Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:04 am

Does anyone who is gold checked in this hotel? do you get upgraded? Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Does anybody have a recent experience with how the hotel's deals with the Platinum Breakfast amenity? Last report from the "How properties treat.."-thread is from 2012 and sound disgusting and in fact not compliant with the requirements, but since these reports are not really recent I thought I might see if things changed since this. Might be a trigger for me either to stay there or not in January.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:15 am

Since January and my stay is approaching fast...any update on the Platinum breakfast at this Hotel?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 am

I stayed there last summer. Platinum Breakfast is very weak. grab and go type. it always amazes me on how a big and nice hotel in the USA offer such weak BF. Last week I was in Florida and Texas. most hotels I stayed at offer continental BF buffet but can upgrade to full buffet for 4-5 dollar. . I can't believe this is happening in the USA

some properties in the US do it the right way- Real BF^ ( like in Europe, Asia and ME) but unfortunately most properties in the US do it in what I call it -Funny Way

anyhow, it is a great property. I always take the points and eat outside.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yolie
Does anyone who is gold checked in this hotel? do you get upgraded? Thanks
I'm gold and stay at this hotel about 20 nights a year. I usually get a nice room but only got upgraded twice in the last two years. I don't ask to be upgraded since the standard rooms are quite nice.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:44 am

Just completed a stay there. Overall a nice hotel. But the Plat "breakfast" benefit is either some 'Grab&Go' (which I didn't use), or a USD9 discount sit-down. That covers coffee, which is USD6.... overall a big joke, since their continental breakfast, which is the theoretical benefit, is USD17.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
I checked out this property for potential future stays visiting NYC. As others have suggested, the location is fantastic - on the PATH, with convenient service to both the WTC and NY Penn Station (NB The station is at 33rd & 6th Avenue).
Newport is also the terminus for NJ Light Rail, which has its own tix. & I did not use.

The rates are not great. On spghotescapes, I have seen $174 lately compared to the Element in Harrison for $134 and the Sheraton Parsippany for $109.

The weak Plat breakfast amenity is a real bummer. For a long stay (5 nights), I would rather have brekkie than the 500 points. If any FT has a hotel contact, PM me thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:16 am

Reporting back from my stay (sorry for the time-lag), I had contacted the hotel in advance indicating that they were not in compliance with the SPG-rules based on the grab-and-go menu they provided to me, so in the end they agreed to add a continental breakfast voucher for two for each night of my stay valid at their restaurant.

When we came down to use them we were told we could have anything off the menu for that and were - except for our tips - never charged anything. So either their mind has changed or my eMail had them make an exception for me. Anyhow - I was pretty happy with the outcome, and the breakfast was really good each morning.

There were other things I disliked, however, i.e. the fact that the have printer-on-net at the front-desk (free), however when being asked how to print out something they just pointed to their business-center where usage of PCs and printers is for-fee only. Also they have a package-delivery fee that (at least in the past) was not disclosed on spg.com.

Other than that the location was perfect for our needs and we really enjoyed our stay there. Renting a car on the days we needed one was very easy with both Avis and Hertz having locations close by (National&Alamo as well, but we did not use them). Knowing the kinks there now I probably will come back next January if I can get a good rate there again (payed $117 or so per night this year Thursday to Sunday).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Newport is also the terminus for NJ Light Rail, which has its own tix. & I did not use.
NOBODY uses the Light Rail except people living in Hoboken and working in JC.

Source: I live on a Light Rail stop.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation points of comparison

While I agree the location of this property (on PATH) is great, I cancelled my 5-night points stay and switched to the Sheraton New York property. My rationale:
- I have no reason to go to Jersey City other than a place to stay;
- the Sheraton has a decent lounge & the breakfast is much better than the Grab'n'go option;
- the Sheraton was fewer points (48 k vs. 54 k) & more convenient!

The only advantage this property has is a pool!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
I have just concluded a 5 night stay at this property staying on a pointsaver rate (32,500 points per night). SNAs successfully cleared and we stayed in a high floor junior suite.

Having previously lived in Newport in Jersey City, I am very familiar with the area. Although sterile, it is safe and well connected. Adjacent to the hotel is the Newport Centre Mall where you can benefit from the lower taxes of NJ over NY. You also have the PATH station 5 minutes away which can take you direct to Manhattan, either to Midtown (33rd Street) or the Financial District (World Trade Center).

The pointsaver rate was the key driver for selecting this property. Only 2 rooms per floor have a river view, one of which is the junior suite. My primary objective with the SNAs was to secure this view which proved successful - and it did not disappoint. Waking up to the below is easily in my top 5 views from any hotel room anywhere in the world.

