Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
We stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm in mid-July and had a nice stay. As Platinum, received upgrade to a junior suite with view of City Hall. Also complimentary buffet breakfast. Club Lounge had good evening hors-d'oeuvres with different variations of salmon and other Scandinavian type food. Front Desk staff and Club Lounge Staff spoke good English. Great location as can easily walk to Gamla Stan, the subway, and to ferries to both Vaxholm and Drottningholm Palace (thought we took the subway and bus there).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by flyalotlm
We stayed at the Sheraton Stockholm in mid-July and had a nice stay. As Platinum, received upgrade to a junior suite with view of City Hall. Also complimentary buffet breakfast. Club Lounge had good evening hors-d'oeuvres with different variations of salmon and other Scandinavian type food. Front Desk staff and Club Lounge Staff spoke good English. Great location as can easily walk to Gamla Stan, the subway, and to ferries to both Vaxholm and Drottningholm Palace (thought we took the subway and bus there).
Agree. I am here now. As a Gold we booked a 2 Queen Club Floor Lake View room on a BRG rate. Apparently we are allowed breakfast in the restaurant as well, though we will see if the agents charge for a 3rd breakfast (we have three people in one room). The FD agent assured me there wouldn't, but sometimes they mess up.

No upgrade, but the hotel was completely full when we checked in (and subsequently full most nights we are here).

Lounge is decent, has Scandinavian delicacies and usually one hot item and a cheese board (Vasterbottenost please!). Good selection of alcohol (and liquor) during evening happy hour.

Breakfast in the restaurant gets VERY busy past 9:00-9:30 or so, so I would recommend getting down there early if you are here during the summer. There was a massive queue when we were leaving the other day full of people waiting to be seated.

One big plus is the Nespresso machines in the lounge with takeaway paper cups so you can enjoy on the go. ^
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I am thinking about asking to pay for lounge access here instead of dining out most of the time Do you think it would be worth it?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am thinking about asking to pay for lounge access here instead of dining out most of the time Do you think it would be worth it?
In short, IMHO, no. The evening lounge offerings are not really enough to substitute for dinner, and I don't think you would save that much paying for daily lounge access versus dining out. We did not find Stockholm to be unreasonably expensive.

The hot items while we were there changed daily--veggie spring rolls one night, chicken drumsticks the other, and the other nights we dined out. If you are looking for veggies, you won't find them in the lounge either. There is always salmon and a cheese plate with Brie (sometimes Vasterbottenost, though I think I may have ate it all ).

We really only used the lounge to grab a few drinks/coffee, and sometimes a light appetizer before dinner. That being said, we did probably save a substantial amount with breakfast.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, I personally would skip the lounge access and browse Tripadvisor/Yelp to find inexpensive offerings. We ate at two food halls during our stay, Hotorgshallen and Ostermalms Saluhall, which had a variety of vendors and casual restaurants that offered great Swedish food at reasonable prices.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bj27
In short, IMHO, no. The evening lounge offerings are not really enough to substitute for dinner, and I don't think you would save that much paying for daily lounge access versus dining out. We did not find Stockholm to be unreasonably expensive.

The hot items while we were there changed daily--veggie spring rolls one night, chicken drumsticks the other, and the other nights we dined out. If you are looking for veggies, you won't find them in the lounge either. There is always salmon and a cheese plate with Brie (sometimes Vasterbottenost, though I think I may have ate it all ).

We really only used the lounge to grab a few drinks/coffee, and sometimes a light appetizer before dinner. That being said, we did probably save a substantial amount with breakfast.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, I personally would skip the lounge access and browse Tripadvisor/Yelp to find inexpensive offerings. We ate at two food halls during our stay, Hotorgshallen and Ostermalms Saluhall, which had a variety of vendors and casual restaurants that offered great Swedish food at reasonable prices.
Thank you for the great response. You convinced me to save my money.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
As a Plat100, got a welcome personal letter from the GM Lars Van Der Most, a bottle of red wine, and chocolates with berries. 1st night was only upgraded to club room across 7th floor lounge as hotel was literally fully booked.

However, on my 2nd night (on a 5 night stay), they upgraded me to a suite when I came back from boat tour.
The folks hear are SUPER DUPER nice and I have not met one who was rude. They really went out of their way to ensure I am happy with my stay.

However....the lounge gets really packed starting 530 and it's so hard to get a seat (writing this now on a stool) as it's THAT packed for 2 nights now.

Lounge offerings tonight is all you can eat shrimp and chicken legs, and the usual red beets, and typical European healthy food. Alcoholic beverages have red rose and white wine, vodka, gin, and whiskey, and champagne or is it sparkling wine?

