.

On the other hand, although the location of the Westin in Dublin was great, the room I had could only be described as "shabby," with peeling paint everywhere and an odd musty smell whenever I started the shower. Also, for some reason they've placed a bamboo plant right in front of the bathroom mirror above the sink, and every time I moved it the maid moved it right back the next morning. Oh well - can't win 'em all.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steve23
I just returned from Cork (I did end up at the Sheraton) and have only raves about the property.
I am glad to see that it sounds like they are working out the issues very fast. Like I said in my report, the hotel looks like it will be very nice.

Thanks for the update.

Timo
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:08 am

I am glad to see that it sounds like they are working out the issues very fast. Like I said in my report, the hotel looks like it will be very nice.

Thanks for the update.

Timo
Without wanting to wear my Sheraton Hat too blatantly, I have to say that we have made Giant strides in the past 2 weeks. We are currently hosting the Irish Seniors Golf Open, and the whole place looks absolutely stunning in 24 degree sunshine!!
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
Thumbs up Recent visit to this property

Trip report. . . I visited this property last week and would highly recommend it. The hotel is extremely modern (almost incongruously so with the landscape) and had the nicest bathrooms of any hotel I've stayed in. The hotel is still working out a few kinks (ex: the pool wasn't heating properly, the concierge didn't have a map of the island), but it was still a wonderful stay. The staff was top-notch - everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. For instance, we decided we wanted to take a day trip to Mizen Head, and the concierge not only arranged an automatic car for us to rent but spent over an hour printing out detailed driving directions and giving my husband advice on where to stop along the way.

If you're visiting, I'd definitely rent a car (the hotel is on the opposite end of the island from the train station), and would also recommend exploring the wildlife reserve located on the island as well as going to see the nearby castle. There are definitely more attrations on the island than just the golf!

Overall, two thumbs up. Beautiful location, nicely built property, decent-sized rooms, and friendly staff. What more can you ask for?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by jmd4211
The hotel is indeed open - has been so since the 5th May - thanks for pointing out the error on the website. The hotel is fully operational, save for some of the suites and the gourmet restaurant, which hopefully will be operational before long.

Have a look at us here: sheraton.com/cork

Feel free to ask me any question that you may have about the property.
jmd4211

I am in the midst of planning a vacation to Ireland next July (07) for a friend's wedding, and was thinking of staying at this property. If around Jul 15-19, is this likely to co-incide with any major gold tournaments you may be hosting, or anything else I should be aware of?

Also, if we based ourselves at the property and have a rental car, what would you say is a reasonable surrounding area we could explore without moving to other hotels? Our end point (the wedding) is in Galway, so in theory could we stay in Cork at the property and explore, and then drive up to Galway in time for the wedding?

Also, if driving into Cork, is the parking situation reasonable?

thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Alect,

a couple of locations that come to mind and would be within a days return driving from Cork would be Lismore, Kenmare, Bantry, Kinsale and Waterford.

If you need anymore info let me know (my wife was based in Cork for 9 months so we got to do a fair bit our touring around the area).

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.