Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
My clear choice (for you) would be the W French Quarter on Chartres over the W on Poydras. It's an intimately scaled hotel, and even has windows that open! Plus it's right in the FQ. Given that I'm usually stumbling out of Harrah's at some ungodly hour, I typically stay at the W Poydras. I stayed at the Sheraton once and it struck me as a big smelly convention hotel
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:20 pm

I would second the W on Chartres. Stayed there the Fri, Sat and Sun before Katrina and got a large two room suite with a balcony over looking the street. If not for having to escape, it would have been one of our favorite rooms.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
My clear choice (for you) would be the W French Quarter on Chartres over the W on Poydras. It's an intimately scaled hotel, and even has windows that open! Plus it's right in the FQ.
I agree 100%, having stayed at both hotels. The W New Orleans French Quarter (Chartres) is far more luxurious and charming and has a better location than the ugly impersonal high-rise W New Orleans (Poydras) in the CBD. The disadvantage if you don't use points is you will probably pay more for the W French Quarter.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The only problem woth the W FQ is that it is on a rather dark and noisy stretch of Chartres=right accross from the House of Blues and do you really care about windows that open unto the French Quarter in September(Still hot and very Humid,add the noise and interesting smells that imminate from the street
If you are a party girl than maybe this will not bother you.

But folks who have stayed there seem to like it for the most part-but some recent posters have not had good experiences nor great success with upgrades.

The Sheraton has undergone a very thorough renovation within the past year.

Call the plat. concierge and ask about points to book a suite at both properties.I just don;t think you should leave this to chance if you really need/want a suite.
Since it is still low season you might check cash prices at both of these properties also-if cheap enough it might be a point earning rather than point burning opportunity

ps-notice NO ONE is recomending the Westin-kind of sad since it is a new property-another example of Columbia Su(cks)ssex ruining a great property with their cheapness.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation Book A Suite In Advance

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
ps-notice NO ONE is recomending the Westin-kind of sad since it is a new property-another example of Columbia Su(cks)ssex ruining a great property with their cheapness.
Biggie, I recommended it. The W French Quarter is too noisy for my taste. The OP says she wants space for planning, etc.

There are three properties very close to her main location. I think the OP should book a suite or book a room then use points to upgrade in advance instead of taking the chance on an upgrade.

If rxn20, do one of those two things, then I don't want to hear any lip after the fact, that the property chosen, was stingy about the upgrade, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:34 pm

Question New Orleans Starwood properties

Has anyone had a recent stay at either of the W's or the Westin in New Orleans? The recent reviews I read were pretty bad and I have a reservation next month. Please advise!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
avoid the W Bourbon St. It is a rat-hole. Dumpy, loud rooms. Indifferent, uncaring staff. Westin is fine but certainly nothing special...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've done several stays in NOLA and have visited all the properties in/near the French Quarter. They all have good and bad points:

Sheraton on Canal - more your typical Starwood property, good location easy access to the FQ, but far enough away to not be bothered by it. The only one in the area with a club room that I know of.

W on Chartres - old FQ building with renovations, good choice if you want to be IN the FQ, usually not worth the rate uplift.

W on Poydras - away from the FQ but still walkable. New building but noisey rooms. Right across the street from Mother's (which I wish they'd use for their room service!). But more of your typical big city W. Furnishings still show effects of Katrina.

Westin - on the edge of the FQ, sturdy olderish building but nice rooms. Very service oriented. Was there just before Gustauf and very proactive trying to get guests out of town in time. The rooftop pool as a good view of the area.

My personal preference starts with the Sheraton, Westin, and then the W on Poydras. Never stayed at W on Chartres, but have visited friends staying there many times.

BTW, there is no W on Bourbon...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
W Chartres is fine (not great), especially if you are using points. The bathrooms are weird (sliding door that doesn't close all the way), so maybe not the best if you are with a friend. Rooms overlooking the courtyard can be loud when their music is blasting, but its a small property, and the bed are comfortable. W Poydras is further from the quarter, and more of a typical W. Sheraton is typical. Haven't stayed at the Westin but I've heard good things. Overall though, I think the *wood properties are overpriced in New Orleans, compared to Marriott properties. There's many better hotels in New Orleans than *wood (Ritz, Loews, Omni, Windsor Court), which are about the same pricepoint or cheaper than the Ws.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Westin is the best one out of all the starwood downtown properties.
W New Orleans does have good modern furniture. But the rooms are small and old.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:02 am

Nice Rates in New Orleans

I'm heading there in June (will be staying at all 4 properties) and found some pretty good rates -- the highest (W French Quarter's on pts) was $105 w/ a BRG. Look for the W on Poydras' travelzoo promotion which is at $89.

I'm looking forward to visiting but can anyone tell me if City Park (Ralph's on the Park) is worth leaving downtown?

-OilersFL
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:20 pm

New Orleans

Just returned from NO. We stayed at Starwoods Sheraton on Canal St. Nice hotel except for couple of items. These are very noisy rooms even though we were on one of the higher club level floors. Everytime a door shut to one of the rooms on our floor, it slammed shut. Rather rough for sleeping on a Saturday night. Also, we had a room with a floor to ceiling window. It could have been a nice view, except the window was filthy.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OilersFL

I'm looking forward to visiting but can anyone tell me if City Park (Ralph's on the Park) is worth leaving downtown?

-OilersFL
Yes. ^ If you mean Ralph's.
Nice park if you like parks and humidity.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've done several stays in NOLA and have visited all the properties in/near the French Quarter. They all have good and bad points:

Sheraton on Canal - more your typical Starwood property, good location easy access to the FQ, but far enough away to not be bothered by it. The only one in the area with a club room that I know of.

W on Chartres - old FQ building with renovations, good choice if you want to be IN the FQ, usually not worth the rate uplift.

W on Poydras - away from the FQ but still walkable. New building but noisey rooms. Right across the street from Mother's (which I wish they'd use for their room service!). But more of your typical big city W. Furnishings still show effects of Katrina.

Westin - on the edge of the FQ, sturdy olderish building but nice rooms. Very service oriented. Was there just before Gustauf and very proactive trying to get guests out of town in time. The rooftop pool as a good view of the area.

My personal preference starts with the Sheraton, Westin, and then the W on Poydras. Never stayed at W on Chartres, but have visited friends staying there many times.

BTW, there is no W on Bourbon...
x2 on this review. Good stuff. I would agree with virtually everything above, including the Sheraton as my first choice. I have stayed at the Sheraton 5 nights over three stays since July 2008.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:06 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Bump. Anything new on the Westin? Thinking of going to NOLA over Xmas. Prices are so cheap doesn't make sense to use points. Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.