Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Jersey City, NJ [Master Thread]

Just finished a one-night stay. Was given 1800/1801 corner room(s) with a (sort of) adjoining living room -- two rooms with separate doors behind another door. Kind of a weird set-up, but not complaining. Gorgeous view of lower Manhattan from the bedroom and bathroom (huge) windows. You can even take a bath and soak in the view .

Check-in was a bit hesitant, with the agent searching for an upgrade. I was a early, like noon. Once I got up to the room I discovered it hadn't been cleaned. No problem -- I just stuck my things in the living/dining room (1801). Wifi wouldn't connect at first so I went to the lobby (where it's free for an hour at at time, otherwise $9.99/day). Received an amenity of two Acqua Panna bottles and a small bowl of fruit. That was on top of the Platinum 500 points.

Didn't try the restaurant as I had plans in the city -- ended up sitting next to Leonardo DiCaprio and Mickey Rourke plus assorted models at Mr. Chow

It's a pretty convenient location. Normally one stop on PATH to Christopher Street from the Newport Station (but on Presidents' Day, all trains went thru Hoboken).

Staff very pleasant and welcoming. Located next to a mid-scale shopping mall. A nice alternative if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, although for most people, that's the point of being in NYC
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, US Plat/*G
Thanks for the report! Just out of curiosity, did you ask for the room upgrade or did they just do it for you? I have a stay coming up and was just curious. Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

They acknowledged my Plat status without asking. I then casually inquired about a suite when the agent was looking for a room. She was very accomodating. I'm not sure if they have "real" suites, or just the two (kinda) adjoining rooms like the ones I got.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC, AA, CO, SPG
Trip report

Finished a three night stay, Saturday to Tuesday, on President's Day weekend. As a plat, "upgraded" to the 18th floor, but that was it. I asked if anything better was available, and was told no, but given that I was checking in at 7:30pm on Valentine's Day, I didn't push it. (As context, I should add that in 2+ years as plat, I have only been upgraded to a suite once, and I always do ask. From reading flyertalk, it seems that my experience is atypically poor, so YMMV at this hotel as well...)

Room was fine, standard Westin. The hotel is situated such that no one side faces Manhattan, so all rooms have a partial manhattan view (i.e. if you crane your neck and look to the left of right, you have a view.) The exception to this would be if you end up in the corner room on the manhattan side, as the writer of the previous trip report did. Received the free water every day, but no fruit bowl. Bathroom seemed to be missing some sort of towel rack, but otherwise was as expected. Could be they just haven't put it up yet.

However, there is quite loud construction going on on the south side of the hotel in the adjacent lot on weekdays (or at least on the weekday I was there.) It looks as though someone is just starting to build a high-rise there, so I would imagine this would continue for some time. The construction seems to start at 8am, so if you plan on getting any sleep past that, I would request a room on the north-facing side of the hotel. Since my room was on the south side, I can't actually say for sure that being on the north side will solve the problem, but it would have to help.

The lobby of the hotel is nice, with a seemingly popular bar adjacent. The main hotel restaurant seemed to still be under construction, though with NYC so close, I wouldn't really suggest eating in Jersey City anyway. Take the PATH train to Christopher St, and you're right in the middle of the West Village.

The PATH train, as the previous poster noted, is much less efficient on weekends/holidays, because all trains reroute through Hoboken, and often wait there for 5-15 minutes as well before continuing, depending on how late at night you are traveling. On weekdays, the PATH can take 15 minutes to get into 33rd St, on the weekends, 25-30 minutes, and that isn't including how much less frequent trains are on the weekend. The hotel is very close to the PATH station (go out the door of the PATH station, look up and to your left, and you'll see the Westin), so even walking with bags it's not more than five minutes. For those of you not familiar with NYC, it's worth noting that you can use a regular MTA metrocard to pay for PATH rides as well, though it must be a card that holds a dollar amount (the MTA unlimited ride cards will not work on the PATH.)

Overall, I would stay at the property again. I stayed on the fabulously cheap starpicks rate of $109/night, which for me made the commute on the PATH worthwhile. If the rate here was higher, and a sub-$200 rate was available in Manhattan, though, I'd gladly dispense with the PATH train, particularly if the stay was on the weekend. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'm here now (please don't call). I self parked in the garage and there was no way to not get wet in the rain walking to check in. The Platinum upgrades must be considered high rise. I'm on the south side, have a partial view of Manhattan, but that's all. The restaurant is open. Food was great. But I was the only one in there tonight (it was 8:30 on...).