Anywhooooo....take the Arlanda express. It's 280 SEK per way and hotel is so walking distance. Better than the 530 SEK taxi per way

Also, for tours...turn right outside hotel and walk 5-10 minutes and you'll be in the heart of everything. No point taking a paid tour of 450SEK when you can do it on your own

PS: I wish i know how to post photos here but the lounge offerings from 1730 to 1930 IS like dinner! So filling

Last edited by supatight80; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG platinum, AA platinum, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Oh Supatight80, clearly my Plat94 was not worthy of the kind of upgrades you received that may have also been b/c it was me and my mother and we needed 2 beds which when I was checking in, it seemed that the upgrades were all king beds. We did have a nice top floor room with a balcony overlooking the river and the sunset.

Also, all i got was a signed note and some truffles. No wine! Where is my wine?! Where are my berries?!

Anyhow, great hotel, great stay, great location (and super cheap thanks to my recent SPG promo sheraton redemption). Club access was fantastic--though, it did make one a bit lazy since there was always some comfort and food available for freeee just down the hall.

One thing: two pieces of my underwear went missing. I have never lost anything before in traveling so I can only assume the worst, but that is very strange indeed.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:16 am

Can someone explain breakfast at restaurant vs breakfast at club lounge? Which breakfast does the breakfast rate include and what are the offerings?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Can someone explain breakfast at restaurant vs breakfast at club lounge? Which breakfast does the breakfast rate include and what are the offerings?
It’s the usual situation: the lounge breakfast offers far less choice and variety. If you’re a breakfast person, go to the restaurant. If you just want coffee and croissant, go to the lounge. The most outstanding thing I can remember is a flavorful Swedish raw ham. There were also some great red berries that I had with granola and yogurt. For the Platinum breakfast benefit the hotel offers a choice of either venue. I suppose the breakfast included rate would be in the restaurant only for non-club level guests.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
It’s the usual situation: the lounge breakfast offers far less choice and variety. If you’re a breakfast person, go to the restaurant. If you just want coffee and croissant, go to the lounge. The most outstanding thing I can remember is a flavorful Swedish raw ham. There were also some great red berries that I had with granola and yogurt. For the Platinum breakfast benefit the hotel offers a choice of either venue. I suppose the breakfast included rate would be in the restaurant only for non-club level guests.

OK, if I book the club level room on points, is it possible to have breakfast at the restaurant? There doesn't seem to be a way to book a breakfast-included rate on points
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:34 am

Odd, when I call the hotel, they say it's the same offerings for breakfast in the lounge and at the restaurant except for the herring? What gives...
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:46 am

Odd, when I call the hotel, they say it's the same offerings for breakfast in the lounge and at the restaurant except for the herring? What gives...
As for whether they will allow breakfast in the restaurant at the club level points rate, I would suggest you ask when you next call.

As for the offerings, my experience is that the club lounge is far more limited in the variety of offerings. Furthermore, the club lounge is often crowded. I did try both during my last stay. But, of course, things may have changed.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:58 am

As for whether they will allow breakfast in the restaurant at the club level points rate, I would suggest you ask when you next call.

As for the offerings, my experience is that the club lounge is far more limited in the variety of offerings. Furthermore, the club lounge is often crowded. I did try both during my last stay. But, of course, things may have changed.
They said, yes, you are allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant if you book the club level room rate. But then said the selection is the same, which is why I'm confused, because that's not what you are saying. I am just wondering if it's worth to book that rate on points... I don't know what just cold cuts... If there are hot options for breakfast, then I'd want to book this rate.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:39 pm

They said, yes, you are allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant if you book the club level room rate. But then said the selection is the same, which is why I'm confused, because that's not what you are saying. I am just wondering if it's worth to book that rate on points... I don't know what just cold cuts... If there are hot options for breakfast, then I'd want to book this rate.
The selection was not the same, as I remember it.

Now that you’ve got me thinking about all this, there was one morning when we went to the lounge, had coffee and some bread, and then an hour later went downstairs to the restaurant where we had breakfast again with friends. Nobody seemed to object, so it may be permissible to try both breakfasts. A similar situation occurs with the cocktail hour: there was a self-service buffet with drinks in the lounge or two served cocktails with a snack plate in the bar downstairs, with very loud US jazz music. If I remember correctly, the bar version requires coupons issued by the front desk. Since the music became too loud for us, we went to the lounge one evening. Nobody seemed to object to that either. So perhaps you can have two breakfasts and two cocktail hours each day.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:42 pm

The selection was not the same, as I remember it.

Now that you’ve got me thinking about all this, there was one morning when we went to the lounge, had coffee and some bread, and then an hour later went downstairs to the restaurant where we had breakfast again with friends. Nobody seemed to object, so it may be permissible to try both breakfasts. A similar situation occurs with the cocktail hour: there was a self-service buffet with drinks in the lounge or two served cocktails with a snack plate in the bar downstairs, with very loud US jazz music. If I remember correctly, the bar version requires coupons issued by the front desk. Since the music became too loud for us, we went to the lounge one evening. Nobody seemed to object to that either. So perhaps you can have two breakfasts and two cocktail hours each day.
Thanks. So any hot dishes (eggs, pancakes, etc?) served for breakfast at the restaurant? Decent variety?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.