Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Thanks for the info FoodieOnTour.

I managed to get a copy of the Instant Awards from the hotel, added as a wiki.

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 5, 2014 at 6:49 am
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I just used points and redeemed for a River View Junior Suite. I believe I have access to the ROS Towers Lounge but want to confirm because the ROS website distinguishes between the Junior Suite and Towers Junior Suite. Any clarification would be helpful.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I just used points and redeemed for a River View Junior Suite. I believe I have access to the ROS Towers Lounge but want to confirm because the ROS website distinguishes between the Junior Suite and Towers Junior Suite. Any clarification would be helpful.
The River View Junior Suite/ Executive Suites do not come with a lounge access unless it is the towers junior suite/ towers executive suites. You can refer to their site( where you book the rooms) and you will see the description of the non-towers suites do not include the lounge access.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DurandilToss
The River View Junior Suite/ Executive Suites do not come with a lounge access unless it is the towers junior suite/ towers executive suites. You can refer to their site( where you book the rooms) and you will see the description of the non-towers suites do not include the lounge access.
OK thanks. That is what I feared.

Can I booked, using SPG points, a Deluxe Room then call the hotel and use additional Starpoints (per the Wiki 6,750) to upgrade to the Towers lounge? Or is that offer only eligible for paid Deluxe room offers?

Last edited by mh3265a; Feb 8, 2014 at 9:40 pm Reason: clarify
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
OK thanks. That is what I feared.

Can I booked, using SPG points, a Deluxe Room then call the hotel and use additional Starpoints (per the Wiki 6,750) to upgrade to the Towers lounge? Or is that offer only eligible for paid Deluxe room offers?
I think that the 6750 points is just for the lounge access and does not depend on the category of the room. ( essentially deluxe rooms and executive rooms are the same with the additional lounge access as well as located on higher floors). Just to be sure you can just drop the hotel an email and they will verify this fact with you.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by DurandilToss
I think that the 6750 points is just for the lounge access and does not depend on the category of the room. ( essentially deluxe rooms and executive rooms are the same with the additional lounge access as well as located on higher floors). Just to be sure you can just drop the hotel an email and they will verify this fact with you.
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I can confirm that they emailed and offered me the same upgrade to a Towers room for 6750/ night on a booking for the basic room type.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: lh sen
I know that the ROS is a little outdated and we usually stay at the LM on Surawong. This time we decided to give the ROS a try after we travelled for four weeks in Thailand (Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao and had no issues with diarrhea at all) and the area of Silom and Patpong is still blocked by the oponents to the government.. On our arriving evening two of us took a orange juice and two of us took just water in the lounge. The two with the orange juice started immediately vomiting and having a severe diarrhea when they arrived in their rooms. The next morning I went to the BNH, an upscaled hospital in Bangkok, and they diagnosed a very heavy gastroenteritis, they took a stool probe and the result was a contamination with E. coli. As in our group of 4 people we had always the same food and only two of us had the orange juice in the lounge there is a quiet big chance that the gastroenteritis was caused by this bacteria some how transmitted with the orange juice. We never used the lounge again and moved to another hotel.

Last edited by carpetbagger; Feb 22, 2014 at 2:36 am
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Ouch. I hope you contacted the hotel management, if not for your own sake, for other patrons?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
From the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/reportingtimeline.htm
Incubation time: The time from eating the contaminated food to the beginning of symptoms. For E. coli O157, this is typically 3-4 days.
There's no way they could "immediately" start vomiting from ingesting E. coli. They must have gotten it from somewhere else.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
From the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/reportingtimeline.htm

There's no way they could "immediately" start vomiting from ingesting E. coli. They must have gotten it from somewhere else.

Thank you. I will give this information to the BNH Hospital to Dr.Luksana - the incubation time in Germany can be much shorter -1 hour to 6 days- then in the US.http://link.springer.com/article/10....0050353#page-1

It seems that the incubation time can vary by race, country you live in, by your age or by your personal health status.

Anyway we are not here to discuss medicine. The ROS find a way to please me and I am sure that they will keep high hygienic standards in future. It could have happenend - and it happens often - as well in the US, in Switzerland or in RSA.

Last edited by carpetbagger; Feb 24, 2014 at 8:57 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Adding my experience staying at ROS as a Plat. I received a river view deluxe room and access to the lounge (due to SPG Plat status). The lounge services was fairly extensive including breakfast, afternoon tea, and light dinner.

Pro
- Views of the river, both from my room and from the lounge. Lounge is spacious and has a wide view of North/South of the river
- Service generally pretty good
- Restaurants/bars right by the river which is a nice place to just lounge around
- Boat from BTS was very comfortable. They even offered cold towels and water for the short ride.
- Evening snack/light dinner service seemed good. Could be a meal replacement.

Con
- Location works if you are going to spend a lot of time along the river. There is a boat to BTS Saphin Taksim but it only runs every 30 min
- Slight housekeeping flaw - saw a used/opened amenity bag with the cotton/q-tips still left in a drawer
- Upgraded and then downgraded. I saw on my SPG account that I had been upgraded to a Suite so was really excited about that. When I arrived (late 11pm arrival) I was then downgraded to a Deluxe room. No explanation at all at first so I pushed back and spoke to the duty manager. His excuse was that they suddenly had a lot of Plats book and were all out. I think this is pretty poor form - if they weren't going to upgrade me, then don't do it and then change their mind.

Overall I probably won't be back as I think the location doesn't work for me. And the whole downgrade situation just left a bad taste.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Better to have had a shot at the upgrade vs. not at all. It meant they put you in that room, at least at some point, and spg.com updated automatically.

I'd rather be disappointed but have a chance than disappointed no chance.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Looking for a stay in bangkok and noticed prices for ROS ridiculously low. By any chance they are having renovations there now?

Also I have SNA I have to use which hotel would the SNA be best used in? (Certain hotels give better upgrades to SNA versus regular play upgrades)

Will be with the missus and from reading through the thread it seems PA is a favorite. I thank you all for your kind input and discussions!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BryanHuang
Looking for a stay in bangkok and noticed prices for ROS ridiculously low. By any chance they are having renovations there now?

Also I have SNA I have to use which hotel would the SNA be best used in? (Certain hotels give better upgrades to SNA versus regular play upgrades)

Will be with the missus and from reading through the thread it seems PA is a favorite. I thank you all for your kind input and discussions!
If you intend to stay at ROS always check third party sites for discount rates. Last year they raised the category and pricing with it but the property doesn't really justify it, hence the backdoor discounts and lots of tour groups.

Both the PA and LM have better suites and better locations unless you really want the river view. PA and LM both give full buffet breakfast and good plat recognition but the lounge at ROS is good for the river view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.