Everything looks brand new (because it is). Nice public spaces. Fast (only $9.95) wired Wi-Fi. They also have Wireless.

---------------------------

Just a morning update: The construction crew starts (like before 7 a.m.) very earlier next door to the south and are VERY Loud, pounding like crazy. And be warned, there isn't even a foundation to the building yet.

And the (false) fire alarm works wonderfully in this hotel. It's very loud. I'd upload a sample audio file of the great quality, if FT had the capability.

Last edited by jeffreyt; Feb 19, 2009 at 6:28 am Reason: Morning Update
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
There is also morning and evening ferry service during the week from the Newport terminal (just outside the hotel). It takes you to midtown (39th St.). If you're trying to get to mid or up town during the weekday rush hours this is a much better bet than PATH (though it's more expensive).

http://www.nywaterway.com
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
There is also morning and evening ferry service during the week from the Newport terminal (just outside the hotel). It takes you to midtown (39th St.). If you're trying to get to mid or up town during the weekday rush hours this is a much better bet than PATH (though it's more expensive).

http://www.nywaterway.com

Oooooh! Now that's cool. I take the ferry to the Weehawken Sheraton Suites a lot, and I love the quick, relaxing ride. Totally didn't realize that NY Waterway's Newport terminal was so close.

39th to Lincoln Harbor for the Sheraton Suites is $14 r/t. I guess Newport would be about the same, which is quite a bit more than $3.50 r/t for the PATH. But it's such a nice ride... thanks for letting us know that the terminal is so close!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bfrederi
...The hotel is situated such that no one side faces Manhattan, so all rooms have a partial manhattan view (i.e. if you crane your neck and look to the left of right, you have a view.) ....
Are you sure the North side can see Manhattan? The reason I say this is that I looked out the windows in the elevator foyer and there is a big building across Washington from the hotel. From there, you can see maybe 5% of the water and a couple buildings in mid-town, but I wouldn't call it a view. A glance, maybe. The south side, while not an outstanding view, had a much better view of the Manhattan Skyline.

Also, I'm going to stay here again too. It's definitely a quiet area (except for the construction noise).
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:02 am

How much is parking at this property?

Anyone can comment on how easy it is to drive here from LaGuardia? I am planning to arrive on a Thursday night and leave on Sunday afternoon. It's my first time in NYC, and all I've heard is that it's terrible to drive in this city. Just wanna get an idea of what to expect...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bradcc

Anyone can comment on how easy it is to drive here from LaGuardia? I am planning to arrive on a Thursday night and leave on Sunday afternoon. It's my first time in NYC, and all I've heard is that it's terrible to drive in this city. Just wanna get an idea of what to expect...

Self parking is $22 a night. Warning: It's a bit of a hike, walking from the next-door garage (2nd level) down to the hotel. Recommend $28 valet parking if it's cold or raining.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

YOU'RE RENTING A CAR IN NYC??
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
YOU'RE RENTING A CAR IN NYC??
I am planning to drive to the hotel, leave the car there, and take subway/trains/taxi for my visits within the city. The rental car will only be used to get to the hotel...

Is the drive going to be a total nightmare?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I am planning to drive to the hotel, leave the car there, and take subway/trains/taxi for my visits within the city. The rental car will only be used to get to the hotel...

Is the drive going to be a total nightmare?
IMHO, that is truely a waste of money. You can take the bus from LGA to the N train. Take the N train to 34 Street then transfer to the Path. That will take you to Jersey.

Why pay for a car rental plus parking?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:54 am
Original Member

I would not rent a car coming to this property and working in Manhattan either. Parking is $22 a day as was mentioned, plus tolls from LGA, plus gas, plus the car itself. In total, it can set you back more than $150 where as public transportation can be had for much less money. And while one may think you can drive quicker, the reality is that if you get stuck on one of the cross-town streets in Manhattan and hit the Holland Tunnel at its peak, you could take hours driving. With the PATH train and the NYWaterway ferry terminal so close, I would use public transportation.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:55 am

Is it safe to take subway/train at night? Sorry for the silly question.. but our flight arrives LGA at 8PM and should we be concerned about safety on the trains to Jersey?

On a side note, how much would taxi cost from LGA to this property?

Thanks a lot for helping a NYC n00bie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.