The rooms themselves are worn but clean and comfortable. Our junior suite had a connecting door to the room adjacent which was not great, lying in bed I could hear music being played very clearly and some conversations. Thankfully, our neighbors were well behaved throughout.

Housekeeping is on demand. I requested each day via the Mariott app chat without issue.

The internet, surprisingly, was very slow - despite selecting the premium option. The area is well served by fiber connections, so why connectivity isn't better is a mystery to me.

The elite breakfast, as I was anticipating, was grab and go. From the thread on this board, I was bracing for the worst but actually we found it perfectly adequate. The hot option was a muffin with either egg, bacon and cheese or egg, sausage and cheese. There were a reasonable variety of pastries available, as well as yoghurt/fruit pots and juices. You could build your own grab and go from what was available. Quality was good and we happily took this option every morning we could.

Parking is self parking only and was a confusing affair. Despite the lot adjacent to the hotel having an entire Westin section and dedicated signage this is, apparently, meaningless. I asked the hotel to link the parking to my room (since the hotel rate is the same as the price on the lot) but was told that wasn't possible. The rate of $29 a night, although not the best, is reasonably competitive for the area.

So, overall a good stay. When you factor in the location, the rate and the view this was all superb value. The PATH is an inconvenience over a hotel directly in Manhattan for those sightseeing, but on the flip side you will find 2 PATH tickets ($5.50) far cheaper than the resort/location fees charged by properties over the river.
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Last edited by MrM2016; Jan 1, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MrM2016
I have just concluded a 5 night stay at this property staying on a pointsaver rate (32,500 points per night). SNAs successfully cleared and we stayed in a high floor junior suite.

Having previously lived in Newport in Jersey City, I am very familiar with the area. Although sterile, it is safe and well connected. Adjacent to the hotel is the Newport Centre Mall where you can benefit from the lower taxes of NJ over NY. You also have the PATH station 5 minutes away which can take you direct to Manhattan, either to Midtown (33rd Street) or the Financial District (World Trade Center).

The pointsaver rate was the key driver for selecting this property. Only 2 rooms per floor have a river view, one of which is the junior suite. My primary objective with the SNAs was to secure this view which proved successful - and it did not disappoint. Waking up to the below is easily in my top 5 views from any hotel room anywhere in the world.

The rooms themselves are worn but clean and comfortable. Our junior suite had a connecting door to the room adjacent which was not great, lying in bed I could hear music being played very clearly and some conversations. Thankfully, our neighbors were well behaved throughout.

Housekeeping is on demand. I requested each day via the Mariott app chat without issue.

The internet, surprisingly, was very slow - despite selecting the premium option. The area is well served by fiber connections, so why connectivity isn't better is a mystery to me.

The elite breakfast, as I was anticipating, was grab and go. From the thread on this board, I was bracing for the worst but actually we found it perfectly adequate. The hot option was a muffin with either egg, bacon and cheese or egg, sausage and cheese. There were a reasonable variety of pastries available, as well as yoghurt/fruit pots and juices. You could build your own grab and go from what was available. Quality was good and we happily took this option every morning we could.

Parking is self parking only and was a confusing affair. Despite the lot adjacent to the hotel having an entire Westin section and dedicated signage this is, apparently, meaningless. I asked the hotel to link the parking to my room (since the hotel rate is the same as the price on the lot) but was told that wasn't possible. The rate of $29 a night, although not the best, is reasonably competitive for the area.

So, overall a good stay. When you factor in the location, the rate and the view this was all superb value. The PATH is an inconvenience over a hotel directly in Manhattan for those sightseeing, but on the flip side you will find 2 PATH tickets ($5.50) far cheaper than the resort/location fees charged by properties over the river.
Wonderful shot! How much are the "resort/location" fees?

David
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DELee
Wonderful shot! How much are the "resort/location" fees?

David
$0!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:51 pm

Just stayed at this property this weekend.

Platinum members now gets choice of $10 per person at the now open lobby restaurant or grab and go service.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we chose grab and go both days. The lady at the bar allows you to take whatever you want; Breakfast sandwich, fresh pastries, yogurt/granola, fresh fruit cups, Clif bars, Kind bars, coffee, juice and water bottles were the options I remember.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Just stayed at this property this weekend.

Platinum members now gets choice of $10 per person at the now open lobby restaurant or grab and go service.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we chose grab and go both days. The lady at the bar allows you to take whatever you want; Breakfast sandwich, fresh pastries, yogurt/granola, fresh fruit cups, Clif bars, Kind bars, coffee, juice and water bottles were the options I remember.
The Grab & Go was the same when I stayed in December. Based on those two options, it is much better value than $10 off in the restaurant.
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.